Kx1 Z1 Encoder testing

Burke Jones-2
I am almost done with my KX1. During each test section I have noticed
that there seems to be a problem. Sometimes turning Z1 changes the
frequency display but sometimes when you turn it the last 2 digits on
the display just go back and fourth - like from 1 to 2 then 1 then 2.

I have triple checked the solder connections at Z1.

I am trying to figure out if I might have a faulty Z1 encoder. Can
anyone tell me how I could use my DMM to test directly at the "leads"
of the Z1?  If so which leads and what should I look for?

Thanks for all your help!!

Burke Jones
N0HYD
Http://www.n0hyd.com

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Kx1 Z1 Encoder testing

Don Wilhelm-4
Burke,

Yes, you can test the encoder and its circuit to the microprocessor with
a DMM.
Measure the voltage from the encoder pins as you slowly rotate the
encoder shaft.  The outer two pins in the row of 3 are the ones to
measure.  As you rotate the shaft, the voltage should jump between zero
volts and something close to 5 volts.  If it does not go to zero, there
is a problem with the encoder.
If the voltage does not go up to the vicinity of 5 volts, look carefully
at RP3 and U1 pins 3 and 4.

If that does not reveal a problem, I can give you some resistance checks
to make too.

Burke Jones wrote:

> I am almost done with my KX1. During each test section I have noticed
> that there seems to be a problem. Sometimes turning Z1 changes the
> frequency display but sometimes when you turn it the last 2 digits on
> the display just go back and fourth - like from 1 to 2 then 1 then 2.
>
> I have triple checked the solder connections at Z1.
>
> I am trying to figure out if I might have a faulty Z1 encoder. Can
> anyone tell me how I could use my DMM to test directly at the "leads"
> of the Z1?  If so which leads and what should I look for?
>
> Thanks for all your help!!
>
> Burke Jones
> N0HYD
> Http://www.n0hyd.com
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Kx1 Z1 Encoder testing

Burke Jones-2
Okay. Here is what happens. I was lucky when I turned it on to check
it was having problems because it sometimes works right.

The display showed .8 and 0 volts. I would turn it and it would go to
4.89 volts and the display would change to .9 and the voltage would
stay at 4.89 until I turned it a bit. Then the display would change
to .8 and the voltage would be 0.

It would just repeat this over and over everytime I turned z1 a bit.

Then it started working and the voltage would be 0 until I turned it
and it would go up into the 5 volt range and then back to 0 when I
stopped turning it.

Does that seem to indicate a z1 that is faulty sometimes?

Burke Jones
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 14, 2009, at 7:37 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Burke,
>
> Yes, you can test the encoder and its circuit to the microprocessor
> with a DMM.
> Measure the voltage from the encoder pins as you slowly rotate the
> encoder shaft.  The outer two pins in the row of 3 are the ones to
> measure.  As you rotate the shaft, the voltage should jump between
> zero volts and something close to 5 volts.  If it does not go to
> zero, there is a problem with the encoder.
> If the voltage does not go up to the vicinity of 5 volts, look
> carefully at RP3 and U1 pins 3 and 4.
>
> If that does not reveal a problem, I can give you some resistance
> checks to make too.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> Burke Jones wrote:
>> I am almost done with my KX1. During each test section I have
>> noticed  that there seems to be a problem. Sometimes turning Z1
>> changes the  frequency display but sometimes when you turn it the
>> last 2 digits on  the display just go back and fourth - like from 1
>> to 2 then 1 then 2.
>>
>> I have triple checked the solder connections at Z1.
>>
>> I am trying to figure out if I might have a faulty Z1 encoder. Can
>> anyone tell me how I could use my DMM to test directly at the
>> "leads"  of the Z1?  If so which leads and what should I look for?
>>
>> Thanks for all your help!!
>>
>> Burke Jones
>> N0HYD
>> Http://www.n0hyd.com
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> ---
>>  - Release Date: 03/14/09 06:54:00

Re: Kx1 Z1 Encoder testing

Burke Jones-2
Another thing I meant to tell you in the las email. Unrelated to z1.

I did the resistance checks on page 54. All checks out good except for
Q4 Collector. I am getting 9.63k instead of >10k. Is this a problem?
If so where should I look.

Burke Jones
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 14, 2009, at 7:37 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Burke,
>
> Yes, you can test the encoder and its circuit to the microprocessor
> with a DMM.
> Measure the voltage from the encoder pins as you slowly rotate the
> encoder shaft.  The outer two pins in the row of 3 are the ones to
> measure.  As you rotate the shaft, the voltage should jump between
> zero volts and something close to 5 volts.  If it does not go to
> zero, there is a problem with the encoder.
> If the voltage does not go up to the vicinity of 5 volts, look
> carefully at RP3 and U1 pins 3 and 4.
>
> If that does not reveal a problem, I can give you some resistance
> checks to make too.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> Burke Jones wrote:
>> I am almost done with my KX1. During each test section I have
>> noticed  that there seems to be a problem. Sometimes turning Z1
>> changes the  frequency display but sometimes when you turn it the
>> last 2 digits on  the display just go back and fourth - like from 1
>> to 2 then 1 then 2.
>>
>> I have triple checked the solder connections at Z1.
>>
>> I am trying to figure out if I might have a faulty Z1 encoder. Can
>> anyone tell me how I could use my DMM to test directly at the
>> "leads"  of the Z1?  If so which leads and what should I look for?
>>
>> Thanks for all your help!!
>>
>> Burke Jones
>> N0HYD
>> Http://www.n0hyd.com
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> ---
>>  - Release Date: 03/14/09 06:54:00

Re: Kx1 Z1 Encoder testing

Don Wilhelm-4
Burke,

If Q4 collector is the only point that is less than 10k, that is a
mystery - it should connect directly to the base of Q5 and only to Q5
base - (and therefore have the same resistance reading).  Check again
and make certain both readings are the same.

