KX3 dimensions?

DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL
Surprised to see Wayne say that the KX3 is "smaller" than the FT817 (I
own the latter).

So I got out my ruler.

Hmmmm.

Looking at the photos of the KX3 and then reading the stated
dimensions:  3.4 x 7.4 x 1.7 - I have to wonder if those are the
dimensions of "the box,"  but no counting any knobs or jacks on the
top/back/side?

If those dimensions are "just the box," what are the "overall"
dimensions, including the knobs, etc. (but not the optional paddle)?

Not that I have my eye on the KX3 or anything....

Thanks!
de Doug KR2Q

K2 5285
K3 295
K3/10 822

Re: KX3 dimensions?

wayne burdick
Administrator
Hi Doug,

Size ignoring knobs and connectors (i.e., just the chassis):

    KX3: 3.45 x 7.45 x 1.7  = 43.7 in^3
    FT-817: 7.1 x 5.3 x 1.5 = 56.4 in^3

The FT-817 is 29% larger by volume using this metric.

If we include knobs and connectors, the KX3 is a bit larger:

    KX3:    3.45 x 7.85 x 2.45 = 66 in^3
    FT-817: 7.7 x 5.3 x 1.5 = 61 in^3

I guess it depends on what you're packing the radio in. If you're
talking about a hard-shell case, you'd need one a little smaller for
the FT-817. If you're stuffing it into a soft pack or rolling it up in
your backpack with clothes, the KX3 wins :)

Weight (less batteries or options):

    KX3:   1.49 lbs
    FT817: 2.06 lbs

The FT817 is 38% heavier. This, of course, is what matters most if
you're hiking.

Note that the KX3's attached paddle (KXPD3) weighs about 1 oz. I
usually carry 1 oz. of #26 antenna wire and a 1-oz. fishing weight to
get the wire into a tree. Add another 8 oz for batteries and 5 for the
mic, and you're at about 2.5 lbs for the entire station.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Oct 20, 2011, at 2:20 PM, DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL wrote:

> Surprised to see Wayne say that the KX3 is "smaller" than the FT817 (I
> own the latter).
>
> So I got out my ruler.
>
> Hmmmm.
>
> Looking at the photos of the KX3 and then reading the stated
> dimensions:  3.4 x 7.4 x 1.7 - I have to wonder if those are the
> dimensions of "the box,"  but no counting any knobs or jacks on the
> top/back/side?
>
> If those dimensions are "just the box," what are the "overall"
> dimensions, including the knobs, etc. (but not the optional paddle)?
>
> Not that I have my eye on the KX3 or anything....
>
> Thanks!
> de Doug KR2Q
>
> K2 5285
> K3 295
> K3/10 822

Re: KX3 dimensions?

k6dgw
On 10/20/2011 2:49 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Note that the KX3's attached paddle (KXPD3) weighs about 1 oz. I
> usually carry 1 oz. of #26 antenna wire and a 1-oz. fishing weight to
> get the wire into a tree. Add another 8 oz for batteries and 5 for the
> mic, and you're at about 2.5 lbs for the entire station.

1.  Any chance the KSPD3 will appear as an item by itself?  It is soooo
really cool, and about all I got to play with at Pacificon, given the
number of people gawking at the KX3.

2.  Exactly how do you find time for very lightweight backpacking?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: KX3 dimensions?

Buddy Brannan
Getting more excited by this radio by the minute.

Seems to me, even with the relatively heavy G4TPH portable loop and whatever stand I manage to cobble together for that (thinking lots of PVC in one foot or 15 inch sections, tall enough to get the loop off the ground by a foot or a foot and a half, this is going to be one very lightweight station and lots of fun (and easy) to carry around. Sorry, afraid I'll have to go a little heavier on the antennas than Wayne does, my aim isn't very good. Even so, taking a complete station in well under five pounds, if not for hiking, certainly for hotel stays and other vacationing, is really, really attractive.

