KX3 Suggested External Battery

TFJM
I'm sure this question has been asked many times. I recently bought a KX3 so I'm new at QRP and I'm about to head to a camp ground in a few weeks and go portable. Besides using internal batteries, what longer lasting external batteries are recommended? I hear of Lipo batteries and a slew of others. I'm just trying to navigate though the maze of options.

Any and all feedback would be welcome.

73,

Tom / W1PDI

Re: KX3 Suggested External Battery

Elecraft mailing list
It really depends on your mode of operation.  The internal batteries do a great short term op.  5 to 10 AHR batteries go longer,  Same with solar panels will let you do daytime and most of the night.  Of course depending on the operating mode.
I use a 10 AHR Life type with a 27 W folded solar panel and have never ran out of SSB power.  Have fun.

Mel, K6KBE

I'm sure this question has been asked many times. I recently bought a KX3 so
I'm new at QRP and I'm about to head to a camp ground in a few weeks and go
portable. Besides using internal batteries, what longer lasting external
batteries are recommended? I hear of Lipo batteries and a slew of others.
I'm just trying to navigate though the maze of options.

Any and all feedback would be welcome.

73,

Tom / W1PDI

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Suggested External Battery

Bill Frantz
Almost any power supply capable of 9 to 15 volts at 2-4 amps.
Any family of batteries in that range will work. I use AGM lead
acid batteries for field day. I have a lithium family battery
for backpacking.

To calculate how much capacity (amp-hours) you need, measure the
current draw on receive and transmit. Then figure out what your
transmit/receive duty cycle will be and the time you will be
operating to calculate the number of amp-hours you will need.
Then double that because batteries don't like to be drained dead
and you need a margin of safety.

73 Bill AE6JV

On 4/25/16 at 4:57 PM, [hidden email] (TFJM via
Elecraft) wrote:

>I'm sure this question has been asked many times. I recently bought a KX3 so
>I'm new at QRP and I'm about to head to a camp ground in a few weeks and go
>portable. Besides using internal batteries, what longer lasting external
>batteries are recommended? I hear of Lipo batteries and a slew of others.
>I'm just trying to navigate though the maze of options.
>
>Any and all feedback would be welcome.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Suggested External Battery

Don Wilhelm
Tom,

Consider cost vs. need and your intended power level.
If you are backpacking in, then weight is a consideration, so LiPo and
LiFePO4 batteries are to be preferred.  IMHO, LiFePo4 are preferred
because they have terminal voltages similar to NiMH ot NiCad batteries
and the charging requirements are not as severe (and safety oriented) as
LiPo.  LiPo batteries need special chargers to insure safety during
charging.

If you don't mind the weight of lead acid batteries, then the low cost
alternative is a "lawn mower" battery, or if spillage of the electrolyte
might be a problem, look at AGM or SLA batteries. That is old battery
technology, but it works and is the lesser expensive solution.

An almost zero cost solution is to run heavy gauge wires from your
vehicle battery.  Just make sure there is enough energy left to start
your vehicle when you are ready to break camp.

On 4/25/2016 7:57 PM, TFJM via Elecraft wrote:
> I'm sure this question has been asked many times. I recently bought a KX3 so
> I'm new at QRP and I'm about to head to a camp ground in a few weeks and go
> portable. Besides using internal batteries, what longer lasting external
> batteries are recommended? I hear of Lipo batteries and a slew of others.
> I'm just trying to navigate though the maze of options.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Suggested External Battery

Igor Sokolov-2
I use 5500 maH LiFePo4 battery and one 60W foldable solar panel with my KX3
in the field. It gives me 10W around the clock. The battery is under 1 Kg
and can be charged with any charger because BMS and protection is all built
in. The fastest charging time is only 15 minutes with 20A charging current,
I use 2X 20AH LiFePo4 batteries with pair of 60W foldable solar panels if I
operate my K3 at 100W. This is also good for around the clock operation on a
sunny day. These batteries also have BMS built in and do not require
balancing charger.

73, Igor UA9CDC
> I'm sure this question has been asked many times. I recently bought a KX3
> so
> I'm new at QRP and I'm about to head to a camp ground in a few weeks and
> go
> portable. Besides using internal batteries, what longer lasting external
> batteries are recommended? I hear of Lipo batteries and a slew of others.
> I'm just trying to navigate though the maze of options.
>
> Any and all feedback would be welcome.
>
> 73,
>
> Tom / W1PDI

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Suggested External Battery

Jim Brown-10
On Mon,4/25/2016 4:57 PM, TFJM via Elecraft wrote:
> Any and all feedback would be welcome.

If you're going to carry it very far, this is what you want.

https://www.bioennopower.com/collections/12v-series-lifepo4-batteries

They had a booth at the Visalia convention a week or so ago. Seem like
good people. I bought one of their batteries last year.

