KX3 Standoffs

Mitch Wolfson, DJØQN / K7DX
I am not getting very far in building my KX3, stuck on the front panel
standoffs. There appears to be inconsistency between parts of the
assembly manual and what I received, here is short summary:

page 14: Both parts on this page indicate a 4.8 mm standoff with a short
"female" top. The bottom part however says that this is a larger 4-40
one and the diagram says use a #4 washer for this specific standoff. The
top smaller standoff on the top part is called 2-56.

page 15: This indicates that they are both 7.9 mm, not 4.8 mm as on page 14.

page A3: This says there is one each 7.9 mm and 4.8 mm, with the 4.8 mm
(smaller one) being called the 4-40 and the larger one 2-56, backwards
from page 14.

What I received: I have three standoffs, against what I think should be
5 in total (including the ones one page A4). I received two 4.8 mm with
a long female top, not short as in the diagram. The third one is a short
female top, but with a length of 7.9 mm. I did not receive any 11 mm
standoffs as indicated in page A4. Most likely the 7.9 mm one is the one
that is supposed to go into the hole on the bottom of page 14, but I
can't correlate enough to assume that 100%. None of the standoffs fit
into the hole on the top part of page 14.

Since I have found a couple other screws missing, I likely need to
inform Elecraft to send me replacements for these as well, but I need to
know which standoffs I need to ask for, since the manual appears to be
inconsistent.

Has anyone else had a problem figuring out the standoffs, or am I the
only one finding inconsistencies in the manual?

73,
Mitch DJ0QN

--
Mitch Wolfson
DJØQN / K7DX

Re: KX3 Standoffs

Bruce Beford-2
Mitch-

I don't have my kit yet. However, reviewing the manual and your statement
brings one point to mind.

The Items listed on page A3 should all be in one bag of hardware, labeled
E850532, front panel (top cover) hardware. Everything you need to assemble
the front panel should be from that one bag. Page A4 lists hardware from the
bag for the rear panel (bottom cover) assembly, bag E850533. Have you mixed
the contents of the two bags together? This would make it harder to sort and
inventory the parts.

GL,

Bruce, N1RX

Re: KX3 Standoffs

Mitch Wolfson, DJØQN / K7DX
Hi Bruce,

The two 4.8 mm ones were in that bag. I summed everything together,
since the ones on page A4 appear to be missing.

73,
Mitch DJ0QN

On 28.05.2012 22:24, Bruce Beford wrote:

> Mitch-
>

> I don't have my kit yet. However, reviewing the manual and your statement
> brings one point to mind.
>

> The Items listed on page A3 should all be in one bag of hardware, labeled
> E850532, front panel (top cover) hardware. Everything you need to assemble
> the front panel should be from that one bag. Page A4 lists hardware from the
> bag for the rear panel (bottom cover) assembly, bag E850533. Have you mixed
> the contents of the two bags together? This would make it harder to sort and
> inventory the parts.
>

> GL,
>
> Bruce, N1RX

> Mitch Wolfson
> DJØQN / K7DX
> Georg-Kerschensteiner-Str. 42, 81829 Muenchen, Germany
> Skype: mitchwo - Home:+49 89 32152700 - Mobile:+49 172 8374436
> Echolink: 3001 - IRLP: 5378

Re: KX3 Standoffs

Bruce Beford-2
OK, Mitch.
>From your descriptions, it sounds as though you may not be measuring the
standoffs properly. This may make it harder to determine what you need to
get replaced.

In your original message, you stated: "I received two 4.8 mm with a long
female top, not short as in the diagram."

If you look on page 8 of the assembly manual, near the bottom- it shows how
to measure the standoffs. The male-female ones are measured over the length
of the "female portion" So... there can be no "4.8mm with a long female
top".

You need two male-female standoffs for the front panel assembly- according
to the pictures on pg 14, both should be 4.8mm long. One is the smaller 2-56
thread, one is the wider 4-40 thread. But the "female portion" of both
should be the same length. However... The parts list on pg A4 shows the 2-56
as being 7.9mm, and the 4-40 as 4.8mm- a discrepancy for sure.

Looking ahead to page 21, the battery retainer is attached to these two
standoffs. It makes sense that they should be the same length (4.8mm).

Hope this helps clear things up a bit.

