KX3 questions

Ronald Nutter
I am thinking about purchasing a KX3.  I can afford the KX3 but probably
not any of the options at this point.  Is this worth doing and then
adding the modules as I can afford them or should I wait until I can
afford the whole ball of wax ?

It looks I may be in San Francisco on business for close to a week in
the near future.  Is it worth considering having a KX3 shipped to my
hotel and then working on it at night ?  If so, what tools should I
either pack in my luggage or try to buy locally ?

Thanks,
Ron
KA4KYI

Re: KX3 questions

Nr4c
I think you could have a lot of fun building the basic radio and adding
stuff ss you can.  I did this with my K3.

...bill nr4c

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Droid

Re: KX3 questions

Ronald Nutter
Bill:

Can you give me a rough idea of how long it will take to assemble ?
Want to make sure I will have enough time to put it together without
rushing.
I have built quite a few of the heathkit kits while they were in
business.  Even built a K1 several years ago and later sold it,
regretting that.

Ron

On 6/12/12 10:06 PM, Bill Conkling wrote:

> I think you could have a lot of fun building the basic radio and
> adding stuff ss you can.  I did this with my K3.
>
> ...bill nr4c
>
> /Sent from my Verizon Wireless Droid/

Re: KX3 questions

Bill Frantz
I've had a lot of fun with my "naked" K3. With the sunspots
being cooperative, QRP is a lot of fun. I can upgrade power
later. If I run into crowded bands, I can add filters, but I
haven't had much problem with the antennas I am using. Probably
the first "extra" I'll add is a P3.

I think I would feel the same way if I had a KX3.

If you can handle the ESD precautions and get delivery at the
right time, building one in your hotel room sounds like a lot
more fun than watching TV.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV

On 6/12/12 at 19:42, [hidden email] (Ronald Nutter) wrote:

>I am thinking about purchasing a KX3.  I can afford the KX3 but
>probably not any of the options at this point.  Is this worth
>doing and then adding the modules as I can afford them or
>should I wait until I can afford the whole ball of wax ?

Re: KX3 questions

Mike Morrow-3

> It looks I may be in San Francisco on business for close to
> a week in the near future.  Is it worth considering having a
> KX3 shipped to my hotel and then working on it at night ?

Sure...just as long as you plan to be at that hotel for some time longer than the current estimated order backlog time of four months.  :-)

KK5F

Re: KX3 questions

Nr4c
Well, I haven't rec'd my KX3 yet, but from what I've read, and some videos
posted here, it should take about 2-3 hours from the time you open the box,
assuming you are already set with an ESD matt and wrist strap.  Go buy a
new, good quality #1 and #0 Phillips screw-driver, have your multi-meter
handy and a pair of nice needle-nosed pliers and you should be set.  For
more details, see the "KX3 Assembly Manual" on the website (elecraft.com
'Manuals and Downloads'  'KX3'.

My KX3 is supposed to ship in the next few days, so I'm anxious to get
started on mine.  More details after I finish building.

...bill  nr4c

  _____

Re: KX3 questions

Jim Low man
That's the beauty of buying an Elecraft kit, Ron.
You start with the basic KX3 and add options as you feel that they're
needed.
Try that with the "Big Three."  A new model is introduced, and suddenly your
current transceiver has dropped in resale value.

The necessary tools are noted in the "Tools Required for Assembly" section
of the KX3 Assembly Manual:

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/KX3%20Kit%20Assembly%20Manual-sm.pdf

Depending on the timeframe of "the near future," Elecraft is quoting
90-120 days
for delivery for KX3s ordered now.

72/73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 6/12/2012 7:42 PM, Ronald Nutter wrote:

> I am thinking about purchasing a KX3.  I can afford the KX3 but probably
> not any of the options at this point.  Is this worth doing and then
> adding the modules as I can afford them or should I wait until I can
> afford the whole ball of wax ?
>
> It looks I may be in San Francisco on business for close to a week in
> the near future.  Is it worth considering having a KX3 shipped to my
> hotel and then working on it at night ?  If so, what tools should I
> either pack in my luggage or try to buy locally ?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron
> KA4KYI

Re: KX3 questions

Jim Low man
Ron, it's all mechanical assembly - no soldering required.
Totally different than the K1 or Heathkits.

72/73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 6/12/2012 8:27 PM, Ronald Nutter wrote:

> Bill:
>
> Can you give me a rough idea of how long it will take to assemble ?
> Want to make sure I will have enough time to put it together without
> rushing.
> I have built quite a few of the heathkit kits while they were in
> business.  Even built a K1 several years ago and later sold it,
> regretting that.
>
> Ron

Re: KX3 questions

Ronald Nutter
I appreciate everyone's response.  Got the word back from Elecraft that
nothing is available at this point and it looks like sometime in the
fall at the earliest before something will be available.
Will have to do without for now and see what things look like in the fall.

Will unsubscribe from the reflector for the time being,
Ron
KA4KYI