KX3 internal battery supply

Joseph Trombino, Jr
Howdy Gang:

The Elecraft website info on the KX3 indicates the rig will have an internal battery option consisting of 8 AA size NiMH batteries.

If memory serves me correctly, believe that NiMH batteries have a voltage of 1.2vdc per unit....that would make the internal supply about 9.6vdc.

Can I assume that the KX3 will easily put out 5W of RF at 9.6vdc and the internal antenna tuner will function properly at 9.6vdc???

Eagerly awaiting the release of the KX3 (what a great Christmas present!!!)

                                73, Joe W2KJ
                                I QRP, therefore I am

Re: KX3 internal battery supply

Don Wilhelm-4
  Joe,

Obviously I have not had a chance to measure it yet, but from what I
heard from Wayne, Richard (and others who had a hand in designing it) at
Dayton, the answer is YES.  I don't know how much lower in voltage it
will go, but even the K2 works OK at less than 9 volts due to the use of
low dropout voltage regulators.

On 6/24/2011 2:55 PM, Joseph Trombino, Jr wrote:

> Howdy Gang:
>
> The Elecraft website info on the KX3 indicates the rig will have an internal battery option consisting of 8 AA size NiMH batteries.
>
> If memory serves me correctly, believe that NiMH batteries have a voltage of 1.2vdc per unit....that would make the internal supply about 9.6vdc.
>
> Can I assume that the KX3 will easily put out 5W of RF at 9.6vdc and the internal antenna tuner will function properly at 9.6vdc???
>
> Eagerly awaiting the release of the KX3 (what a great Christmas present!!!)

Re: KX3 internal battery supply

wayne burdick
Joseph Trombino, Jr wrote:

> The Elecraft website info on the KX3 indicates the rig will have an
> internal battery option consisting of 8 AA size NiMH batteries. If
> memory serves me correctly, believe that NiMH batteries have a
> voltage of 1.2vdc per unit....that would make the internal supply
> about 9.6vdc.
>
> Can I assume that the KX3 will easily put out 5W of RF at 9.6vdc and
> the internal antenna tuner will function properly at 9.6vdc???

Our target is 5 W at 9.6 V (NiMH pack). Nonrechargeable lithium AAs or
fresh alkalines provide more than this, and of course you'll get 10 W
or greater with an external supply. Currently we hit 15 W on some
bands with a 14-V supply, though we'll probably reign this in to 12 W :)

The radio will continue to function down to 8 V--useful in an
emergency--but with greatly reduced power output.

Wayne
N6KR