By "relatively heavy", I mean as compared to Wayne's one ounce of 26 gauge wire. I expect the loop, consisting of 10 flat pieces of aluminum bolted together with a tuning capacitor, can't weigh more than the KX3. But that is quite a bit heavier than one ounce :)
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY

On Oct 20, 2011, at 7:31 PM, Fred Jensen wrote:

> On 10/20/2011 2:49 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>
>> Note that the KX3's attached paddle (KXPD3) weighs about 1 oz. I
>> usually carry 1 oz. of #26 antenna wire and a 1-oz. fishing weight to
>> get the wire into a tree. Add another 8 oz for batteries and 5 for the
>> mic, and you're at about 2.5 lbs for the entire station.
>
> 1.  Any chance the KSPD3 will appear as an item by itself?  It is soooo
> really cool, and about all I got to play with at Pacificon, given the
> number of people gawking at the KX3.
>
> 2.  Exactly how do you find time for very lightweight backpacking?
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
> - www.cqp.org

Re: KX3 dimensions?

Matthew Pitts
I think it's called "field testing". :D

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

Re: KX3 dimensions?

Dave KK7SS
Wayne wrote:
> I usually carry 1 oz. of #26 antenna wire and a 1-oz.
> fishing weight to get the wire into a tree

This part of WA state is famous for having the highest tree-less mountains/trees in the USA  :(
It was part of the sea-bed of the prehistoric lake that covered NW USA.
If there's a tree on it... someone planted it :) And there's not many of those open to the public. !

So... BYO poles !
I have an ATX Walkabout and a very old MP1.

--
Dave G  KK7SS
 Richland, WA

PS We also have lots of tumbleweed covered desert!

Re: KX3 dimensions?

Rick Dettinger-3
On this side of the State we have the opposite problem.  Too many
trees.  Its often hard to get a line over one tree without getting a
hang up in another.  This is true in the mountains as well as my back
yard!

73,
Rick Dettinger   K7MW
Mount Vernon,  Wa.

On Oct 21, 2011, at 8:09 AM, Dave KK7SS wrote:

> Wayne wrote:
>> I usually carry 1 oz. of #26 antenna wire and a 1-oz.
>> fishing weight to get the wire into a tree
>
> This part of WA state is famous for having the highest tree-less
> mountains/trees in the USA  :(
> It was part of the sea-bed of the prehistoric lake that covered NW
> USA.
> If there's a tree on it... someone planted it :) And there's not
> many of those open to the public. !
>
> So... BYO poles !
> I have an ATX Walkabout and a very old MP1.
>
> --
> Dave G  KK7SS
> Richland, WA
>
> PS We also have lots of tumbleweed covered desert!

Re: KX3 dimensions?

w7aqk
Hi All,

Shortly after the KX3 was announced and described, I started contemplating
just what radios I own that it could replace.  Several radios I own were
obvious candidates for replacement, but the FT-817 wasn't immediately that
obvious.  That was due to the exceptionally small size of the FT-817, plus
it's equally exceptional "all band" capabilities.  However, I did a rough
calculation of volume for each radio, and I came up with approximately the
same results that Wayne has posted (his calculations are surely more precise
than mine).  The KX3 is, indeed, smaller!  It's perhaps a bit counter
intuitive when you just look at the two, since the KX3 is wider and higher.
The weight differential, which favors the KX3, is substantial.  Performance
wise, I'm sure the KX3 will blow the FT-817 away.

Different people will have different priorities, so there's no "right
answer".  For me, the FT-817 will probably lose 95% of it's appeal once I
get my hands on a KX3.  The concession will be access to VHF/UHF, but I find
my HT to be more than adequate as a supplement, and what I use mostly
anyway.  Besides, I've always felt the FT-817 was almost too small--the
display is hard to read, and the controls are difficult to access.  I've
never liked the menu system on most Yaesu's anyway.  Still, my FT-817 has
been a very frequent companion for me.  It's been a relatively flawless
performer for a good while, and well worth every nickel I spent on it.  It's
no surprise to me that this has been one of the most successful pieces of
ham gear ever produced.  Nevertheless, the KX3 looks to me like the perfect
radio for QRP Field Day and similar activities.

I will be most interested to see how the HF Packer folks respond to the KX3.
I'm not one myself, but they are a very innovative group when it comes to
implementing small radios.  Since radios like the FT-817 and IC-703 are
relative power hogs compared to the KX3, I suspect that will be another very
significant factor.  It's always a lot of fun watching these folks "do their
thing", as was the case most recently at Pacificon.  Bonnie, KQ6XA, was
putting out a very potent signal with her setup at Pacificon, and knocking
off contacts one right after another.  She was getting better signal reports
than I was using my 100 watt mobile setup!  Anyway, I can already visualize
how HF Packers will fabricate a way of mounting a KX3 in front of them and
having substantially enhanced operating ergonomics in the process.