Good luck,
Bruce, N1RX

The two 4.8 mm ones were in that bag. I summed everything together,
since the ones on page A4 appear to be missing.

73,
Mitch DJ0QN

On 28.05.2012 22:24, Bruce Beford wrote:

> Mitch-
>

> I don't have my kit yet. However, reviewing the manual and your statement
> brings one point to mind.
>

> The Items listed on page A3 should all be in one bag of hardware, labeled
> E850532, front panel (top cover) hardware. Everything you need to assemble
> the front panel should be from that one bag. Page A4 lists hardware from
the
> bag for the rear panel (bottom cover) assembly, bag E850533. Have you
mixed
> the contents of the two bags together? This would make it harder to sort
and

> inventory the parts.
>

> GL,
>
> Bruce, N1RX

> Mitch Wolfson
> DJØQN / K7DX
> Georg-Kerschensteiner-Str. 42, 81829 Muenchen, Germany
> Skype: mitchwo - Home:+49 89 32152700 - Mobile:+49 172 8374436
> Echolink: 3001 - IRLP: 5378

Re: KX3 Standoffs

Bruce Beford-2
Mitch-
one more item.
Do you have the assembly manual errata Rev A-2, dated 21 May 2012? I noticed
the following manual correction:

3. Page 21, Figure 23: On the right hand callout for the 2-56 screw, replace
"(NO WASHER)" with "AND LOCK WASHER". Use the washer you removed after
installing the 2-56 standoff assembly described on
the separate insert sheet with your kit.

Did you receive a " separate insert sheet with your kit"? There may be a
clue there, as this directly relates to the 2-56 male-female standoff that
you say you are missing.

GL,
Bruce, N1RX

Re: KX3 Standoffs

w1az@comcast.net

Hi Mitch,

I put together my kit (S/N 212) over the weekend. The parts were a bit confusing in places, but I wound up having everything I needed.

A couple of notes:

1) You may be confusing thread size with height in the standoff description. The parts in the top figure on pg 14 are 2-56 threads and those in the bottom figure 4-40. The upper,
straight standoff are 5/16" (7.9 mm) long in both cases.

2) I received a 'KX3 Builder's Alert about the 2-56, 5/16"" (7.9mm) standoff indicating that that part was not currently available. As a substitute parts were provided to make a replacement using a threaded shaft and straight standoff. If you didn't get this and didn't get the 2-56 standoff you should contact the parts department at Elecraft.

3) If you did get the same builders alert and parts, you may have all the standoffs you need. The length given is just for the top, large diameter portion of the standoff, not the overall length.

Re: KX3 Standoffs

Mitch Wolfson, DJØQN / K7DX
Hi Bruce,

I will take a look at the KX3 parts again tomorrow, it is bed time over
here

I didn't receive any manual with my kit, as they were not ready in time.
I printed the latest manual and errata sheet first from the web site.
However, there was no "separate insert sheet" on the web site, which may
be the root of my problem.

Thanks & 73,
Mitch DJ0QN

On 28.05.2012 23:16, Bruce Beford wrote:

> Mitch-
> one more item.
> Do you have the assembly manual errata Rev A-2, dated 21 May 2012? I noticed
> the following manual correction:
>
> 3. Page 21, Figure 23: On the right hand callout for the 2-56 screw, replace
> "(NO WASHER)" with "AND LOCK WASHER". Use the washer you removed after
> installing the 2-56 standoff assembly described on
> the separate insert sheet with your kit.
>
> Did you receive a " separate insert sheet with your kit"? There may be a
> clue there, as this directly relates to the 2-56 male-female standoff that
> you say you are missing.
>
> GL,
> Bruce, N1RX
>

> --
> Mitch Wolfson
> DJØQN / K7DX
> Georg-Kerschensteiner-Str. 42, 81829 Muenchen, Germany
> Skype: mitchwo - Home:+49 89 32152700 - Mobile:+49 172 8374436
> Echolink: 3001 - IRLP: 5378

Re: KX3 Standoffs

Mitch Wolfson, DJØQN / K7DX
Thanks, I was assuming the bottom part was the part of be measured, but
I will take a look tomorrow evening my time. If you could please scan
that "builder's alert" and mail it directly to me, it would be great
help. This is apparently where the confusion lies, because I didn't get
the printed manual.

73,
Mitch DJ0QN