KX3 netbook

Forums
 A while back Wayne suggested using a netbook with the KX3 to log and run SDR software.  Someone else –I don’t remember who - warned that most net books don’t have stereo mic inputs.  I looked for a light cheap laptop with stereo inputs.  I checked a couple of dozen from Asus, hp, Lenovo, and Toshiba.  No netbook that I can find has stereo inputs.  All, of course have stereo outputs.

In fact, I can’t find any current production laptop that has stereo inputs except the Apple MacBook series and it doesn’t run windows natively, though there are a couple of hypervisor solutions.  There are hundreds of models and I didn’t check every one but did check 25 or 30. I did call Dell and hp and ask them. There may be some and if there are I would love to know a brand and model.

My next thought was so called USB sound cards.  On the high end (price of a netbook and size of a KX3) there are lots of choices.  There seem to be a number of Altoids tin sized USB “sound cards” some have stereo mic and / or line inputs and some don’t.  Almost all the external devices emphasize the output functions and are skimpy on the input specs.

I guess this is a long winded way of asking if during development and field test some thought could be given to a light weight package in the spirt of the KX3 itself that is tested and known to work.  I would see this as KX3, netbook, and "a small USB sound card."  Alternatively, if there is a reasonably priced light laptop with the requisite capabilities that would be fine too.

73 John N6MNX

John Fogarty
[hidden email]

Us Mobile 001 310 994 4625

Re: KX3 netbook

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Outside of netbooks, the iPad supports real time sdr operation with the
"iSDR' app.

73, Eric  WA6HHQ
www.elecraft.com

On 6/1/2011 2:07 PM, Forums wrote:

>   A while back Wayne suggested using a netbook with the KX3 to log and run SDR software.  Someone else –I don’t remember who - warned that most net books don’t have stereo mic inputs.  I looked for a light cheap laptop with stereo inputs.  I checked a couple of dozen from Asus, hp, Lenovo, and Toshiba.  No netbook that I can find has stereo inputs.  All, of course have stereo outputs.
>
> In fact, I can’t find any current production laptop that has stereo inputs except the Apple MacBook series and it doesn’t run windows natively, though there are a couple of hypervisor solutions.  There are hundreds of models and I didn’t check every one but did check 25 or 30. I did call Dell and hp and ask them. There may be some and if there are I would love to know a brand and model.
>
> My next thought was so called USB sound cards.  On the high end (price of a netbook and size of a KX3) there are lots of choices.  There seem to be a number of Altoids tin sized USB “sound cards” some have stereo mic and / or line inputs and some don’t.  Almost all the external devices emphasize the output functions and are skimpy on the input specs.
>
> I guess this is a long winded way of asking if during development and field test some thought could be given to a light weight package in the spirt of the KX3 itself that is tested and known to work.  I would see this as KX3, netbook, and "a small USB sound card."  Alternatively, if there is a reasonably priced light laptop with the requisite capabilities that would be fine too.
>
> 73 John N6MNX
>
> John Fogarty
> [hidden email]
>
> Us Mobile 001 310 994 4625

Re: KX3 netbook

Ross Primrose N4RP
The Griffin iMic has a switchable stereo line input/mono mic input.
Works great for me, and quite erasonably priced & sized...

73, Ross N4RP

--
FCC Section 97.313(a) “At all times, an amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.”

Re: KX3 netbook

Bruce Beford-2
While not a netbook, my full-sized (17.3") HP dv7-4171us does have a stereo
input jack. This is one of HPs higher end laptops. The input jack just has a
mic symbol on it, but it is in fact, a stereo input. I have confirmed this
by plugging in a stereo cable, and listening through headphones. I can hear
60Hz hum pickup in one then the other channel as I touch the tip and then
the ring connection on the cable end. This is a simple test you can do with
any laptop. Hooking up my iPod to the input, with a suitable stereo source
(Pink Floyd Animals) works, too.

As Wayne said also, iSDR for the iPhone, iPod and iPad is another option,
when coupled with the appropriate audio input device. This is OK for
panadapter apps, but I don't know if I would want to multitask and try to
log on any of those devices as well.

Bruce, N1RX

Re: KX3 netbook

VE3GAM Allen McRorie
not John  Fogarty of CCR??
or just a similar name!!

al ve3gam

Re: KX3 netbook

Bruce Beford-2
No, that would be Fogerty...

> not John  Fogarty of CCR??
> or just a similar name!!

> al ve3gam

Re: KX3 netbook

VE3GAM Allen McRorie
ah phooey,
loved that group's songs,
have an old 3 record set of theirs

Al ve3gam

Re: KX3 netbook

Grant Youngman

On Jun 1, 2011, at 4:07 PM, Forums wrote:

> ... any current production laptop that has stereo inputs except the Apple MacBook series and it doesn’t run windows natively,

Actually Macs do run Windoze natively-- with Bootcamp.  And quite well.