As Terry, WA0ITP says, "I love this stuff!"  Even as a spectator!

Dave W7AQK

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Re: KX3 dimensions?

wayne burdick
Administrator
Hi Dave,

I did a presentation at the Pacificon HFpack forum titled "HFpack Lite
and the Elecraft KX3," in which I proposed a 5-pound (total) variation
on HFpack. It is based on the KX3, a very lightweight antenna,
external Li battery, and a hypothetical mic-on-steroids that could
control the radio while it is in the backpack -- including turning it
on/off. The talk was very well received, with lots of input on
possible antennas, etc., from the audience. Bonnie was there, and
later stopped by our booth, which I interpreted as a celebrity
endorsement.

I'd be happy to send you my powerpoint presentation, although it is
long on illustrations and short on explanations. You'll have to use a
bit of imagination.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

> I will be most interested to see how the HF Packer folks respond to
> the KX3.
> I'm not one myself, but they are a very innovative group when it
> comes to
> implementing small radios.  Since radios like the FT-817 and IC-703
> are
> relative power hogs compared to the KX3, I suspect that will be
> another very
> significant factor.  It's always a lot of fun watching these folks
> "do their
> thing", as was the case most recently at Pacificon.  Bonnie, KQ6XA,
> was
> putting out a very potent signal with her setup at Pacificon, and
> knocking
> off contacts one right after another.  She was getting better signal
> reports
> than I was using my 100 watt mobile setup!  Anyway, I can already
> visualize
> how HF Packers will fabricate a way of mounting a KX3 in front of
> them and
> having substantially enhanced operating ergonomics in the process.
>
> As Terry, WA0ITP says, "I love this stuff!"  Even as a spectator!
>
> Dave W7AQK

Re: KX3 dimensions?

Buddy Brannan
By "very lightweight antenna", do you mean the aforementioned 1oz of 26 gauge wire with the also aforementioned 1oz fishing weight?

I'm really going to have to do something king on pedestrian mobile, or pedestrian portable. The loop I got (mentioned earlier) looks like it'll be great for portable, easy to set up if you're not going to move around a lot, but not so easy to walk with fully deployed. Well, probably not, anyway. I'll have to give it some thought, anyway. However. Remote control head with mic has some interesting possibilities, hasn't it? I suppose if the mic and serial jacks are mounted close enough together, or even mic, speaker, and serial jacks. I hadn't even thought of this. Wow….
--

On Oct 21, 2011, at 12:19 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I did a presentation at the Pacificon HFpack forum titled "HFpack Lite
> and the Elecraft KX3," in which I proposed a 5-pound (total) variation
> on HFpack. It is based on the KX3, a very lightweight antenna,
> external Li battery, and a hypothetical mic-on-steroids that could
> control the radio while it is in the backpack -- including turning it
> on/off. The talk was very well received, with lots of input on
> possible antennas, etc., from the audience. Bonnie was there, and
> later stopped by our booth, which I interpreted as a celebrity
> endorsement.
>
> I'd be happy to send you my powerpoint presentation, although it is
> long on illustrations and short on explanations. You'll have to use a
> bit of imagination.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

>> I will be most interested to see how the HF Packer folks respond to
>> the KX3.
>> I'm not one myself, but they are a very innovative group when it
>> comes to
>> implementing small radios.  Since radios like the FT-817 and IC-703
>> are
>> relative power hogs compared to the KX3, I suspect that will be
>> another very
>> significant factor.  It's always a lot of fun watching these folks
>> "do their
>> thing", as was the case most recently at Pacificon.  Bonnie, KQ6XA,
>> was
>> putting out a very potent signal with her setup at Pacificon, and
>> knocking
>> off contacts one right after another.  She was getting better signal
>> reports
>> than I was using my 100 watt mobile setup!  Anyway, I can already
>> visualize
>> how HF Packers will fabricate a way of mounting a KX3 in front of
>> them and
>> having substantially enhanced operating ergonomics in the process.
>>
>> As Terry, WA0ITP says, "I love this stuff!"  Even as a spectator!
>>
>> Dave W7AQK

Re: KX3 dimensions?

wayne burdick
Administrator
Buddy Brannan wrote:

> By "very lightweight antenna", do you mean the aforementioned 1oz of
> 26 gauge wire with the also aforementioned 1oz fishing weight?

