KX3 on the trail

Steve KC8QVO
I figured I would share a couple pictures from my backpacking trip over the weekend.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/KC8QVO/Backpacking%20Stuff/IMG_0537.jpg

The first one is the KX3 running while I'm cooking dinner. I had it on 40 meters with my jumper dipole. Linguini and Clam Sauce for dinner - onions and garlic simmered in olive oil, clams are about to go in. The pot on the right with the aluminum foil has our bowtie noodles ready to go. The trick is take the noodles off the burner about half way done (still crunchy). Then by the time the goodies are cooked in the pan the noodles finish up cooking in the hot water. Strain, add the good stuff, put it on your plate, and dump fresh ground parmisian cheese on it. One word of caution - never cook this in a crowded camp site. You'll have everyone invading camp wondering what the heck is for dinner! HI.

Here is my 6 watt solar panel on my pack. Putting it under the straps hold it in place. The top was secured to the hook hanger loop on the top/inside of the pack (what you use to hang the pack on a hook) with a piece of string. This was earlier in the day Saturday.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/KC8QVO/Backpacking%20Stuff/IMG_0520.jpg

This trip didn't allow a whole lot of radio time, no contacts this trip. I called CQ on 40m CW for a while before I went to sleep, but I was exhausted and the next morning went too fast. We broke camp, ate breakfast, and hit the trail so the guy with me could get to work on time. The important thing is we made the trip, the rig made it along, and I had everything working just fine! It was a good test run. Now for lighter batteries... HI

Steve, KC8QVO

Re: KX3 on eBay

Phillip Lontz
$1500 USD
I guess if you want/need to jump to head of the line...

Re: KX3 on the trail

Tony Estep
On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Steve KC8QVO <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...I called CQ on 40m CW for a while before I went to sleep, but I was
> exhausted....

=====
Or maybe a food coma?

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: KX3 on the trail

Mike Heitmann
Sounds like a great time Steve.

FYI: I've carried QRP radios on lots of backpacking trips, including 5 trips to the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, and I never have time to get on the radio as much as I wold like to either because I was too tired or there were too many other things to see and do.

Mike, N0SO