Limit topics in email

HREFAB
Is there a way to limit the posts that are sent to my email address to a specific subject? I see there the option is there in the member page, but it isn't able to be changed. I would only be interested in KX3 posts but I get about 500 posts a day on all elecraft subjects. It would be nice to pick the topics I was interested in rather than get the bulk delivery.

Re: Limit topics in email

Dick Dickinson
Hi, Jim,

You might consider viewing the posts online in your web browser.

http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/elecraft/2014-May/date.html

73,

Dick - KA5KKT

  _____

Is there a way to limit the posts that are sent to my email address to a

specific subject? I see there the option is there in the member page, but it

isn't able to be changed. I would only be interested in KX3 posts but I get

about 500 posts a day on all elecraft subjects. It would be nice to pick the

topics I was interested in rather than get the bulk delivery.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Limit topics in email

k6dgw
It is customary on this list to begin your subject with the model of
Elecraft product(s) you are writing about.  Many but not everyone does that.

Most email clients provide for "filters" that allow you to identify
messages by the subject, who they are from, and words in the body, and
then take some action with the message.  I use Thunderbird and have a
number of filters set up.  For example, I sold my Buddipole and couldn't
figure out how to unsubscribe from the BP group so I have a filter that
sends everything from that group to the trash.

You could do something like: if subject does not contain "KX3" then send
to trash.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org

On 5/5/2014 11:40 AM, HREFAB wrote:
> Is there a way to limit the posts that are sent to my email address to a
> specific subject? I see there the option is there in the member page, but it
> isn't able to be changed. I would only be interested in KX3 posts but I get
> about 500 posts a day on all elecraft subjects. It would be nice to pick the
> topics I was interested in rather than get the bulk delivery.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Limit topics in email

Kevin Stover
This is the answer.
Of course it requires that people correctly fill in the subject line.
More and more people are having trouble with that or just don't care.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Limit topics in email

F5LCI
Hi,
2 years ago I have subscribed to the KX3 thread only : I agree that the subscription procedure is a bit tricky, but it works.

72 de F5LCI/MM (but not allowed to)

Re: Limit topics in email

HREFAB
Good answers all, but it's the part in the subscription page that isn't really working. I think if that were implemented, then I could simply subscribe to the KX3 thread and be done with it. If not, then I'll probably just unsubscribve to it all and check manually.

Thanks

Jim KD2FIP

Re: Limit topics in email

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
There are times when I wish the Elecraft list was by model (and not just
one big list) and then there are times when I learn things that apply to
my KX3 that would never have been posted to a KX3 list.

... and that reminded me of a tool I used to use called POPFile.

While I used it for spam filtering (it's a Bayesian filter so it learns
to classify mail by example), I'm using similar Bayesian algorithms
built-in to Thunderbird for anti-spam.

What POPFile does that's somewhat unique is that it will classify on
really any criteria, not just good/bad (non-spam vs. spam).

It could be applied to this list to sort it by interest area (portable,
antenna, contesting, firmware, etc.) and with a little training (a few
days) give someone exactly what they'd want.

You'd find it at http://getpopfile.org.

As for implemented/unimplemented features, the list is operated by
QTH.net.  They run a whole stack of amateur radio related lists using
Mailman, which is free software.  It works reasonably well, but I don't
think QTH.net makes a lot of money on list management, and probably
isn't too motivated to fix issues.

There is the KX3 Yahoo group, but the signal/noise ratio is really kind
of awful, IMHO.

73 -- Lynn

On 5/6/2014 9:39 PM, HREFAB wrote:
> Good answers all, but it's the part in the subscription page that isn't
> really working. I think if that were implemented, then I could simply
> subscribe to the KX3 thread and be done with it. If not, then I'll probably
> just unsubscribve to it all and check manually.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Limit topics in email

W2RMS
There are times (just about all the time, really) when i wish that this list would join the 21 century (just like their radios) and get converted to a FORUM (BB, phpnuke, etc..).
This is so very archaic...
No offense to anyone, the content on here is priceless, goes without saying. But a mailing list???

__________________
Slava (Sal) B, W2RMS
[hidden email]

On May 7, 2014, at 1:18 AM, Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are times when I wish the Elecraft list was by model (and not just one big list) and then there are times when I learn things that apply to my KX3 that would never have been posted to a KX3 list.
>
> ... and that reminded me of a tool I used to use called POPFile.
>
> While I used it for spam filtering (it's a Bayesian filter so it learns to classify mail by example), I'm using similar Bayesian algorithms built-in to Thunderbird for anti-spam.
>
> What POPFile does that's somewhat unique is that it will classify on really any criteria, not just good/bad (non-spam vs. spam).
>
> It could be applied to this list to sort it by interest area (portable, antenna, contesting, firmware, etc.) and with a little training (a few days) give someone exactly what they'd want.
>
> You'd find it at http://getpopfile.org.
>
> As for implemented/unimplemented features, the list is operated by QTH.net.  They run a whole stack of amateur radio related lists using Mailman, which is free software.  It works reasonably well, but I don't think QTH.net makes a lot of money on list management, and probably isn't too motivated to fix issues.
>
> There is the KX3 Yahoo group, but the signal/noise ratio is really kind of awful, IMHO.
>
> 73 -- Lynn
>
> On 5/6/2014 9:39 PM, HREFAB wrote:
>> Good answers all, but it's the part in the subscription page that isn't
>> really working. I think if that were implemented, then I could simply
>> subscribe to the KX3 thread and be done with it. If not, then I'll probably
>> just unsubscribve to it all and check manually.

