KX3 - buy without KXAT3?

mike
I am getting close to buying a KX3 and want to get my options right.With the KXPA100 coming out soon with an internal tuner, it would seem there is no need to purchase the internal KXAT3 with the KX3. Am I reading this correctly?

..mike  AI6II

Re: KX3 - buy without KXAT3?

KB2NGK
If you never plan on using it without the Amp...then I guess not.

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM, mike <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am getting close to buying a KX3 and want to get my options right.With
> the
> KXPA100 coming out soon with an internal tuner, it would seem there is no
> need to purchase the internal KXAT3 with the KX3. Am I reading this
> correctly?
>
> ..mike  AI6II

Re: KX3 - buy without KXAT3?

Don Butler
Mike, to me, the thing that sets the KX3 apart as a unique transceiver
is the fact that it's a multi featured rig inside a very compact self
contained package. It's perfect for portable qrp operation, which is the
reason I bought it.  For that type of operation it would not be nearly
as versatile without the KXAT3(I use a random wire with counterpoise
when I'm portable).  I would not have bought the KX3 if I had planned to
run it with a 100 watt external amplifier all the time.  I have a K3 for
that.  If there's any chance that you might want to run your KX3 in
portable qrp fashion, I would recommend that you buy the KXAT3 .... It's
a wonderful tuner!

Don, N5LZ

Re: KX3 - buy without KXAT3?

Dom M1KTA
Mike,

I own a KX3 with the internal tuner and another without. The first sees
a lot of use /P and on DX trips and the internal ATU means I do not have
to even think about it. I tend to use resonant antennas but the odd
random wire gets used too. The other I have to be VERY aware that there
is no ATU and that means resonant antennas only and I have used it /P a
couple of times and I use an Elecraft T1 with it. I never bought the
internal one because I had that ATU. It is second nature now to connect
the ATU between the KX3 and antenna so and I have one extra short BNC
patch lead for just this purpose and a nice velcro strip on the KX3.

I plan to use the second KX3 for transverter use mostly where the ATU is
redundant.

To be honest if you never intend using it 'barefoot' or /P and you can
always trust whatever you are driving transverter, PA or antenna then
you can get away without it. I would not even think about operating the
KX3 without some sort of match to 50 ohms though.

Remember that the KX3 has some protection in place anyway if the VSWR is
too high it will fold back.

You might notice on occasion the KX3 WITH the internal ATU can
momentarily on a new band/frequency when tuning it starts at a very high
VSWR and a HI CURR message can appear but it drops fast enough towards
1.0 if it can find a match!

72

Dom
M1KTA

On 20/05/13 04:28, mike wrote:
> I am getting close to buying a KX3 and want to get my options right.With the
> KXPA100 coming out soon with an internal tuner, it would seem there is no
> need to purchase the internal KXAT3 with the KX3. Am I reading this
> correctly?
>
> ..mike  AI6II

Re: KX3 - buy without KXAT3?

N0AZZ
Mike

I thought about that very thing when ordering mine finally decided to order
it along with every other option offered. Why cost was very low for a loaded
one and resale (not a chance) would be better.

What I have found is that the internal tuner is one of the most valuable
options offered for the radio. It has given me a chance to start working QRP
portable like I had never been able to do in the past so easy. In fact my
K3's and K2 along with my other rigs have been seeing idle times here
lately. I have 4 100w exciters and 2 amps an Elecraft and an Alpha, so not
sure yet if I'm going for the 100w tuner/amp for the KX3.
BUT........sometimes if it's an Elecraft item it's like an old dog that
crawls in and lays down beside you and stays. I'm going to see what the
price on the combo tuner/amp will be. Them make a decision.

In fact since Jan/13 I am well on my way to QRP/DXCC Phone with the KX3 and
countries for regulars DXCC are getting much harder to come by now.

If it were anything but an Elecraft tuner I might have passed on it but few
can match it for an internal tuner.

IMHO a must have option in a KX3 for full enjoyment of the Top QRP rig YMMV.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
K3 Ser #'s 6730/5299--KX3 # 2573--K2/100--KAT100
P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

I am getting close to buying a KX3 and want to get my options right.With the
KXPA100 coming out soon with an internal tuner, it would seem there is no
need to purchase the internal KXAT3 with the KX3. Am I reading this
correctly?