73, Jim K9YC

On Mon,4/25/2016 10:33 PM, Walter Underwood wrote:
> You could carry 9 Ah of non-rechargeable AA’s for less weight (12 oz.) than 3 Ah of rechargeable LiFePO4.

Yes, BUT -- you can recharge the LiFePO4 batteries 2,000 times. Those
non-rechargeable batteries can be used only once.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Suggested External Battery

I can vouch for the Bioenno Power LiPo batteries.  Bought a 20 ah battery for eComm and urban field work.  It only weighs 6 lbs.  A 10 h only weighs 3 lbs.

https://www.bioennopower.com/collections/12v-series-lifepo4-batteries

Gary

K9JN

Message delivered to [hidden email]

KX3 Suggested External Battery

N5XL
Tom,

I use my KX3 for portable SOTA activation extensively.  I do not worry
with internal batteries and instead, use a LiFePO4 battery exclusively.
When I did my research a couple years ago, I came to the conclusion that
for my style of operating, LiFePO4 technology is superior to regular
Li-PO batteries when factors such as battery safety and KX3 safety
(terminal voltage output) are taken into consideration.  That said,
there are a number of vendors that supply such a battery that would be
suitable for use with the KX3, and you've already received one
recommendation from the list using LiFePO4 technology cells.  Here is my
recommendation.

http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4-26650-battery-12-8v-6-6ah-84wh-20a-rate-in-aluminum-box-with-pcb-7-92.aspx

I decided on this model because the cells and charge controller are
housed in a extruded aluminum enclosure for extra safety and the bare
wire ends allowed me to configure it with powerpole connectors.
Additionally, the black plastic top to the enclosure is removable should
you ever have to go inside and replace the cells or the charge
controller.  I added powerpole connectors as to be able to plug the
battery into something like a rigrunner for a DC power distribution hub
for powering more than just the KX3 when in the field.  I have two years
so far on this pack with no problems to date.

I usually get two to three days of SOTA type operation out of this
battery when in field use.  If I am powering other power hungry devices
(charging my cell phone for example) simultaneously while using the KX3,
I can easily get a full day plus.  Just depends on how you operate and
what you intend to power besides the KX3.

Good luck
73 Dave N5XL

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Suggested External Battery

Helge
As an rc-pilot I've used all kinds of loadable batteries since the late 70's. In comparison with the weight any kind of Lithium technology will be the best choice for outdoor use.
I prefer high capacitive cells in LiPo technology. The dimensions fit very well to the KX3.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__66309__Multistar_High_Capacity_4S_16000mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack_EU_Warehouse_.html

14.8V 16000mAh - weight 2.85 lbs

Modified power reducer is recommended if battery is fully charged.
-> Phil Salas, AD5X: Voltage reducer for Lithium-ion Polymer Four-Cell Batteries.
QST April 2015, S 39-41

Helge

DC3SHL

On Tue,4/26/2016 6:44 AM, N5XL . wrote:
> Here is my recommendation.
>
> http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4-26650-battery-12-8v-6-6ah-84wh-20a-rate-in-aluminum-box-with-pcb-7-92.aspx

My neighbor, W6GJB, bought a 20Ah battery from them a year ago and was
quite pleased both with the battery and the company. Their quality,
range, and cost of their products, as well as their attitude, are quite
comparable to Bioenno Power, the other one cited.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Suggested External Battery

TFJM
Thanks Jim

Do you know if this battery includes Battery Mgmt System?

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 26, 2016, at 1:01 PM, Jim Brown-10 [via Elecraft] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue,4/26/2016 6:44 AM, N5XL . wrote:
> Here is my recommendation.
>
> http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4-26650-battery-12-8v-6-6ah-84wh-20a-rate-in-aluminum-box-with-pcb-7-92.aspx

My neighbor, W6GJB, bought a 20Ah battery from them a year ago and was
quite pleased both with the battery and the company. Their quality,
range, and cost of their products, as well as their attitude, are quite
comparable to Bioenno Power, the other one cited.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KX3-Suggested-External-Battery-tp7616683p7616722.html
To unsubscribe from KX3 Suggested External Battery, click here.
NAML

Re: KX3 Suggested External Battery

thelastdb
No Batteryspace.com batteries are balanced unless you specifically request a custom pack with balancing. But they call it equilibrium.
Myron WVØHPrinted on Recycled Data -------- Original message --------From: TFJM via Elecraft <[hidden email]> Date: 4/26/2016  12:18 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: [hidden email] Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 Suggested External Battery
Thanks Jim