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Limit topics in email

Pierfrancesco Caci

I disagree wholehartedly. I can easily read this mailing list on any
type of client, including my cell phone. I sure don't miss any eye
candy, icons, animations or anything else. If a thread doesn't interest
me, I hit delete until satisfied. If I need to look up past
informations, google and the 2 mail archives most likely provide me the
answer. To me, this mailing list, as it is,  provides great customer service.

    Slava> There are times (just about all the time, really) when i wish that this list would join the 21 century (just like their radios) and get converted to a FORUM (BB, phpnuke, etc..).
    Slava> This is so very archaic...
    Slava> No offense to anyone, the content on here is priceless, goes without saying. But a mailing list???

--
Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Limit topics in email

If this list moves to a forum format, I for one will "bail out" - I hate
trying to follow something on a forum.
I may be in the minority, but I am interested in all the Elecraft
products, and I use filters in my email client to sort the list content
as I desire at any one particular time (it is not always the same).
It may be archaic, but it works for me.

If you want it to be more "forum-like" try setting your subscription to
'no mail' and read the list at Nabble.  You can still post, but there is
no email sent to you.

On 5/7/2014 7:45 AM, Slava Baytalskiy wrote:
> There are times (just about all the time, really) when i wish that this list would join the 21 century (just like their radios) and get converted to a FORUM (BB, phpnuke, etc..).
> This is so very archaic...
> No offense to anyone, the content on here is priceless, goes without saying. But a mailing list???

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Limit topics in email

W2RMS
I understand, Don. People get used to certain things and stick with them.
By the way, all forums have the ability to email you all responses to the topics of interest.
Its ok. It is what it is...
__________________
Slava (Sal) B, W2RMS
[hidden email]

On May 7, 2014, at 8:04 AM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If this list moves to a forum format, I for one will "bail out" - I hate trying to follow something on a forum.
> I may be in the minority, but I am interested in all the Elecraft products, and I use filters in my email client to sort the list content as I desire at any one particular time (it is not always the same).
> It may be archaic, but it works for me.
>
> If you want it to be more "forum-like" try setting your subscription to 'no mail' and read the list at Nabble.  You can still post, but there is no email sent to you.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 5/7/2014 7:45 AM, Slava Baytalskiy wrote:
>> There are times (just about all the time, really) when i wish that this list would join the 21 century (just like their radios) and get converted to a FORUM (BB, phpnuke, etc..).
>> This is so very archaic...
>> No offense to anyone, the content on here is priceless, goes without saying. But a mailing list???

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Limit topics in email

Mike Reublin
I also heartily dislike the clumsy hard to follow un-threaded forum format. I am a member of a number of forums, but only because they don't offer mailing lists.

73, Mike NF4L

>> On 5/7/2014 7:45 AM, Slava Baytalskiy wrote:
>>> There are times (just about all the time, really) when i wish that this list would join the 21 century (just like their radios) and get converted to a FORUM (BB, phpnuke, etc..).
>>> This is so very archaic...
>>> No offense to anyone, the content on here is priceless, goes without saying. But a mailing list???

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Limit topics in email

Brian
I agree entirely with your comments Slava.

'73.

Brian ........ 2E0BWQ.

Sent from my iPad

> On 7 May 2014, at 12:58, Pierfrancesco Caci <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I disagree wholehartedly. I can easily read this mailing list on any
> type of client, including my cell phone. I sure don't miss any eye
> candy, icons, animations or anything else. If a thread doesn't interest
> me, I hit delete until satisfied. If I need to look up past
> informations, google and the 2 mail archives most likely provide me the
> answer. To me, this mailing list, as it is,  provides great customer service.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Limit topics in email

Mike Sanders

 Elecraft has done a fantastic job with this mailing list. I also agree with
the response
below. This email reflector is one of the selling points for Elecraft in
general and the
help it provides. I know of no other company past or present that has done a
job this
good on continued customer service. I do not often post but I read everyday
and spend
most of the time deleting way off topic posts. They drone on and on without
end. A small
amount of restraint in keeping the posts at least close to Elecraft as a
subject would be
good. Anything that would harm the existence or longevity of this reflector
would be a
very bad thing and would harm Elecraft itself. Personally I would not want
to see that
happen. 73

                                    KØAZ    Mike Sanders   EM37cd
www.k0az.com
                                                             SouthWest
Missouri

> I disagree wholeheartedly. I can easily read this mailing list on any
> type of client, including my cell phone. I sure don't miss any eye
> candy, icons, animations or anything else. If a thread doesn't interest
> me, I hit delete until satisfied. If I need to look up past
> informations, google and the 2 mail archives most likely provide me the
> answer. To me, this mailing list, as it is,  provides great customer
service.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Limit topics in email

Charlie T, K3ICH
Same here.  I like it just the way it is now.

73, Charlie k3ICH

>I agree entirely with your comments Slava.
>
> '73.
>
> Brian ........ 2E0BWQ.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On 7 May 2014, at 12:58, Pierfrancesco Caci <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> I disagree wholehartedly. I can easily read this mailing list on any
>> type of client, including my cell phone. I sure don't miss any eye
>> candy, icons, animations or anything else. If a thread doesn't interest
>> me, I hit delete until satisfied. If I need to look up past
>> informations, google and the 2 mail archives most likely provide me the
>> answer. To me, this mailing list, as it is,  provides great customer
>> service.

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Limit topics in email

Phil Hystad-3
I agree with the disagreement.  I have never seen web forum software that is
as easy to read and write and filter as e-mail which has ultimate flexibility.  Eham has a
reasonably OK setup but I still don't like that anywhere close to e-mail.

I delete messages about once a year -- Yes, that is a lot of messages!  But, this
gives my my own local history of data and using the filters on my Mac mail
utility I have never needed anything more to locate useful information.

By the way, my e-mail history is maintained in the Apple iCloud so it is available
on all of my devices (two iMac computers, two iPads, two iPhones, and also
any web accessible computer on the planet).

73, phil, K7PEH

On May 7, 2014, at 4:58 AM, Pierfrancesco Caci <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I disagree wholehartedly. I can easily read this mailing list on any
> type of client, including my cell phone. I sure don't miss any eye
> candy, icons, animations or anything else. If a thread doesn't interest
> me, I hit delete until satisfied. If I need to look up past
> informations, google and the 2 mail archives most likely provide me the
> answer. To me, this mailing list, as it is,  provides great customer service.

>    Slava> There are times (just about all the time, really) when i wish that this list would join the 21 century (just like their radios) and get converted to a FORUM (BB, phpnuke, etc..).
>    Slava> This is so very archaic...
>    Slava> No offense to anyone, the content on here is priceless, goes without saying. But a mailing list???
>

> --
> Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Limit topics in email

I share Don's feelings about forums.

73 de Dennis KD7CAC
Scottsdale, AZ

On May 7, 2014, at 5:04 AM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If this list moves to a forum format, I for one will "bail out" - I hate trying to follow something on a forum.
> I may be in the minority, but I am interested in all the Elecraft products, and I use filters in my email client to sort the list content as I desire at any one particular time (it is not always the same).
> It may be archaic, but it works for me.
>
> If you want it to be more "forum-like" try setting your subscription to 'no mail' and read the list at Nabble.  You can still post, but there is no email sent to you.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 5/7/2014 7:45 AM, Slava Baytalskiy wrote:
>> There are times (just about all the time, really) when i wish that this list would join the 21 century (just like their radios) and get converted to a FORUM (BB, phpnuke, etc..).
>> This is so very archaic...
>> No offense to anyone, the content on here is priceless, goes without saying. But a mailing list???

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Limit topics in email

Stephen Bloom
One thought that I have had is breaking the list into two ..one that is
*directly* related to K3 operations and K3 technical / support issues and a
second that is ...everything else, with very light moderation.  I actually
enjoy the tangents, to me half the fun is "the community" here, but
obviously a lot of folks find that stuff a waste of their time.

73
Steve KL7SB

On May 7, 2014, at 5:04 AM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If this list moves to a forum format, I for one will "bail out" - I hate
trying to follow something on a forum.
> I may be in the minority, but I am interested in all the Elecraft
products, and I use filters in my email client to sort the list content as I
desire at any one particular time (it is not always the same).
> It may be archaic, but it works for me.
>
> If you want it to be more "forum-like" try setting your subscription to
'no mail' and read the list at Nabble.  You can still post, but there is no
email sent to you.

> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 5/7/2014 7:45 AM, Slava Baytalskiy wrote:
>> There are times (just about all the time, really) when i wish that this
list would join the 21 century (just like their radios) and get converted to
a FORUM (BB, phpnuke, etc..).
>> This is so very archaic...
>> No offense to anyone, the content on here is priceless, goes without
saying. But a mailing list???

delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Limit topics in email

Phil Hystad-3
I think the Yahoo groups (or, whatever) are a way of doing this.  The forum/e-mail does not
have to be endorsed by Elecraft for this kind of dialog.  But, I see the justification
and value of Eric moderating the Elecraft list to keep focus on the Elecraft
products and closely related technology.  And, I expect Eric to moderate this particular
topic thread eventually.

73, phil, K7PEH

On 5/7/2014 4:45 AM, Slava Baytalskiy wrote:
> No offense to anyone, the content on here is priceless, goes without saying. But a mailing list???
I'm on several forums that I wish would convert to mailing lists.

At least on a mailing list, the original poster has to subscribe, and
gets the responses.  On a forum, there are too many that post once and
never bother to return.

Forums are newer, but they aren't necessary better.

73 -- Lynn

Message delivered to [hidden email]
12