KX3 Remove plastic film on display?

Kevin Luxford
Hi guys,

I have started the assembly of KX3 0570.  I have mounted the display
board in the front cover.  The next step is the assembly of the bezel.
My question is, should the plastic film covering the display be gently
peeled off?  Mine has some air bubbles underneath it, which suggests
that perhaps it should be removed.  However, I do not want to repeat the
costly mistake I made when assembling my K2!

Thanks in advance.

73
Kevin
VK3DAP / ZL2DAP

Re: KX3 Remove plastic film on display?

Thomas Horsten
Kevin,

I thought "that's got to be something I peel off" and then as I started and
all the segments blurred out in black as I peeled it off I thought "damn,
that was wrong, bye bye LCD". Luckily I was wrong :)

A note in the assembly guide might provide reassurance.

73, Thomas M0TRN

On 9 July 2012 16:14, Kevin Luxford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have started the assembly of KX3 0570.  I have mounted the display
> board in the front cover.  The next step is the assembly of the bezel.
> My question is, should the plastic film covering the display be gently
> peeled off?  Mine has some air bubbles underneath it, which suggests
> that perhaps it should be removed.  However, I do not want to repeat the
> costly mistake I made when assembling my K2!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> 73
> Kevin
> VK3DAP / ZL2DAP

Re: KX3 Remove plastic film on display?

Thomas Horsten
Does this apply to the kit version? I'd have thought it was in place to
protect the LCD in transit and during handling while assembling (until it's
installed and the bezel takes over that protective role). In the factory
built version it'd be very fiddly to remove it, but in the kit it's easy
enough to remove although due care should be taken and a note to that
effect in the assembly manual might be helpful.

73, Thomas

On 9 July 2012 23:00, Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The film is supposed to have removed at the factory for just that reason.
> Also, sometimes it is so well placed it's not obvious and people have
> ruined
> the display by damaging the cover glass trying to peel up an edge.
>
> That's why the K3 LCD display comes without the film.
>
> Apparently some got shipped with the film in place by accident.
>
> 73 Ron AC7AC

k6dgw
On 7/9/2012 2:05 PM, Thomas Horsten wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> I thought "that's got to be something I peel off" and then as I started and
> all the segments blurred out in black as I peeled it off I thought "damn,
> that was wrong, bye bye LCD". Luckily I was wrong :)

Removing protective films and tapes from some plastics seems to often
generate a fairly hefty static charge.  That might be what affected your
LCD ... temporarily.  I had the same question when I built my K2.
Somehow, the film had managed to sneak by the Elecraft Kit QC.  I read
once that pulling Scotch tape off a roll in a dispenser fairly rapidly
will generate x-rays.  I have no idea if that one is true.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: KX3 Remove plastic film on display?

Kevin Luxford
Thanks to all who responded to my post.  I will now gently remove the
film.  It was reassuring to learn that some LCDs were shipped with the
film still in place.

As for the generation of x-rays, I doubt that there would be sufficient
energy in the removal to do that.  Might be a job for the Mythbusters.

Again, thanks to all.

73
Kevin
VK3DAP / ZL2DAP

On 10/07/2012 9:06 AM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> Yes, along with visible flashes of light if you're in darkness and your eyes
> have had time to adapt.
>
> As film photographer old enough to have used sheet-cut film, I learned to
> never use that tape on the back of undeveloped negative films.
>
> Ron AC7AC

Stephen G4SJP
I believe it may well be UV which is produced, certainly visible light is.
 I agree that the energy is too small for the production of x rays, after
all you need to accelerate electrons through 10kV or so to produce x rays.
  UV radiation exists across a wide energy range compared with visible
light.

Stephen F/G4SJP
KX3 in the Vaucluse (where it's a little warm for an Englishman!)

On Tuesday, 10 July 2012, Kevin Luxford wrote:

> Thanks to all who responded to my post.  I will now gently remove the
> film.  It was reassuring to learn that some LCDs were shipped with the
> film still in place.
>
> As for the generation of x-rays, I doubt that there would be sufficient
> energy in the removal to do that.  Might be a job for the Mythbusters.
>
> Again, thanks to all.
>
> 73
> Kevin
> VK3DAP / ZL2DAP
>
> On 10/07/2012 9:06 AM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
> > Yes, along with visible flashes of light if you're in darkness and your
> eyes
> > have had time to adapt.
> >
> > As film photographer old enough to have used sheet-cut film, I learned to
> > never use that tape on the back of undeveloped negative films.
> >
> > Ron AC7AC

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: KX3 Remove plastic film on display?

Edward R Cole
peeled mine off with no issues!  "...except all the liquid in the LCD
leaked all over!" (joke)

I figured it was standard to protect the LCD screen.  Certainly
avoided a bunch of finger prints that way.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: k3/ P-5 vs. SDR's

N0AZZ
Let me start by saying that I belong to several radio reflectors and know
they all have their cheerleaders no matter what radio or device it might be.
We all know that there are not a perfect radio, car, amp whatever and those
that find no fault with anything are only fooling themselves.

