Kit Builder Question on Toroid Inductor Winding Wire

Kit Builder Question on Toroid Inductor Winding Wire

Phil Hystad
Since there are a lot of kit builders on this forum I have a question that maybe someone can answer.  What is the best "magnet" type wire for winding toroid style inductors.  By best, I mean the enamel insulation on the wire for ease of removal and soldering and so on.

And, do you have a source for such wire.

thanks,
phil, K7PEH

Re: Kit Builder Question on Toroid Inductor Winding Wire

Don Wilhelm-4
Phil,

You want "Thermaleze" wire - it strips with heat.  One source is Doug
Hendricks kits - http://www.qrpkits.com/.

Phil Hystad wrote:

> Since there are a lot of kit builders on this forum I have a question that maybe someone can answer.  What is the best "magnet" type wire for winding toroid style inductors.  By best, I mean the enamel insulation on the wire for ease of removal and soldering and so on.
>
> And, do you have a source for such wire.
>
> thanks,
> phil, K7PEH

Re: Kit Builder Question on Toroid Inductor Winding Wire

Jack Smith-6
Depends on the  volume you need. I recently bought several pounds total
of different colors and gauges at about one-third the price of Mouser or
DigiKey from James Whyte at [hidden email]

He also sells on E-bay or you can contact him directly for a quote on
what you need. It's all new wire from Essex and comes on spools.

You want the type of insulation that is melted by the heat of soldering.
It goes by various names but generally is 155 deg C insulation,
sometimes with a overcoat which is known as type SPN.

Jack K8ZOA

On 12/17/2009 7:47 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> Since there are a lot of kit builders on this forum I have a question that maybe someone can answer.  What is the best "magnet" type wire for winding toroid style inductors.  By best, I mean the enamel insulation on the wire for ease of removal and soldering and so on.
>
> And, do you have a source for such wire.
>
> thanks,
> phil, K7PEH

Re: Kit Builder Question on Toroid Inductor Winding Wire

Phil Hystad
Thanks Jack and Don for your answers.  Just what I was looking for.

phil, K7PEH

On Dec 17, 2009, at 5:18 PM, Jack Smith wrote:

> Depends on the  volume you need. I recently bought several pounds total of different colors and gauges at about one-third the price of Mouser or DigiKey from James Whyte at [hidden email]
>
> He also sells on E-bay or you can contact him directly for a quote on what you need. It's all new wire from Essex and comes on spools.
>
> You want the type of insulation that is melted by the heat of soldering. It goes by various names but generally is 155 deg C insulation, sometimes with a overcoat which is known as type SPN.
>
> Jack K8ZOA
>

> On 12/17/2009 7:47 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>>
>> Since there are a lot of kit builders on this forum I have a question that maybe someone can answer.  What is the best "magnet" type wire for winding toroid style inductors.  By best, I mean the enamel insulation on the wire for ease of removal and soldering and so on.
>>
>> And, do you have a source for such wire.
>>
>> thanks,
>> phil, K7PEH

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Open Mic

Mike Harris
G'day,

Sounds like an open mic on 14243.82kHz  Lots of voices, club
meeting?

Regards,

Mike VP8NO