KX3 and KPA500

Carlson David
Thanks Adrian for you advice. I did change the ACC2 IO setting to LO=PTT. The KX3 still will not key the KPA500 when I press the mic button. The KX3 goes into transmit but not the KPA500.  I have the center wire from the KPA500 PA Key connected to the tip of the 2.5mm plug going into the KX3. If I reverse the lead on the cable (from the PA Key to the ACC2IO) the KPA500 does go into transmit without me keying the KX3. That is where I was before, I have to put the KPA500 into standby to receive and then put it into operate when I want to transmit. For your information I do use my KPA500 with my K3 and it works perfectly. I did discount the custom cable between the K3 and KPA500 when I connected my KX3 to the KPA500.

Is there any setting on the KPA500 menu that I need to change? Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave WA6DKN

> I can't figure out how to set the ACC2IO on the KX3 so that it will key
the KPA500 properly. I currently have the >ACC2IO in the off position. When
I connect the cable between the ACC2IO and the PA Key on the back of the
KPA500 it puts >the KPA500 in a transmit mode. I have to manually put the
KPA500 in standby to receive and then Operate to transmit. I >have tried a
number of different settings on the KX3 and KPA500 with no success.  What am
I doing wrong?  (incidentally >the KX3 will drive the KPA500 to almost 200
watts output).

ACC2 IO     setting > LO=PTT (input; apply 0 V or ground to

activate PTT)

Re: KX3 and KPA500

w1az@comcast.net
I haven't tried this (don't have an amp) but an errata sheet that came with my kit indicates that the keyline output is on the ring of the acc2 plug, not tip as indicated in the original manual. I don't think the ACC2 IO setting has anything to do with the keyline output, it's used for other control purposes.

Bernie
W1AZ

Thanks Adrian for you advice. I did change the ACC2 IO setting to LO=PTT. The KX3 still will not key the KPA500 when I press the mic button. The KX3 goes into transmit but not the KPA500. I have the center wire from the KPA500 PA Key connected to the tip of the 2.5mm plug going into the KX3. If I reverse the lead on the cable (from the PA Key to the ACC2IO) the KPA500 does go into transmit without me keying the KX3. That is where I was before, I have to put the KPA500 into standby to receive and then put it into operate when I want to transmit. For your information I do use my KPA500 with my K3 and it works perfectly. I did discount the custom cable between the K3 and KPA500 when I connected my KX3 to the KPA500.

Is there any setting on the KPA500 menu that I need to change? Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave WA6DKN

> I can't figure out how to set the ACC2IO on the KX3 so that it will key
the KPA500 properly. I currently have the >ACC2IO in the off position. When
I connect the cable between the ACC2IO and the PA Key on the back of the
KPA500 it puts >the KPA500 in a transmit mode. I have to manually put the
KPA500 in standby to receive and then Operate to transmit. I >have tried a
number of different settings on the KX3 and KPA500 with no success. What am
I doing wrong? (incidentally >the KX3 will drive the KPA500 to almost 200
watts output).

ACC2 IO setting > LO=PTT (input; apply 0 V or ground to

activate PTT)

Re: KX3 and KPA500

wayne burdick
The keying output at the KX3 is on the ring, not the tip, of ACC2.
This is mentioned in the latest manual errata.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Jun 10, 2012, at 10:34 AM, Carlson David wrote:

> Thanks Adrian for you advice. I did change the ACC2 IO setting to
> LO=PTT. The KX3 still will not key the KPA500 when I press the mic
> button. The KX3 goes into transmit but not the KPA500.  I have the
> center wire from the KPA500 PA Key connected to the tip of the 2.5mm
> plug going into the KX3. If I reverse the lead on the cable (from
> the PA Key to the ACC2IO) the KPA500 does go into transmit without
> me keying the KX3. That is where I was before, I have to put the
> KPA500 into standby to receive and then put it into operate when I
> want to transmit. For your information I do use my KPA500 with my K3
> and it works perfectly. I did discount the custom cable between the
> K3 and KPA500 when I connected my KX3 to the KPA500.
>
> Is there any setting on the KPA500 menu that I need to change? Any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave WA6DKN
>

>> I can't figure out how to set the ACC2IO on the KX3 so that it will
>> key
> the KPA500 properly. I currently have the >ACC2IO in the off
> position. When
> I connect the cable between the ACC2IO and the PA Key on the back of
> the
> KPA500 it puts >the KPA500 in a transmit mode. I have to manually
> put the
> KPA500 in standby to receive and then Operate to transmit. I >have
> tried a
> number of different settings on the KX3 and KPA500 with no success.
> What am
> I doing wrong?  (incidentally >the KX3 will drive the KPA500 to
> almost 200
> watts output).
>
> ACC2 IO     setting > LO=PTT (input; apply 0 V or ground to
>
> activate PTT)

Re: KX3 and KPA500

Yes, Bernie has it right - tip and ring are reversed in the manual, and
it is the KEYLINE OUT signal that is needed.  PTT is an input.  Connect
your KPA500 keying line between ring and the shell.