- Manuals (was KX3 and KPA500)

Lu Romero - W4LT
A lot of Equipment manufacturers I work with have stopped
shipping printed manuals.  You get a printed "Quick Start"
or "installation guide" with the product and either a DVD/CD
ROM with the manual in PDF or a website to download and
print the latest iteration of the manual in PDF.

Printed manuals are both expensive and hard to keep current.
There are many benefits to paper manuals, but also many
benefits to "soft" manuals.  There are mutual benefits to
both the manufacturer and the customer, and yes, detractions
as well. One video server device that I use has the manual
included in the product's hard drive as a web page which
they update remotely and automatically via the internet as
needed.  Anywhere you use the product, the manual is as
close as the client computer's browser. When (not *IF*,
*WHEN*!) the server goes down, though, how do you reference
the manual if you didnt print it or move it to your
Ipad/Tablet?

Im still not "paperless" in manuals and technical reference
documents; I like to have a printed version around. Its an
old habit. But Im a dying breed. More and more, I see IPads
or Tablets being used for this purpose, a handheld
"reference library" of sorts.  Its quite efficient with text
search functions... that is, until you need the manual at a
remote site when the power is out and the battery in the
device runs down.

The tech in the gear we use today is more and more software
based.  It changes so quickly and so often, usually by the
time the product ships, the manual is several iterations
old.  Its a sign of the times. I have been doing a lot of
thinking about this issue at work recently.

So, Im wondering, how upset would us Elecraft customers be
if paper manuals were not included with the product? When
purchasing the product, you would have to either download
the manual from the web and print it if you wanted a printed
copy or get it on Optical Media and print it from there
Just wondering what everybody thinks about these scenarios.
Is it blasphemy?  Is it progress?

Lu - W4LT
K3/P3/K1

------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 08:51:48 -0400
From: Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 and KPA500
To: [hidden email]

Yes, updating of on-line pdf manuals is easy and trivial,
but what does
Elecraft do when 100 manuals have been printed and have to
be updated -
open them and pencil in the changes?  I think not - Errata
sheets are
the only practical method.

On 6/10/2012 10:34 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 6/10/2012 6:34 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> This is a classic example of the results and frustration
caused by
>> ignoring the Errata Sheet.
> Yes, BUT -- with modern desktop publishing, it is
trivially easy for a
> decent technical writer to keep a pdf up to date. I have
several dozen
> tutorials online as pdf files, and I can edit the source
file, save it
> as a pdf, and upload it to my website in an hour.  If I
can do that,
> Elecraft should be able to do that.  It's equally easy for
that pdf to
> include a running list of changes and additions as an
appendix.

> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: - Manuals (was KX3 and KPA500)

Arthur Burke
N1MM has taken the approach that *they* are not going to be responsible for
you having a paper copy. But they do have a set of instructions available
for you to "print" to a .pdf format so you can have a "local" copy on your
PC or your iPAD.

I find that works extremely well and it's a lot easier to remain current -
and it was already too much of a PITA to print the manual in a standard,
printed document.

Personally, I find the manual availability in .pdf format from Elecraft to
be a very workable solution.

Art - N4PJ

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Lu Romero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> sheets are
> the only practical method.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 6/10/2012 10:34 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> > On 6/10/2012 6:34 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
> >> This is a classic example of the results and frustration
> caused by
> >> ignoring the Errata Sheet.
> > Yes, BUT -- with modern desktop publishing, it is
> trivially easy for a
> > decent technical writer to keep a pdf up to date. I have
> several dozen
> > tutorials online as pdf files, and I can edit the source
> file, save it
> > as a pdf, and upload it to my website in an hour.  If I
> can do that,
> > Elecraft should be able to do that.  It's equally easy for
> that pdf to
> > include a running list of changes and additions as an

ke9uw
Well...if you buy a computer program, you pretty much would have a computer. It seems possible that some radio buyers would not.

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 11, 2012, at 2:22 PM, "Arthur Burke" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> Elecraft do when 100 manuals have been printed and have to
>> be updated -
>> open them and pencil in the changes?  I think not - Errata
>> sheets are
>> the only practical method.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR

>> caused by
>>> Yes, BUT -- with modern desktop publishing, it is
>> trivially easy for a
>>> decent technical writer to keep a pdf up to date. I have
>> several dozen
>>> tutorials online as pdf files, and I can edit the source
>> file, save it
>>> as a pdf, and upload it to my website in an hour.  If I
>> can do that,
>>> Elecraft should be able to do that.  It's equally easy for
>> that pdf to
>>> include a running list of changes and additions as an

Chuck, KE9UW

Re: - Manuals (was KX3 and KPA500)

Nr4c
I like having a printed manual that actually matches my radio hardware.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Droid

...bill nr4c

> [...]

