KXPD3 again...

Pierre
Hi folks,

 Well, after more than 2 months of operations with the KXPD3 and more than 350 QSOs, I still have trouble with that paddle. It occasionally misses either a dit or a dah. On these occasions, when I push the paddle, the contact don't produces anything.

 So far, the fixes that have read:

 - clean the black anodizing around the hole where the head of the thumb screw sits. I was told that it was done at the factory starting at a S/N earlier than mine, so I did not tried it. Maybe I should do it.
 - To 'file' the contacts screws.. Done this, but not much change...
 - Changing the spring: I did not do it, and wonder of it could be THE fix..

 It is a bit strange that after all the complaints about the KXPD3, Elecraft has not fixed that once and for all...?

 About the spring, I would suggest that Elecraft provides us with a set of 3 to 4 new springs of different tensions so that we can test/choose the one that works best for each user.

 73 de VE2PID KX3 S/N 190

Re: KXPD3 again...

Don Butler
I finally got around to reshaping the cupped ends of the KXPD3 contact
screws as others have suggested, and it seems to have solved all of my
KXPD3 issues.  I can now adjust the paddles very tightly and no longer
have runaway dits or dahs.  I no longer have dropped dits or dahs, and I
don't have the random delayed response problem which I had been
experiencing.

To accomplish the reshaping I disassembled the KXPD3, but left the screw
in each paddle (extended several turns to provide better access, and
secured with the set screw).  That provided a handle and allowed me to
keep it under control while using a fine white stone in my dental drill
to do the shaping (I'm a retired dentist and still have an old belt
driven handpiece on my workbench, but a Dremel mototool or something
similar will work just as well) and I just rounded off the cupped ends.
I didn't have to mess with the spring.  I have taken a few closeup
photos of the final result which I can post, but am not sure if the
reflector will allow jpeg attachments (what say Wayne?)

I also rotated the brass cylinders to move the wear marks (caused by the
sharp cupped screw ends) away from the contact area.

After several ragchew type qsos I'm confident that all of my previous
KXPD3 issues have been solved.

Don, N5LZ KX3 S/N 125

Re: KXPD3 again...

wayne burdick
Hi Pierre,

We're testing some different KXPD3 hardware, and will make it
available free on request once we've ordered sufficient quantities.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Pierre wrote:

> ...occasionally misses either a dit or a dah....

Re: KXPD3 again...

Bill K9YEQ
Don,

Great idea of using the lever to hold the set screw.  I have tried it by
hand with my Dremel and it is too difficult to hold.  I will try your
method.  I also suspect the set screw as the issue.  I have built a few kit
paddles and whether it is screws or set screws, the best method is a nice
round tip to avoid the problems.  I will also try the spring change as I
don't like any noise from my key and have purchased the latest ZNQRP paddle
with ultrafine threads and the Begali travel lite.  The KXPD3 with a finer
thread rounded point set screw would be more than perfect.  I don't know if
set screws come any finer, if they did, I would re-tap mine for said
improvement.  The Elecraft paddles are very reasonably priced so I know they
are very fair.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