Grant/NQ5T

Re: KX3 netbook

n7ws
Don't forget you need a netbook with a serial port too.

--- On Wed, 6/1/11, Forums <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  A while back Wayne suggested using a
> netbook with the KX3 to log and run SDR software.
> Someone else –I don’t remember who - warned that most
> net books don’t have stereo mic inputs.  I looked for
> a light cheap laptop with stereo inputs.  I checked a
> couple of dozen from Asus, hp, Lenovo, and Toshiba.  No
> netbook that I can find has stereo inputs.  All, of
> course have stereo outputs.
>
> In fact, I can’t find any current production laptop that
> has stereo inputs except the Apple MacBook series and it
> doesn’t run windows natively, though there are a couple of
> hypervisor solutions.  There are hundreds of models and
> I didn’t check every one but did check 25 or 30. I did
> call Dell and hp and ask them. There may be some and if
> there are I would love to know a brand and model.
>
> My next thought was so called USB sound cards.  On the
> high end (price of a netbook and size of a KX3) there are
> lots of choices.  There seem to be a number of Altoids
> tin sized USB “sound cards” some have stereo mic and /
> or line inputs and some don’t.  Almost all the
> external devices emphasize the output functions and are
> skimpy on the input specs.
>
> I guess this is a long winded way of asking if during
> development and field test some thought could be given to a
> light weight package in the spirt of the KX3 itself that is
> tested and known to work.  I would see this as KX3,
> netbook, and "a small USB sound card."  Alternatively,
> if there is a reasonably priced light laptop with the
> requisite capabilities that would be fine too.
>
> 73 John N6MNX
>
> John Fogarty
> [hidden email]

Re: KX3 netbook

Bruce Beford-2
USB-serial adapters work fine for this. -Bruce, N1RX

> Don't forget you need a netbook with a serial port too.

Re: KX3 netbook

Peter Wollan-2
This makes the KX3 almost irresistible -- and it was pretty darn
attractive already.  Reviews of iSDR don't mention things like
bandwidth, unfortunately.  Any idea how iSDR on an iPad actually
performs as a panadapter?

It may not be necessary to buy a commercial gadget like the iMic to
get stereo sound input to the iPad.  A bit of googling found a claim
that stereo line-in to an iPad can be done with pins 2, 5, and 6 of
the dock connector to a 1/8" stereo plug.  I'd try to confirm that
before making a cable and plugging things together, though.

     Peter W0LLN

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Outside of netbooks, the iPad supports real time sdr operation with the
> "iSDR' app.

Re: KX3 netbook

Peter Wollan-2
Faberacoustical.com reports that this simple line-in only works with
iPhone, not with iPad.  Apparently the Griffin iMic does work, though,
through the camera connection socket.

So, imperfect, but the KX3 - iPad combination is still very
attractive.  I have the iPad, just need to wait for the KX3.

     Peter W0LLN

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Peter Wollan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This makes the KX3 almost irresistible -- and it was pretty darn
> attractive already.  Reviews of iSDR don't mention things like
> bandwidth, unfortunately.  Any idea how iSDR on an iPad actually
> performs as a panadapter?
>
> It may not be necessary to buy a commercial gadget like the iMic to
> get stereo sound input to the iPad.  A bit of googling found a claim
> that stereo line-in to an iPad can be done with pins 2, 5, and 6 of
> the dock connector to a 1/8" stereo plug.  I'd try to confirm that
> before making a cable and plugging things together, though.
>
>     Peter W0LLN
>

> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Outside of netbooks, the iPad supports real time sdr operation with the
>> "iSDR' app.

Re: KX3 netbook

Forums
I am too but  my MacBookPro is 6.6 lbs without the power supply.  I hope for an under 5 pound package radio, computer and antenna. Radio = 1.5 Computer=2.75 Antenna= .75.  Probably a bit of a stretch but I can hope.

On Jun 1, 2011, at 2:54 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> I'm a Mac guy, so I just assumed everybody had dual mic inputs. I'll take a look around for netbooks that do. The USB soundcard adapters are a definite possibility.
>
> Wayne

Re: KX3 netbook

Rick Tavan N6XI
How does the iMic work with iPad? The description shows it as USB to audio connectors. No Apple docking connector.

