Listings out of control

Locked 10 messages Options

Listings out of control

John Kountz
At one time, the Elecraft list of 'user' submissions was tenable...but, the
length and level of redundancy makes them unattractive and unmanageable.
Does no one have a texst enema they can administer?
John Kountz, WO1S/T6EE
K3s and P3

Re: Listings out of control

Dave Larson-2
I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my email program.  It is easy to setup
message filters to delete any message subject that contains things I'm
not interested in.  I have a K3 and I'm not interested in any message
subject that contains K2, K1, KX1, and so on.  Those messages and many
other topics are automatically deleted before I see them. This brings
down the message count considerably.

Dave K8AA

On 3/30/2012 4:35 PM, John Kountz wrote:

> At one time, the Elecraft list of 'user' submissions was tenable...but, the
> length and level of redundancy makes them unattractive and unmanageable.
> Does no one have a texst enema they can administer?
> John Kountz, WO1S/T6EE
> K3s and P3

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Re: Listings out of control

Mike Morrow-3
I couldn't figure out what "Listings out of control" was supposed
to mean, not even after reading the text. :-)

> I have a K3 and I'm not interested in any message subject that
> contains K2, K1, KX1, and so on.

How do you handle all the K3-related messages for which neither
the initiator nor the respondents could be bothered to put "K3"
in the subject line?  There have been many many examples of this
recently.  The K3'ers are the worst offenders by far, judging
from the short time (12 years) I've been on this list.

73,
Mike / KK5F

Re: Listings out of control

WA2SI
There are two options:

1. The 'Delete'key

2. Most decent e-mail clients allow the user to set up 'Rules' or some other similarly named control.

The combination of the two controls listed above should do the trick and make things much more... "manageable." There now, no enema required.

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

"...and all the pieces matter."
                  -- Det. Lester Freamon, BPD

Re: Listings out of control

David Gilbert

Nobody is going to have a clue what might be boring to you or not, or
what your attention span might be.  You're the only one who presumably
knows that.  That's why email clients have the ability to set up
filters, and it's worth learning how to use the delete key for those
that sneak through.  It's also why many list sponsors recommend the use
of top posting ... so you can more easily ignore the redundant parts of
messages that some posters are too lazy to edit out.

I get well over 100 emails per day from various lists and it takes me
mere seconds to weed out the junk from the stuff I might be interested in.

By the way, "at one time" Elecraft had fewer customers and this list had
fewer subscribers.

Dave   AB7E

On 3/30/2012 1:35 PM, John Kountz wrote:
> At one time, the Elecraft list of 'user' submissions was tenable...but, the
> length and level of redundancy makes them unattractive and unmanageable.
> Does no one have a texst enema they can administer?
> John Kountz, WO1S/T6EE
> K3s and P3

Re: Listings out of control

kevinr@coho.net
This Reflector was very different in 2001.
     Kevin.  KD5ONS

On 3/30/2012 4:12 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

> Nobody is going to have a clue what might be boring to you or not, or
> what your attention span might be.  You're the only one who presumably
> knows that.  That's why email clients have the ability to set up
> filters, and it's worth learning how to use the delete key for those
> that sneak through.  It's also why many list sponsors recommend the use
> of top posting ... so you can more easily ignore the redundant parts of
> messages that some posters are too lazy to edit out.
>
> I get well over 100 emails per day from various lists and it takes me
> mere seconds to weed out the junk from the stuff I might be interested in.
>
> By the way, "at one time" Elecraft had fewer customers and this list had
> fewer subscribers.
>
> Dave   AB7E

Re: Listings out of control

Yes, list activity has become more diversified as the Elecraft product
line has expanded, and traffic has increased.  Setting up email filters
to sort things into categories of your choosing is quite helpful.  If we
can "self-police" to make it easier for others, then let's please do
that.  Even at this time, I would not like to see this list split into
product specific reflectors, there is too much Elecraft commonality to
do that.

I actually scan all posts to the Elecraft reflector (and the KX3 Yahoo
Group) as well as several other forums.  Thunderbird faithfully sorts
the Elecraft email from the various other things I receive - I simply
filter the subject with "[Elecraft}" and it goes into my Elecraft
folder.  I know that on many days that folder gets 50 to 100 emails, but
going through them and making a quick "delete or read" decision does not
sound too tough to me YMMV.  If you do not use filters to separate the
reflector postings from your other email, I can understand your
frustration.  Most all email clients offer some sort of filtering that
will put your emails into appropriate folders.

Yes, do use top posting.  In the past, that was considered as bad
"netiquette" but I think with the use of phones to read email, that
attitude is going away fast.  Post in-line only when you cannot do it
any other way, and do not bottom post - which requires the reader to
scroll through all the prior information (that he has already read) to
find something that was added - and often finds that nothing was added,
the sender just hit send too quickly.
I do not read email on my phone, but since I scan all posts, I must make
a quick decision to read or delete.  If your added information is not at
the top of the post, I will delete it - there are many others who share
my sentiments (Eric included - I don't know about Wayne).

On 3/30/2012 7:12 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

> Nobody is going to have a clue what might be boring to you or not, or
> what your attention span might be.  You're the only one who presumably
> knows that.  That's why email clients have the ability to set up
> filters, and it's worth learning how to use the delete key for those
> that sneak through.  It's also why many list sponsors recommend the use
> of top posting ... so you can more easily ignore the redundant parts of
> messages that some posters are too lazy to edit out.
>
> I get well over 100 emails per day from various lists and it takes me
> mere seconds to weed out the junk from the stuff I might be interested in.
>
> By the way, "at one time" Elecraft had fewer customers and this list had
> fewer subscribers.

Re: Listings out of control

Jim Brown-10
On 3/30/2012 5:10 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
> Thunderbird faithfully sorts

Yes. I subscribe to 24 email reflectors, and I typically get several
hundred emails per day . Most come to my Thunderbird client, a few go to
my Yahoo account.  Both make it very easy to sort each email into
mailboxes according to any criteria that I choose to set up. I get them
as individual emails, so it's very easy to sort them and to use my
delete key.

There are several good email programs, and I chose Thunderbird several
years ago when my old email software was getting a bit long in the
tooth. :)  I liked the old one a lot, and Thunderbird is even better.
And it's free.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: Listings out of control

Don Wilhelm-4
Jim and all,

Yes, I forgot to add that I have all the reflectors set to individual
emails.  That way I can deal with each email separately.  The digest
mode just makes it more difficult for me, and the nabble threading does
not make sense to me.  I can set it up the way I want with Thunderbird
(most other email clients also provide similar capability, but
Thunderbird is free, and works well with the Lightning plug-in, so I
have my calendar as well as my email all in one place - and compatible
with MS Outlook as well.  Try it, you might like it.
BTW, If you have several networked computers and use the Lightning
plug-in on those computers that will access email, you can also access
common calendar files that reside i\on your network - in addition, you
can use Mozilla Sunbird to access those same files on computers that do
not have the email client loaded.
In other words, the computer at the ha, workbench does not download
email, but it is loaded with Sunbird so I have access to the calendar
file that the XYL and I share.  I do not see similar capability with any
MS calendaring application.

73,
Don W3FPR.

On 3/30/2012 8:57 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On 3/30/2012 5:10 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> Thunderbird faithfully sorts
> Yes. I subscribe to 24 email reflectors, and I typically get several
> hundred emails per day . Most come to my Thunderbird client, a few go to
> my Yahoo account.  Both make it very easy to sort each email into
> mailboxes according to any criteria that I choose to set up. I get them
> as individual emails, so it's very easy to sort them and to use my
> delete key.
>
> There are several good email programs, and I chose Thunderbird several
> years ago when my old email software was getting a bit long in the
> tooth. :)  I liked the old one a lot, and Thunderbird is even better.
> And it's free.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: Listings out of control [Thread Closed]

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Folks - Let's end this thread in the interest of keeping list signal to noise under control.

In general, as per the list guidelines, if you have a complaint or suggestion for the list, please send it to the moderator, not to the list. I'll step in as needed to keep things under control.

73,
Eric
List Modulator and Moderator
www.elecraft.com