No. I'm searching for the ultimate lightweight whip material. I'd like
a 7' untuned whip that is self-supporting and straight in normal use,
bends without being damaged if it hits a tree branch, weighs only a
few ounces, and is nearly invisible.

Wayne
N6KR

Re: KX3 dimensions?

Buddy Brannan

On Oct 21, 2011, at 1:32 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> No. I'm searching for the ultimate lightweight whip material. I'd like a 7' untuned whip that is self-supporting and straight in normal use, bends without being damaged if it hits a tree branch, weighs only a few ounces, and is nearly invisible.

Huh. That could be interesting. Definitely sounds like fun times. :)
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY

> Buddy Brannan wrote:
>
>> By "very lightweight antenna", do you mean the aforementioned 1oz of 26 gauge wire with the also aforementioned 1oz fishing weight?
>
> No. I'm searching for the ultimate lightweight whip material. I'd like a 7' untuned whip that is self-supporting and straight in normal use, bends without being damaged if it hits a tree branch, weighs only a few ounces, and is nearly invisible.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: KX3 dimensions?

Peter Wollan-2
The penultimate whip:  the two or three thinnest sections of a 16'
crappie pole ($10 from Cabella's).  It fails the invisibility
criterion, but otherwise seems to fit.

What do you do with it then?  drag a wire behind as a counterpoise?

    Peter W0LLN

Peter Wollan wrote:

> The penultimate whip:  the two or three thinnest sections of a 16'
> crappie pole ($10 from Cabella's).  It fails the invisibility
> criterion, but otherwise seems to fit.
>
> What do you do with it then?  drag a wire behind as a counterpoise?

Yes. This is SOP for HFpack. RG174 makes a good counterpoise, although
I've had good luck with that same #26 wire, too.

I've had no trouble making 2000-mile-plus CW contacts on 20 m running
2 W into a 4' Mizuho loaded whip, dragging a 13' counterpoise.

Wayne
N6KR

KX3

W7GJ, Lance
Hi Wayne,

I already put in a vote for this with Eric, but wanted to ask if there would/could be
some way to:

1. Add an external preamp for 6m, as is done with the K3.  If I am to use this as a
portable radio for 6m EME DXpeditions, it will be imperative to be able to add a
preamp in the receive line.

2. Control the PTT line on the KX3 from the computer's Serial Port RTS or CTS lines.
  JT65A switches the radio into transmit by first raising RTS and CTS lines on the
computer's serial port.  After about half a second the JT65A tones begin, leaving
enough time to switch the antenna relays and turn on the amplifier without hot
switching anything.  This works great in the K3, and I hope there will be the same
logic in the KX3.

Please let me know if you are making, or have already made provisions for these, or
if I am better off to look elsewhere for a more portable rig than the K3.

MNI TNX and VY 73, Lance
(K3 # 1540)
--
Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Re: KX3

wayne burdick
Administrator

Hi Lance,

> ...wanted to ask if there would/could be some way to:
>
> 1. Add an external preamp for 6m, as is done with the K3.  If I am
> to use this as a portable radio for 6m EME DXpeditions, it will be
> imperative to be able to add a preamp in the receive line.

We can't tap into the KX3's internal RX path directly. However, a
preamp could be inserted externally in conjunction with a T/R switch.
We have enough general-purpose outputs on the KX3 to control such a
unit. Also, we're looking into the possibility of integrating a 6-
meter LNA into the BPF array to obtain a very low 6-m NF.

> 2. Control the PTT line on the KX3 from the computer's Serial Port
> RTS or CTS lines.  JT65A switches the radio into transmit by first
> raising RTS and CTS lines on the computer's serial port.  After
> about half a second the JT65A tones begin, leaving enough time to
> switch the antenna relays and turn on the amplifier without hot
> switching anything.  This works great in the K3, and I hope there
> will be the same logic in the KX3.

You'd have to split the RTS or CTS line out from the computer's RS232
connector and route it to the mic jack's PTT line. If there were
enough demand for such a cable, we might offer one as an option.

73,
Wayne
N6KR