Low Frequency Modulation of Side Tone.

Jeff Burns-3
I just noticed that on 80 and 17m the side tone in my K2 has a low frequency
modulation superimposed over the normal frequency. When I discovered this I
was trying to call a Panama station on 80m. I cranked the power up to 100w
and started my call. The rig sounded like it was going nuts. It even locked
into a repeating string of dits or das. I do not remember which. I turned
the rig off to get it to stop. I suspect the repeating transmission is
unrelated to the side tone problem because I found that my computer keying
cable was part way out of the jack. It must have been bad timing that it
came out just as I was calling.

The amplitude of the modulation on the side tone increases with power
output, and is only noticeable at ~60 to 100 w. On 80m if I key down for
several seconds the modulation decreases. It sounds like a capacitor
charging. On 17m, the sound is much louder and does not decrease with time.

The output signal sounds fine in another receiver.

I tested using a dummy load. I also turned off my power supply and computer
monitor, and used a battery to power the K2. Neither helped.

I built the KPA100 this last spring, and have not noticed this before.
However, I have been running mostly QRP so I do not know when this problem
showed up. KPA100 is located in an EC2 with the KAT2. The connecting cable
is 32 inches long.

What should I look for to fix this?

Jeff Burns

AD9T

RE: Low Frequency Modulation of Side Tone.

Jeff Burns-3
Problem found. I added a fixed audio out port to the K2. Disconnecting the
wire to the sound card stopped the modulation.  An audio transformer in line
also eliminated the problem.

Jeff Burns
AD9T

Re: Low Frequency Modulation of Side Tone.

G3VVT

[hidden email] writes:

Problem  found. I added a fixed audio out port to the K2. Disconnecting the
wire to  the sound card stopped the modulation.  An audio transformer in  line
also eliminated the problem.

A similar solution was of value in clearing up my problems in using
Spectrogram.

I was getting spikes on the Spectrogram display at 50Hz (our power freq)  and
every 100Hz from 150Hz upwards. This was believed to be due to my PC having
a power line filter installed to clear hash from the PC switch mode PSU and
this left the PC case floating above ground at RF. Series  capacitors had no
effect, where a transformer placed in the audio path  completely cured the
problem.

Used a miniature audio transistor interstage transformer for the purpose
with the higher impedance side to the PC sound card. Would guess a transistor
output transformer with the usual 1.2K to 4 ohms windings may have been  even
more suitable, but did not have one in the junk box. The only proviso in  going
down this path is to use a transformer that has a response well below  300Hz
and 50 Hz if possible to ensure correct placement point of the BFO is  seen.

A totally different problem, though in the end with the same  solution.

Bob, G3VVT

Re: Low Frequency Modulation of Side Tone.

Jeff and all,

For a source of decent audio transformers for low power applications like
that, look at defunct computer modem cards.  I have salvaged transformers
from them for computer to audio equipment isolation for some time now -
small and quite inexpensive (i.e. 'cheap', 'free', etc.)  Of course the more
sophistocated way of handling such problems is with optoisolators, but they
are not usually free, and they require a voltage source - transformers
require no voltage.

> Problem found. I added a fixed audio out port to the K2. Disconnecting the
> wire to the sound card stopped the modulation.  An audio transformer in
> line
> also eliminated the problem.
>
> Jeff Burns
> AD9T

KXB30: Devil's in the Details

john_k7fd

I'm happy to report KX1 #959 is now sporting options KXB30 and KXAT1...and
all is working as one seamless unit!

I must admit that the dinky KXB30 is a deceiving little board! By the time
you route the wires down through the main KX1, you've earned your stripes on
this puppy. The detail work required isn't difficult but if you've got all
thumbs, good luck!

One note; the rubber pads for the 30 meter module had me scratching my head.
My soldered leads were pretty darn 'flush' but certainly not flat or smooth
enough to have those pads adhere worth a hoot. I ended up cutting the rubber
pads into slimmer strips that were then strategically placed in between
solder points so as to get a nice flat bond to the pcb and still offer
rubber bumper protection.

Second note: the manual states that one of the 30 meter alignment trimmers
may be 'broad'; in my case, broad meant finding 'no' peak on the one nearest
the bandwidth pot. I used my K2 as a reference signal and could not
determine any peak what so ever. Tomorrow when I can hear WWV, I'll try to
peak it again. The other 30m trimmer peaked nicely.

As far as the KXAT1, the optional power calibration will be performed
tomorrow as well. Can't believe the P6.3 it's saying for output...this is
with pots R1 and R2 set to 60% as per errata sheet...

All in all, a delightful trip down kit building lane...with a few detours
along the way!

73 John K7FD

Re: Low Frequency Modulation of Side Tone.

Bill Coleman-2

On Jan 23, 2005, at 10:30 PM, W3FPR - Don Wilhelm wrote:

> For a source of decent audio transformers for low power applications
> like that, look at defunct computer modem cards.  I have salvaged
> transformers from them for computer to audio equipment isolation for
> some time now - small and quite inexpensive (i.e. 'cheap', 'free',
> etc.)

I'll second this. In fact, if you can find an older Hayes modem, like
one of the 2400 bps full-sized modems -- the transformers are very high
quality. They are physically large, about  3cm on a side and 1cm high
(for through-hole board mounting). Hayes persisted in using these large
transformers for years because they provided a low-distortion coupling
to the phone line.

Some of the teeny 1cm cube transformers you find in cheap modems aren't
nearly as nice, but will work as well.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [hidden email]
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901