..mike  AI6II

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: KX3 - buy without KXAT3?

mike
Thanks for the posted and offline responses. I have never owned or worked QRP before. Maybe the KX3 will entice me to try it, in which case the KXAT3 appears a perfect option for barefoot operation.

73 ..mike  AI6II

Re: KX3 - buy without KXAT3?

KC9TNH
Most timely query from Mike, as I'm also on the cusp of a KX3.
However, I already own a T1 which is an extremely lightweight piece of kit which I think could match a mop-bucket. I'd be interested in any comparison between the solutions between the 2 tuners and thoughts as to any benefit of the AT3 vs. my little T1 that I'm very happy with.

Re: KX3 - buy without KXAT3?

Ignacy
With KXAT3 you have a standalone radio with one button tuning and automatic switching.  Sometimes a balun is needed,  and getting a balun that is small and has low losses on all bands is not easy.

With T1, a very efficient balun could be a jumper made of RG-174 looped a few times around a toroid.

Ignacy, NO9E

Re: KX3 - buy without KXAT3?

N0AZZ
The real advantage comes from having everything in one easy to use unit,
nothing else but the antenna to hookup and carry. I personally

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
K3 Ser #'s 6730/5299--KX3 # 2573--K2/100--KAT100
P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

 would not own without an internal tuner or consider buying a used one
without it.

Re: KX3 - buy without KXAT3?

kg4olw
I have to say I have actually matched a mop bucket with my kx3 with internal tuner! :)  It is bar none the best tuner I have used.

Re: KX3 - buy without KXAT3?

Bill Blomgren (kk4qdz)
This evening I added a gator clip equipped chunk of line to the KX, and had it grab hold of the downspout on the gutter, and about 50 feet of line spread over the ground....

End result: could get a 1.1:1 match on 40 and 20.. 10, 1.5:1... 160 wouldn't tume effectivly.   Then again, it is about 100 feet to 120 feet of gutter, which is a tad off for 160 meters....

The results: tried to get into a SSB conversation, but was apparently drowed out by the guys running 1kw... but who cares.. I'll make a contact one of these days...

KK4QDZ - Now with Extra Class Priv's, and a tiny KX3 to enjoy them!

________________________________
I have to say I have actually matched a mop bucket with my kx3 with internal
tuner! :)  It is bar none the best tuner I have used.

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net/

Re: KX3 - buy without KXAT3?

George Winship, NC5G
kg4olw wrote
I have to say I have actually matched a mop bucket with my kx3 with internal tuner! :)  It is bar none the best tuner I have used.
Haven't tried a mop bucket, but my KX3 matched my 17/15 meter doublet on 6 meters and I made 6 contacts and 5 states this past Sunday during FD in about a half hour at 5 watts. Now, I gotta get a six meter antenna up.

73, NC5G

Re: KX3 - buy without KXAT3?

Edward R Cole
I probably do not need to say this (obvious) but I decided to
purchase my KX3 with the ATU for resale reasons (most folks would
likely want it as the radio is oriented to portable QRP use).

I have used the ATU for fine-tuning my triband yagi on the WARC bands
- nice!  It also tweaks the SWR for driving my 300w amp input which
varies by band.

I did not buy the paddles as I will not be using them and want to
keep the profile simpler.  Also chose not to get the internal battery
charger (not using internal batteries).

But both of those could also be reasoned as good for
resale-ability.  I bought the MH3 mic as I will be installing the 2m
module  and using the radio on 2m "voice modes".  I get good reports
on audio on 20m and 6m.

BTW just a comment the KX3 works very nice on 6m SSB with my Mirage
amplifier (8w drives it to 125w).  The internal preamp hears "very"
fine.  Use it last night on our Tuesday night "Simplex" Net where 6m,
2m, 1.25m, 70cm and 33cm bands are activated (many on both SSB and FM simplex).

Looking forward to getting the 2m module!

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
[hidden email]
"Kits made by KL7UW"