Do you know if this battery includes Battery Mgmt System?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 26, 2016, at 1:01 PM, Jim Brown-10 [via Elecraft] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue,4/26/2016 6:44 AM, N5XL . wrote:
> > Here is my recommendation.
> >
> > http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4-26650-battery-12-8v-6-6ah-84wh-20a-rate-in-aluminum-box-with-pcb-7-92.aspx
>
> My neighbor, W6GJB, bought a 20Ah battery from them a year ago and was
> quite pleased both with the battery and the company. Their quality,
> range, and cost of their products, as well as their attitude, are quite
> comparable to Bioenno Power, the other one cited.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KX3-Suggested-External-Battery-tp7616683p7616722.html
> To unsubscribe from KX3 Suggested External Battery, click here.
> NAML

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Suggested External Battery

Jim Brown-10
Hi Dave,

Most batteries from this company and all from Bioenno Power include the
electronics to balance charge between the cells. For Battery Space,
study the poop sheet for the battery you're looking at to confirm that
it's there. LiFePO4 batteries need specially designed chargers, and both
companies will sell you one if you want it.  Both also sell chargers for
use with solar panels. I strongly recommend the Genasun charge
regulators, which are RF quiet. Buy them direct from Genasun for the
lowest price.

73, Jim K9YC

On Tue,4/26/2016 11:18 AM, TFJM via Elecraft wrote:

> Do you know if this battery includes Battery Mgmt System?
>
> Sent from my iPhone

>> >My neighbor, W6GJB, bought a 20Ah battery from them a year ago and was
>> >quite pleased both with the battery and the company. Their quality,
>> >range, and cost of their products, as well as their attitude, are quite
>> >comparable to Bioenno Power, the other one cited.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Suggested External Battery

Jeff Herr
i see people confusing Lipo with LifePo4

two different chemistries.

would you not agree that one benefit of Lipo 14.6 batteries is their voltage
being above the 13.8 spec?

Consider cost vs. need and your intended power level.
If you are backpacking in, then weight is a consideration, so LiPo and
LiFePO4 batteries are to be preferred.  IMHO, LiFePo4 are preferred because
they have terminal voltages similar to NiMH ot NiCad batteries and the
charging requirements are not as severe (and safety oriented) as LiPo.  LiPo
batteries need special chargers to insure safety during charging.

If you don't mind the weight of lead acid batteries, then the low cost
alternative is a "lawn mower" battery, or if spillage of the electrolyte
might be a problem, look at AGM or SLA batteries. That is old battery
technology, but it works and is the lesser expensive solution.

An almost zero cost solution is to run heavy gauge wires from your vehicle
battery.  Just make sure there is enough energy left to start your vehicle
when you are ready to break camp.

On 4/25/2016 7:57 PM, TFJM via Elecraft wrote:
> I'm sure this question has been asked many times. I recently bought a
> KX3 so I'm new at QRP and I'm about to head to a camp ground in a few
> weeks and go portable. Besides using internal batteries, what longer
> lasting external batteries are recommended? I hear of Lipo batteries and a
slew of others.
> I'm just trying to navigate though the maze of options.

delivered to [hidden email]

On Sun,2/26/2017 3:43 PM, Jeff Herr wrote:
> i see people confusing Lipo with LifePo4
>
> two different chemistries.

Right.

> would you not agree that one benefit of Lipo 14.6 batteries is their voltage being above the 13.8 spec?

Yes, but LiFePO4 are a better choice for most ham applications. They are
a safer battery, and the discharge curve of a nominal 14.2V pack stays
above 13V for most of its capacity, as compared to lead-acid chemistry,
which stays below 12V for most of their capacity.   Here are two good US
vendors. The second one, Battery Space, also sells a broad range of Li
Ion batteries. Both vendors have good people to talk to on the phone and
via email. Bioenno has been exhibiting at hamfests, and their products
are sold by Ham Radio Outlet. I've made them aware of the RFI issues
associated with their chargers, and they are working on finding suitable
replacements.

https://www.bioennopower.com/collections/12v-series-lifepo4-batteries

http://www.batteryspace.com/12-8v-lifepo4-battery-packs-from-3.3ah-to-6ah.aspx

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Suggested External Battery

Kevin - K4VD
​I'm going to second the Bioenno solution. I use the BLF-1215W and it kept
my KX3 running through Field Day last year along with some other shorter
term field events. I often run the KX3 at 3 watts when portable with
intermittent forays into 5+ watts when deemed necessary.

I have not had any issues with RFI from their charger but, and I believe
this is common, what is quiet for some is noisy for others. Maybe the RFI
issues Jim reported has already been addressed? One thing I've been warned
about... LiFePO4 batteries have special charging requirements. Not any ole
charger will do.

73,
Kev K4VD

Message delivered to [hidden email]