The 9.63k ohms *may* be OK, but you should have the same reading at Q4
collector as you have at Q5 base.

Burke Jones wrote:

> Another thing I meant to tell you in the las email. Unrelated to z1.
>
> I did the resistance checks on page 54. All checks out good except for
> Q4 Collector. I am getting 9.63k instead of >10k. Is this a problem?
> If so where should I look.
>
> Burke Jones
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 14, 2009, at 7:37 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Burke,
>>
>> Yes, you can test the encoder and its circuit to the microprocessor
>> with a DMM.
>> Measure the voltage from the encoder pins as you slowly rotate the
>> encoder shaft.  The outer two pins in the row of 3 are the ones to
>> measure.  As you rotate the shaft, the voltage should jump between
>> zero volts and something close to 5 volts.  If it does not go to
>> zero, there is a problem with the encoder.
>> If the voltage does not go up to the vicinity of 5 volts, look
>> carefully at RP3 and U1 pins 3 and 4.
>>
>> If that does not reveal a problem, I can give you some resistance
>> checks to make too.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> Burke Jones wrote:
>>
>>> I am almost done with my KX1. During each test section I have
>>> noticed  that there seems to be a problem. Sometimes turning Z1
>>> changes the  frequency display but sometimes when you turn it the
>>> last 2 digits on  the display just go back and fourth - like from 1
>>> to 2 then 1 then 2.
>>>
>>> I have triple checked the solder connections at Z1.
>>>
>>> I am trying to figure out if I might have a faulty Z1 encoder. Can
>>> anyone tell me how I could use my DMM to test directly at the
>>> "leads"  of the Z1?  If so which leads and what should I look for?
>>>
>>> Thanks for all your help!!
>>>
>>> Burke Jones
>>> N0HYD
>>> Http://www.n0hyd.com
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>>> ---
>>>  - Release Date: 03/14/09 06:54:00

Re: Kx1 Z1 Encoder testing

Burke,

That indicates that  Z1 has a high resistance connection - it could be
inside Z1 (faulty Z1) or it could be in your soldering.  Check (and
re-flow) the soldering at U1 pins 3 and 4, RP3 pins 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
and 10 and pins 1, 2 and 3 of Z1.  If that does not fix it, blame Z1.

Burke Jones wrote:

> Okay. Here is what happens. I was lucky when I turned it on to check
> it was having problems because it sometimes works right.
>
> The display showed .8 and 0 volts. I would turn it and it would go to
> 4.89 volts and the display would change to .9 and the voltage would
> stay at 4.89 until I turned it a bit. Then the display would change
> to .8 and the voltage would be 0.
>
> It would just repeat this over and over everytime I turned z1 a bit.
>
> Then it started working and the voltage would be 0 until I turned it
> and it would go up into the 5 volt range and then back to 0 when I
> stopped turning it.
>
> Does that seem to indicate a z1 that is faulty sometimes?
>
> Burke Jones
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 14, 2009, at 7:37 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Burke,
>>
>> Yes, you can test the encoder and its circuit to the microprocessor
>> with a DMM.
>> Measure the voltage from the encoder pins as you slowly rotate the
>> encoder shaft.  The outer two pins in the row of 3 are the ones to
>> measure.  As you rotate the shaft, the voltage should jump between
>> zero volts and something close to 5 volts.  If it does not go to
>> zero, there is a problem with the encoder.
>> If the voltage does not go up to the vicinity of 5 volts, look
>> carefully at RP3 and U1 pins 3 and 4.
>>
>> If that does not reveal a problem, I can give you some resistance
>> checks to make too.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> Burke Jones wrote:
>>
>>> I am almost done with my KX1. During each test section I have
>>> noticed  that there seems to be a problem. Sometimes turning Z1
>>> changes the  frequency display but sometimes when you turn it the
>>> last 2 digits on  the display just go back and fourth - like from 1
>>> to 2 then 1 then 2.
>>>
>>> I have triple checked the solder connections at Z1.
>>>
>>> I am trying to figure out if I might have a faulty Z1 encoder. Can
>>> anyone tell me how I could use my DMM to test directly at the
>>> "leads"  of the Z1?  If so which leads and what should I look for?
>>>
>>> Thanks for all your help!!
>>>
>>> Burke Jones
>>> N0HYD
>>> Http://www.n0hyd.com
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>>> ---
>>>  - Release Date: 03/14/09 06:54:00

Re: Kx1 Z1 Encoder testing

Burke Jones
Don,

I get the same reading at the q4 collector as I do on q5 base -
exactly the same.

I guess I will proceed but make a note to future reference if needed.

Burke