Lost tuning range on 40m

Ignacy
Lately ATU in my KX1 lost ability to tune on 40m well. It reduces SWR but not as good as before. 30 and 20m are OK. Is there anything special to look at?
Ignacy

Re: Lost tuning range on 40m

Don Wilhelm-4
Ignacy,

There is nothing actually band sensitive in the KXAT1, other than there
is a unique L and C combination that would be used for any given antenna.
Might I suggest that you look carefully to see what might have changed
with your antenna.  I believe that is the most probable answer.
You might also check the toroids in the KXAT1 - there could be one that
has a poorly tinned lead but worked OK for a while.
You could also verify that all relays operate by operating each relay
using the L0-L3 and C0-C3 along with NT1 and NT2 settings in the ATU
menu - check the relays for continuity across the closed contacts after
operating them.  You will have to lift one leg of L1-L3 to check those
relays for continuity.

Ignacy wrote:
> Lately ATU in my KX1 lost ability to tune on 40m well. It reduces SWR but not
> as good as before. 30 and 20m are OK. Is there anything special to look at?
> Ignacy

Re: Lost tuning range on 40m

N5GE
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 08:23:45 -0700 (PDT), Ignacy <[hidden email]>
wrote:

Did you take a look at your antenna to see if the connections are
still OK?

What type of antenna are you using on 40m?

Tom Childers
N5GE Antenna
4507 Branchview Drive
Arlington, TX 76017
[hidden email]
http://www.n5ge.com

>Lately ATU in my KX1 lost ability to tune on 40m well. It reduces SWR but not
>as good as before. 30 and 20m are OK. Is there anything special to look at?
>Ignacy

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: Lost tuning range on 40m

Ignacy
Not sure I responded.

For antenna I use two wires, one vertical up to 25 ft, and one horizontal also up to 25 ft.  The wires are adjusted if there is high SWR. I could get good SWR with this setup on 40m but not anymore. Nor problem with 30 or 20m.
Ignacy