LED vs LCD PC Monitor: RFI?

Brian - N5BCN
I'm replacing the PC monitor in my shack and it appears today's current selection of reasonably-priced monitors are either LCD or LED flat screens in the 20" - 23" range.

Since the monitor will share the same desk as my K2, I wanted to get one with the least amount of RFI.

Is LCD vs LED significantly quieter than the other?  Does anyone have specific recommendations (brand/model) for a RFI quiet monitor?  Thanks!!

73

N5BCN - Brian

Re: LED vs LCD PC Monitor: RFI?

Bruce Beford-2
"LED" monitors are still LCDs. they just use LEDs for the backlight, instead
of fluorescent lamp. In general the LCD monitors are "quieter" than the CRT
type. I have not heard of any data indicating that LED backlights for LCDs
are RFi-quieter that CCFLs. (cold cathode fluorescent) as a breed.

it will be interesting to see if anyone can indicate an RFI problem from an
LCD that was resolved by replacing with an LED-backlit model/. Still, that
would not be definative. Simple differences in other parts of the
design/construction may be a factor. Still, the LED does not need a
high-voltage supply- that is a design point in it's favor.

The primary advantages of the newer LED backlights are longer life (the LED
does not lose its brightness over time), and reduction of hazardous
substances (notably, mercury in the CCFLs)

Bruce, N1RX

Re: LED vs LCD PC Monitor: RFI?

kevinr@coho.net
I have four monitors running in front of me right now.  None of them make
any hash on my K3.  Two ViewSonic VG2230wm which are LCD with fluorescent
backlights.  The other two monitors are Asus VE278 which are LCD with LED
backlights.  The LED backlighting is superior.  As I mentioned there is no
RF hash from any of the four.  I also have four other LCD monitors with
fluorescent backlights which have never caused me any difficulty either.
They are on computers in other rooms; they are Sony monitors from six
years ago.  I also use a Thinkpad laptop right next to my K3 which does
not cause any interference either.  I would pay the extra money and get
the LED backlighting.  It is very bright.  The first time I looked at my
new 27" monitors I was very surprised.
    GL and 73,
       Kevin.  KD5ONS

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 08:22:25 -0700, Brian - N5BCN <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm replacing the PC monitor in my shack and it appears today's current
> selection of reasonably-priced monitors are either LCD or LED flat
> screens
> in the 20" - 23" range.
>
> Since the monitor will share the same desk as my K2, I wanted to get one
> with the least amount of RFI.
>
> Is LCD vs LED significantly quieter than the other?  Does anyone have
> specific recommendations (brand/model) for a RFI quiet monitor?  Thanks!!
>
> 73
>
> N5BCN - Brian
>
> -----
> K2 #6800 KPA100/KAT100-2, KSB2, KAT2, KIO2, K160RX, KNB2, KAF2,
> LP-PAN/K2 w/ Pre-amp, SignaLink USB

Re: LED vs LCD PC Monitor: RFI?

N5GE

I am using two HP 2311x monitors above both of my K3s nd they make no
interference.

Tom
N5GE

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 08:22:25 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>I'm replacing the PC monitor in my shack and it appears today's current
>selection of reasonably-priced monitors are either LCD or LED flat screens
>in the 20" - 23" range.
>
>Since the monitor will share the same desk as my K2, I wanted to get one
>with the least amount of RFI.
>
>Is LCD vs LED significantly quieter than the other?  Does anyone have
>specific recommendations (brand/model) for a RFI quiet monitor?  Thanks!!
>
>73
>
>N5BCN - Brian
>
>-----
>K2 #6800 KPA100/KAT100-2, KSB2, KAT2, KIO2, K160RX, KNB2, KAF2, LP-PAN/K2 w/ Pre-amp, SignaLink USB

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: LED vs LCD PC Monitor: RFI?

reledtubes
In replacing my lighting fixture, I'm trying to figure out which might be more energy efficient. Would it be, an LED track lighting fixture with four 50W bulbs, or a square fluorescent lighting fixture with two 40W tubes?

LED Downlights  led lamps bulbs  led flood lights dimmable