Rick N6XI

On Jun 1, 2011, at 6:23 PM, Peter Wollan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Faberacoustical.com reports that this simple line-in only works with
> iPhone, not with iPad.  Apparently the Griffin iMic does work, though,
> through the camera connection socket.
>
> So, imperfect, but the KX3 - iPad combination is still very
> attractive.  I have the iPad, just need to wait for the KX3.
>
>     Peter W0LLN
>

> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Peter Wollan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This makes the KX3 almost irresistible -- and it was pretty darn
>> attractive already.  Reviews of iSDR don't mention things like
>> bandwidth, unfortunately.  Any idea how iSDR on an iPad actually
>> performs as a panadapter?
>>
>> It may not be necessary to buy a commercial gadget like the iMic to
>> get stereo sound input to the iPad.  A bit of googling found a claim
>> that stereo line-in to an iPad can be done with pins 2, 5, and 6 of
>> the dock connector to a 1/8" stereo plug.  I'd try to confirm that
>> before making a cable and plugging things together, though.
>>
>>     Peter W0LLN
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Outside of netbooks, the iPad supports real time sdr operation with the
>>> "iSDR' app.

Re: KX3 netbook

Greg - AB7R
The iSDR website says with mono input you will get 22kHz BW and 44kHz with
stereo input.

Greg
AB7R

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Rick Tavan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How does the iMic work with iPad? The description shows it as USB to audio
> connectors. No Apple docking connector.
>
> Rick N6XI
>
> On Jun 1, 2011, at 6:23 PM, Peter Wollan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Faberacoustical.com reports that this simple line-in only works with
> > iPhone, not with iPad.  Apparently the Griffin iMic does work, though,
> > through the camera connection socket.
> >
> > So, imperfect, but the KX3 - iPad combination is still very
> > attractive.  I have the iPad, just need to wait for the KX3.
> >
> >     Peter W0LLN
> >

> > On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Peter Wollan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> This makes the KX3 almost irresistible -- and it was pretty darn
> >> attractive already.  Reviews of iSDR don't mention things like
> >> bandwidth, unfortunately.  Any idea how iSDR on an iPad actually
> >> performs as a panadapter?
> >>
> >> It may not be necessary to buy a commercial gadget like the iMic to
> >> get stereo sound input to the iPad.  A bit of googling found a claim
> >> that stereo line-in to an iPad can be done with pins 2, 5, and 6 of
> >> the dock connector to a 1/8" stereo plug.  I'd try to confirm that
> >> before making a cable and plugging things together, though.
> >>
> >>     Peter W0LLN

> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KX3 netbook

Rick Prather-2
Rick,

If you get the "camera connector" it has USB connection and the iMic works fine with it.

Rick
K6LE

On 6/1/2011, at 7:56 , Rick Tavan wrote:

> How does the iMic work with iPad? The description shows it as USB to audio connectors. No Apple docking connector.
>
> Rick N6XI

Re: KX3 netbook

Jens Petersen-2
On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 14:07:06 -0700, you wrote:

> A while back Wayne suggested using a netbook with the KX3 to log and run SDR software.  Someone else –I don’t remember who - warned that most net books don’t have stereo mic inputs.  I looked for a light cheap laptop with stereo inputs.  I checked a couple of dozen from Asus, hp, Lenovo, and Toshiba.  No netbook that I can find has stereo inputs.  All, of course have stereo outputs.

My new Lenovo S10-3 netbook does have stereo input 16bit 48000Hz.
--
OV1A Jens

 Sent from my desktop PC with a nice big screen and a real keyboard.

Re: KX3 netbook

N8LP
  And lots of images with mono input ;-)

Larry N8LP

On 6/2/2011 11:27 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 20:06:50 -0700
> From: Greg<[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 netbook
> To: Rick Tavan<[hidden email]>
> Cc:"[hidden email]"  <[hidden email]>
>
> The iSDR website says with mono input you will get 22kHz BW and 44kHz with
> stereo input.
>
> Greg
> AB7R

Re: KX3 netbook

k.igor

There are many  USB sound cards/adaptors on the market with stereo input. For example, Griffin Technology iMic USB Audio D evice, about $23 on Amazon. stay away from el-chea po dongles, these are mostly mono.

Igor, N1YX

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 14:07:06 -0700, you wrote:

> A while back Wayne suggested using a netbook with the KX3 to log and run SDR software.  Someone else –I don’t remember who - warned that most net books don’t have stereo mic inputs.  I looked for a light cheap laptop with stereo inputs.  I checked a couple of dozen from Asus, hp, Lenovo, and Toshiba.  No netbook that I can find has stereo inputs.  All, of course have stereo outputs.

My new Lenovo S10-3 netbook does have stereo input 16bit 48000Hz.
--
OV1A Jens

 Sent from my desktop PC with a nice big screen and a real keyboard.

Re: KX3 netbook

Byron Servies
Ok, Eric, you asked for it.  Ready?  Here we go:

How about adding Bluetooth stereo audio, microphone, keyboard, and
serial profiles to the KX3? Jim K9YC's valid concerns aside, this
would integrate with most modern vehicles hands-free kits and small
wireless keyboards.

Oh, and a tri-corder.  Er, iPad.  :-D

--
73, Byron N6NUL