My question and point both is about the P-5 that I was looking closely at
after reading everything here and on the website about it. It sounded like
and excellent choice with a lot of features that tied it to the K3 plus with
the VGA adapter for a larger screen size made it look even more attractive.
Was making out a wish list with things I wanted for a K3, on it just for a
pricing standpoint option/filter wise.

After being directed to eHam from the company website for reviews on the P-5
I read them all. I might say with all reviews on eHam there I usually throw
out all 5 and 0/1 ratings as I imagine many of you do also. I read them but
place little credence in them the 2 on eHam that I did read carefully were
comparisons and point after point that seemed to be real short comings of
the P-5 not being ready for prime time. They were not digs by any means and
said what a great unit it "could" become then compared it to several SDR's
which I do or have owned and the Lp-PAN which sold. He gave them much higher
marks for a spectrum analyzer and why for each function plus another
receiver to boot.

Can someone please give me the benefits of the P-5's display over the
superior one of my current SDR-IQ and hi rez screen support. Or if there are
a lot of improvements coming to the P-5 very soon and if so when and what
are they. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thx and 73,

Fred/N0AZZ

Re: k3/ P-5 vs. SDR's

Oliver Dröse
What's a "P-5", Fred? Or are you referring to the Elecraft P3?

73, Olli - DH8BQA

> Let me start by saying that I belong to several radio reflectors and know
> they all have their cheerleaders no matter what radio or device it might
> be.
> We all know that there are not a perfect radio, car, amp whatever and
> those
> that find no fault with anything are only fooling themselves.
>
> My question and point both is about the P-5 that I was looking closely at
> after reading everything here and on the website about it. It sounded like
> and excellent choice with a lot of features that tied it to the K3 plus
> with
> the VGA adapter for a larger screen size made it look even more
> attractive.
> Was making out a wish list with things I wanted for a K3, on it just for a
> pricing standpoint option/filter wise.
>
> After being directed to eHam from the company website for reviews on the
> P-5
> I read them all. I might say with all reviews on eHam there I usually
> throw
> out all 5 and 0/1 ratings as I imagine many of you do also. I read them
> but
> place little credence in them the 2 on eHam that I did read carefully were
> comparisons and point after point that seemed to be real short comings of
> the P-5 not being ready for prime time. They were not digs by any means
> and
> said what a great unit it "could" become then compared it to several SDR's
> which I do or have owned and the Lp-PAN which sold. He gave them much
> higher
> marks for a spectrum analyzer and why for each function plus another
> receiver to boot.
>
> Can someone please give me the benefits of the P-5's display over the
> superior one of my current SDR-IQ and hi rez screen support. Or if there
> are
> a lot of improvements coming to the P-5 very soon and if so when and what
> are they. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thx and 73,
>
> Fred/N0AZZ

> -----
> E-Mail ist virenfrei.
> Von AVG uberpruft - www.avg.de
> Version: 2012.0.2195 / Virendatenbank: 2437/5122 - Ausgabedatum:
> 09.07.2012

Re: k3/ P-5 vs. SDR's

Ken G Kopp
Fred

Are you asking about the Elecraft P3, or is there another piece
of equipment with the model number "P5"?

73!

Ken Kopp - K0PP

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Fred Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Let me start by saying that I belong to several radio reflectors and know
> they all have their cheerleaders no matter what radio or device it might be.
> We all know that there are not a perfect radio, car, amp whatever and those
> that find no fault with anything are only fooling themselves.
>
> My question and point both is about the P-5 that I was looking closely at
> after reading everything here and on the website about it. It sounded like

Re: k3/ P-5 vs. SDR's

Dave Johnson
Fred the big advantage of the P3 (I assume you meant to type P3), is
that it is at eye level with the K3. Also the programmable function
buttons have the appropriate text above them when "Labels" are turned
on.

In my opinion there is no advantage whatsoever in having an external
display for a P3, the resolution of the P3 LCD screen is more than
adequate. The images shown on the web do not do justice to the P3
screen. I do use reading glasses if that makes any difference...

I also have an SDR, a Microtelecom Perseus, which I used to run in
parallel with the K3 on a 17 inch LCD screen... Since getting the P3
the only use I have for the Perseus is with CW Skimmer and occasional
use as a spectrum analyser.

73 Dave, G4AON

>Can someone please give me the benefits of the P-5's display over the
>superior one of my current SDR-IQ and hi rez screen support. Or if there are
>a lot of improvements coming to the P-5 very soon and if so when and what
>are they. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thx and 73,
>
>Fred/N0AZZ

Re: k3/ P-5 vs. SDR's

Vic Rosenthal
I strongly disagree. There are two very big advantages of the external display with a
large, high-resolution monitor.

One is that you can use Fixed mode -- that is the mode that allows the frequency range to
remain fixed while you tune the K3 -- to view the whole CW or phone segment of the band
and still have sufficient resolution to pick out individual signals in a pileup.

The second is that the waterfall section of the display will be much larger, giving you a
long 'memory'. You can look at the waterfall and see where signals WERE half a minute ago
or more.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA