Look familiar? Elecraft vs Ten Tec

Locked 13 messages Options

Look familiar? Elecraft vs Ten Tec

crmabbott
Everyone saw this???

    Ten Tec [made in China]  pre-built
Two Band CW QRP Transceiver - 40/20 Meters
http://www.tentec.com/index.php?id=193
Also has a 40/30 meter option......

Original KX1 by Elecraft

Re: Look familiar? Elecraft vs Ten Tec

wayne burdick
Administrator
Hi Chuck,

This was recently reviewed by QST. Since I'm totally biased, I'll
recuse myself from the discussion, but suffice to say there are major
differences between this rig and a KX1 :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Feb 9, 2011, at 10:52 AM, Chuck Mabbott wrote:

> Everyone saw this???
>

>    Ten Tec [made in China]  pre-built
> Two Band CW QRP Transceiver - 40/20 Meters
> http://www.tentec.com/index.php?id=193
> Also has a 40/30 meter option......
>
> Original KX1 by Elecraft

Re: Look familiar? Elecraft vs Ten Tec

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Look familiar? Elecraft vs Ten Tec

Peter, DL2FI
>     Ten Tec [made in China]  pre-built
> Two Band CW QRP Transceiver - 40/20 Meters
> http://www.tentec.com/index.php?id=193
> Also has a 40/30 meter option......

No, not an option. You have to buy two of them: 40/20 plus 40/30 to get
40/30/20 And no fun of building your own rig!

73/2 de Peter, DL2FI

Re: Look familiar? Elecraft vs Ten Tec

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Ron,

>> What does catch my eye is the linear regulated 12V "wall wart" they
>> offer. Like to have one of those for hotel-room portable with my
>> KX1. Been watching for one but all I see nowadays are unregulated
>> supplies, most of them dreaded switchers.

How much current do you need?  This looks like it's made for the KX-1:

<http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PS-1251/12-VDC-500-MA-REGULATED-POWER-SUPPLY//1.html>

      12V @ 500 mA regulated ... $8..50 each

I have a couple around here and they're almost certainly analog -
16 oz not the 2 oz light weight switchers.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 2/9/2011 2:17 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> It sure does, but note it's two bands instead of 4, no built-in ATU, no
> variable bandwidth I.F. filter (and, shoot, not even a built in light to
> read notes by in the field ;-)
>
> Just proves that all pretty faces aren't the same.
>
> What does catch my eye is the linear regulated 12V "wall wart" they offer.
> Like to have one of those for hotel-room portable with my KX1. Been watching
> for one but all I see nowadays are unregulated supplies, most of them
> dreaded switchers.
>
> Ron AC7AC

Steve Ellington
And of course you have all the advantages of a rig made in CHINA.

Steve
N4LQ

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Look familiar? Elecraft vs Ten Tec

David Gilbert

Ahh ... you mean like your cellphone, DVD player, most of your
television, much of your computer, and at least some of the components
in your K3?

The country of origin of any product is not the issue ... the integrity
and competency of the company that made it, the quality and reliability
of the components they used, and the proximity and service policies of
the company that sells it are.  As an example, I'd much more readily
purchase an item manufactured in China and distributed by TenTec than I
would any product made in the USA by MFJ.

Country bashing is myopic and mostly out of place in today's world.  If
we're going to talk about product comparisons, let's at least try to
keep the discussion relevant.

Dave   AB7E

On 2/9/2011 1:02 PM, Steve Ellington wrote:
> And of course you have all the advantages of a rig made in CHINA.
>
> Steve
> N4LQ

Re: Look familiar? Elecraft vs Ten Tec [END of thread]

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Guys,

Let's end this thread now.

Country bashing etc. is way outside of the list guidelines.

73, Eric
Elecraft List Moderator

> Ahh ... you mean like your cellphone, DVD player, most of your
> television, much of your computer, and at least some of the components
> in your K3?
>
> The country of origin of any product is not the issue .

Re: Look familiar? Elecraft vs Ten Tec

Doug Turnbull
The MFJ 259B antenna analyzer is a pretty good piece of equipment and God
Bless them MFJ also sells some useful components.   I wonder if HyGain would
be around at all if not for them.   I am glad that MFJ is with us and feel
they would be sorely missed if they should ever disappear.

             73 Doug EI2CN

Ahh ... you mean like your cellphone, DVD player, most of your
television, much of your computer, and at least some of the components
in your K3?

The country of origin of any product is not the issue ... the integrity
and competency of the company that made it, the quality and reliability
of the components they used, and the proximity and service policies of
the company that sells it are.  As an example, I'd much more readily
purchase an item manufactured in China and distributed by TenTec than I
would any product made in the USA by MFJ.

Country bashing is myopic and mostly out of place in today's world.  If
we're going to talk about product comparisons, let's at least try to
keep the discussion relevant.

Dave   AB7E

On 2/9/2011 1:02 PM, Steve Ellington wrote:
> And of course you have all the advantages of a rig made in CHINA.
>
> Steve
> N4LQ

k6dgw
On 2/9/2011 11:07 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
>
> This was recently reviewed by QST. Since I'm totally biased, I'll
> recuse myself from the discussion, but suffice to say there are major
> differences between this rig and a KX1 :)

Totally biased?  Come on, Wayne!  Way more differences than show in the
photos.  I got a chance to fool with one briefly.  What I noticed:

No continuously variable BW filter
No integral paddle
No ATU
No log light [OK, I admit, not a big thing but I do use it]

The 40/30 "option" is really just another radio covering those two
bands.  So 3 bands, 2 radios, $500.  Somehow we're getting a little far
afield from a "trail radio," especially if I have to drag my Bencher along.

My 40-30-20 KX1, paddle, Li-Poly battery, and ear buds weighs 0.62 lbs
[9.92 oz, 281.23 g].  This is important in the Spartan Sprint and when
you're hiking to some summit [alright, I can't hike anymore but there
was a time when I did].  I wasn't impressed by the weight.

I wasn't impressed that it had a TT label but isn't made by them and
probably wasn't designed by them.  They may discover that "this seemed
like a good idea at the time."

The tuning had a definite "step" feel to me.  Possibly it was configured
for coarse tuning, but it was annoying.  My hearing sucks and I really
like to put the signal into the only narrow "sweet spot" I have left.
It's annoying to have it jump from a little too low to a little too high.

I'll hang onto my KX1 with ATU which will put 3 watts into the window
screen, if I could find one that was conductive [they used to be].  I do
like the linear regulated wall wart, might buy one for when we're on a
road trip, or maybe Elecraft will offer one.

In my book, it's "nolo contendere."

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org

Re: Look familiar? Elecraft vs Ten Tec

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Linear Wall Wart PS

Phil Salas
"What does catch my eye is the linear regulated 12V 'wall wart' they offer.
Like to have one of those for hotel-room portable with my KX1."

Check out the PS-12R1A from Array Solutions.  If it is a linear regulated
wall-wart rated at 12VDC at 1-amp.  I have a couple of these that I use with
some of my accessories as they are RF quiet.  I had some regulated switcher
wall-warts before that were very RF noisy.

Phil - AD5X