Kudos to Best Buy (yes, I know, this is very OT)

Locked 14 messages Options

Kudos to Best Buy (yes, I know, this is very OT)

wayne burdick
Administrator
I just became a lifetime customer of Best Buy -- at least the one in
San Carlos, CA. They didn't have a power adapter I needed in stock, so
they pulled one off a demo unit and sold it to me, even though they
needed it to power the demo unit. That's service.

Wayne
N6KR

Re: Kudos to Best Buy (yes, I know, this is very OT)

David Pratt
In a recent message, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> writes

>I just became a lifetime customer of Best Buy -- at least the one in
>San Carlos, CA. They didn't have a power adapter I needed in stock, so
>they pulled one off a demo unit and sold it to me, even though they
>needed it to power the demo unit. That's service.

That sounds like the sort of service many of us have experienced from
Elecraft.  Enjoy your vacation, Wayne.

73 de David G4DMP
--
 + - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
 | David M Pratt, Kippax, Leeds.   |

Re: Kudos to Best Buy (yes, I know, this is very OT)

N5GE

OT is OK as far as I'm concerned, when your passing info about good service,
Wayne.

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 22:01:47 -0700, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I just became a lifetime customer of Best Buy -- at least the one in
>San Carlos, CA. They didn't have a power adapter I needed in stock, so
>they pulled one off a demo unit and sold it to me, even though they
>needed it to power the demo unit. That's service.
>
>Wayne
>N6KR

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: Kudos to Best Buy (yes, I know, this is very OT)

Phil Hystad-3
Maybe I should go to Best Buy.  Everything I know about Best Buy I learned
from the TV show "Chuck".  OK, actually that is the Buy More but what I
have heard is that it is a mirror image of the Best Buy.  I have a
Fry's Electronics which is closer to me then Best Buy and that has always
been my goto place for that sort of thing.

phil, K7PEH

On Jul 7, 2011, at 10:01 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> I just became a lifetime customer of Best Buy -- at least the one in
> San Carlos, CA. They didn't have a power adapter I needed in stock, so
> they pulled one off a demo unit and sold it to me, even though they
> needed it to power the demo unit. That's service.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: Kudos to Best Buy (yes, I know, this is very OT)

John Ragle
I have the ff 2 comments about our local "Best Buy" in Hadley, MA

(a) They are very well stocked with a wide variety of items, and

(b) I refuse to shop at a store such as the Best Buy in Hadley,MA that
insists on searching one's possessions when one leaves the store.

I do 95% of this sort of my shopping on the internet. The local Radio
Shacks (2) supply solder, common ICs, transistors, etc.

=====

On 7/8/2011 10:41 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> Maybe I should go to Best Buy.  Everything I know about Best Buy I learned
> from the TV show "Chuck".  OK, actually that is the Buy More but what I
> have heard is that it is a mirror image of the Best Buy.  I have a
> Fry's Electronics which is closer to me then Best Buy and that has always
> been my goto place for that sort of thing.
>
> phil, K7PEH
>
> On Jul 7, 2011, at 10:01 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>> I just became a lifetime customer of Best Buy -- at least the one in
>> San Carlos, CA. They didn't have a power adapter I needed in stock, so
>> they pulled one off a demo unit and sold it to me, even though they
>> needed it to power the demo unit. That's service.
>>
>> Wayne
>> N6KR

Re: Kudos to Best Buy (yes, I know, this is very OT)

n7ws
After losing my wife, best friend and traveling partner earlier in the year I've been looking to something to occupy my time.  (Ham radio isn't getting it done)  I decided to rekindle an old interest in photography. So I did a lot of online comparisons of DSLRs and narrowed the choice to a couple of options.

I went to my local Best Buy about a month ago to do a hands-on comparison.  This is difficult because they have so much anti-theft crap hanging on them you can't even assess the weight.  I was there twice and both times the clerks were so surly and unhelpful that I left POed both times.

Since then I've spent about three kilobucks with Amazon.  No fuss, no tax and with Prime shipping, I order today, it's here tomorrow, and if I don't like it they take it back with no more hassle than driving to the UPS store.

Wes

--- On Fri, 7/8/11, John Ragle <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have the ff 2 comments about our local "Best Buy" in Hadley, MA

(a) They are very well stocked with a wide variety of items, and

(b) I refuse to shop at a store such as the Best Buy in Hadley,MA that
insists on searching one's possessions when one leaves the store.

I do 95% of this sort of my shopping on the internet. The local Radio
Shacks (2) supply solder, common ICs, transistors, etc.

Re: Kudos to Best Buy (yes, I know, this is very OT)

Jim Campbell
You should call or email the manager of the store and tell him/her this.
With unemployment as high as it is it should not be difficult to find
replacements. And the manager should be sure to tell the replacements
why they got the job.

Jim - W4BQP

On 7/8/2011 11:54 AM, Wes Stewart wrote:
> After losing my wife, best friend and traveling partner earlier in the year I've been looking to something to occupy my time.  (Ham radio isn't getting it done)  I decided to rekindle an old interest in photography. So I did a lot of online comparisons of DSLRs and narrowed the choice to a couple of options.
>
> I went to my local Best Buy about a month ago to do a hands-on comparison.  This is difficult because they have so much anti-theft crap hanging on them you can't even assess the weight.  I was there twice and both times the clerks were so surly and unhelpful that I left POed both times.
>
> Since then I've spent about three kilobucks with Amazon.  No fuss, no tax and with Prime shipping, I order today, it's here tomorrow, and if I don't like it they take it back with no more hassle than driving to the UPS store.
>
> Wes

Re: Kudos to Best Buy (yes, I know, this is very OT)

n7ws
I suspect that it's the manager that should be replaced.

--- On Fri, 7/8/11, Jim Campbell <[hidden email]> wrote:

You should call or email the manager of the store and tell him/her this.
With unemployment as high as it is it should not be difficult to find
replacements. And the manager should be sure to tell the replacements
why they got the job.

Jim - W4BQP

On 7/8/2011 11:54 AM, Wes Stewart wrote:
> After losing my wife, best friend and traveling partner earlier in the year I've been looking to something to occupy my time.  (Ham radio isn't getting it done)  I decided to rekindle an old interest in photography. So I did a lot of online comparisons of DSLRs and narrowed the choice to a couple of options.
>
> I went to my local Best Buy about a month ago to do a hands-on comparison.  This is difficult because they have so much anti-theft crap hanging on them you can't even assess the weight.  I was there twice and both times the clerks were so surly and unhelpful that I left POed both times.
>
> Since then I've spent about three kilobucks with Amazon.  No fuss, no tax and with Prime shipping, I order today, it's here tomorrow, and if I don't like it they take it back with no more hassle than driving to the UPS store.
>
> Wes

Re: Kudos to Best Buy (yes, I know, this is very OT)

N5GE

John,

I used to refuse to shop at any Best Buy because of the "search before you
leave" policy, but now I just give the employee a really mean stare and politely
say, "NO, thank you.".

That works everywhere here where I live.

Glad you're not one of the sheep...

On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 10:59:09 -0400, John Ragle <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have the ff 2 comments about our local "Best Buy" in Hadley, MA
>
>(a) They are very well stocked with a wide variety of items, and
>
>(b) I refuse to shop at a store such as the Best Buy in Hadley,MA that
>insists on searching one's possessions when one leaves the store.

[snip]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: Kudos to Best Buy (yes, I know, this is very OT)

george fritkin
Can the Moderator explain to me why this reflector is used for 'chit-chat' that has nothing to do with Elecraft and its products
Love my two K3s
George, W6GF

You should call or email the manager of the store and tell him/her this.
With unemployment as high as it is it should not be difficult to find
replacements. And the manager should be sure to tell the replacements
why they got the job.

Jim - W4BQP

On 7/8/2011 11:54 AM, Wes Stewart wrote:
> After losing my wife, best friend and traveling partner earlier in the year I've been looking to something to occupy my time.  (Ham radio isn't getting it done)  I decided to rekindle an old interest in photography. So I did a lot of online comparisons of DSLRs and narrowed the choice to a couple of options.
>
> I went to my local Best Buy about a month ago to do a hands-on comparison.  This is difficult because they have so much anti-theft crap hanging on them you can't even assess the weight.  I was there twice and both times the clerks were so surly and unhelpful that I left POed both times.
>
> Since then I've spent about three kilobucks with Amazon.  No fuss, no tax and with Prime shipping, I order today, it's here tomorrow, and if I don't like it they take it back with no more hassle than driving to the UPS store.
>
> Wes

Re: Kudos to Best Buy (yes, I know, this is very OT)

Pete Smith N4ZR
Too true, Wes.  My local Best Buy is a new store, and the place looks
like a store on the way out - most items only one or two, many out of
stock, grumpy staff, etc.  To read their return policy, you have to
hunker down at the service desk and read a fine-print placard posted at
waist height.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

On 7/8/2011 11:54 AM, Wes Stewart wrote:

> After losing my wife, best friend and traveling partner earlier in the year I've been looking to something to occupy my time.  (Ham radio isn't getting it done)  I decided to rekindle an old interest in photography. So I did a lot of online comparisons of DSLRs and narrowed the choice to a couple of options.
>
> I went to my local Best Buy about a month ago to do a hands-on comparison.  This is difficult because they have so much anti-theft crap hanging on them you can't even assess the weight.  I was there twice and both times the clerks were so surly and unhelpful that I left POed both times.
>
> Since then I've spent about three kilobucks with Amazon.  No fuss, no tax and with Prime shipping, I order today, it's here tomorrow, and if I don't like it they take it back with no more hassle than driving to the UPS store.
>
> Wes
>
> --- On Fri, 7/8/11, John Ragle<[hidden email]>  wrote:
> I have the ff 2 comments about our local "Best Buy" in Hadley, MA
>
> (a) They are very well stocked with a wide variety of items, and
>
> (b) I refuse to shop at a store such as the Best Buy in Hadley,MA that
> insists on searching one's possessions when one leaves the store.
>
> I do 95% of this sort of my shopping on the internet. The local Radio
> Shacks (2) supply solder, common ICs, transistors, etc.

Re: Kudos to Best Buy (yes, I know, this is very OT)

wayne burdick
Without this adapter I wouldn't have been able to get some crucial Elecraft firmware  completed, so it isn't entirely OT.

That said, it's time to end the thread.

Wayne
N6KR

----
http://www.elecraft.com

On Jul 8, 2011, at 11:42 AM, george fritkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can the Moderator explain to me why this reflector is used for 'chit-chat' that has nothing to do with Elecraft and its products
> Love my two K3s
> George, W6GF

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Ok. now it -is- time to close this OT thread.

In general, its not necessary to continue comments at this OT level past
1 or 2 after the initial post. :-)

73, Eric
List modulator

---
www.elecraft.com

Re: Kudos to Best Buy (yes, I know, this is very OT)

Phil Kane-2
On 7/8/2011 11:40 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I used to refuse to shop at any Best Buy because of the "search
> before you leave" policy, but now I just give the employee a
> really mean stare and politely say, "NO, thank you.".

  Fry's supposed to have the same policy.  The clerk that rings
  you up says "show your receipt at the exit".  I do - from about
  10 feet away without breaking my stride.  No problem. Big smile.

  On the other side of the coin - Costco has the same policy, and
  being a membership store, we have given them the right to do
  that as part of the sign-up contract.  Once the exit checker
  found that we had left something at the register.  Good catch.

  The pendulum swings both ways.

--  73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
    Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402