>> Elecraft do when 100 manuals have been printed and have to
>> be updated -
>> open them and pencil in the changes?  I think not - Errata
>> sheets are
>> the only practical method.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR

>> caused by
>>> Yes, BUT -- with modern desktop publishing, it is
>> trivially easy for a
>>> decent technical writer to keep a pdf up to date. I have
>> several dozen
>>> tutorials online as pdf files, and I can edit the source
>> file, save it
>>> as a pdf, and upload it to my website in an hour.  If I
>> can do that,
>>> Elecraft should be able to do that.  It's equally easy for
>> that pdf to
>>> include a running list of changes and additions as an

Bob Nielsen-2
As long as Elecraft continues to make kits (and I certainly hope they do), printed manuals will be essential.  I just can't see clicking on a box with my mouse to indicate that I have completed a step.  Printing a 100+ page pdf file isn't very practical either.

73, Bob N7XY

On Jun 11, 2012, at 1:04 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> AFAIK, Elecraft continues to recognize that a significant number of Hams do
> not have a computer or choose not to use one for their hobby. Of course none
> of those Hams are represented here or on any e-mail lists, but that does not
> mean they don't exist, Hi!
>
> 73, Ron AC7AC

_____
N7XY DX Cluster Node - telnet to n7xy.net, port 7300

Re: - Manuals (was KX3 and KPA500)

Arthur Burke
That's almost too funny to contemplate! No computer - no email, no rig
control, no logging program - I would probably never know the guy existed!
LOL!

Art - N4PJ

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM, hawley, charles j jr <[hidden email]
> [...]

> >> if paper manuals were not included with the product? When
> >> purchasing the product, you would have to either download
> >> the manual from the web and print it if you wanted a printed
> >> copy or get it on Optical Media and print it from there
> >> Just wondering what everybody thinks about these scenarios.
> >> Is it blasphemy?  Is it progress?
> >>
> >> Lu - W4LT
> >> K3/P3/K1
> >>
> >> ------------------------
> >>

> >> Message: 5
> >> Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 08:51:48 -0400
> >> From: Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
> >> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 and KPA500
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >>
> >> Yes, updating of on-line pdf manuals is easy and trivial,
> >> but what does
> >> Elecraft do when 100 manuals have been printed and have to
> >> be updated -
> >> open them and pencil in the changes?  I think not - Errata

In this day and age, I wonder how large a subset is represented by those
who are amateur radio operators and *don't* have a computer?

I've travelled in numerous parts of the world. In many cases, the U.S. is
looked upon as the greatest place on earth - but, from a technology
perspective, many countries offer significantly greater bandwidth "across
the board" than we do here in the U.S.

A friend of mine who lives in South Africa often crosses the border in
Mozambique. Long-distance back to South Africa is prohibitively expensive,
but SMS (i.e., text messaging) is free. The data is "piggy-backed" on many
transmissions. Try convincing AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc., that they could
do that here.

In numerous contries around the world, you can already use your cell phone
to make purchases from vending machines. Why aren't we doing that in the
U.S.?

My first personal experience with the internet was back in the late 80s -
about all that was available to the average user was FTP. AT the time I had
a 1200 baud modem and thought it was hot stuff.

Now, with reasonable broadband (even in a small town like mine) 24/7
connectivity would seem both affordable and prevalent. However, I also
remember seeing a statistic recently that indicated more than 40% of all
internet users (in the U.S.)accessed the web from somewhere other than
their own home!

After I win the lottery, I'm going to buy an Elecraft K3/0 and a remote-rig
setup - I already have 6 computers and two iPADs!

> [...]

> >> if paper manuals were not included with the product? When
> >> purchasing the product, you would have to either download
> >> the manual from the web and print it if you wanted a printed
> >> copy or get it on Optical Media and print it from there
> >> Just wondering what everybody thinks about these scenarios.
> >> Is it blasphemy?  Is it progress?
> >>
> >> Lu - W4LT
> >> K3/P3/K1
> >>
> >> ------------------------
> >>

> >> Message: 5
> >> Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 08:51:48 -0400
> >> From: Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
> >> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 and KPA500
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >>
> >> Yes, updating of on-line pdf manuals is easy and trivial,
> >> but what does
> >> Elecraft do when 100 manuals have been printed and have to
> >> be updated -
> >> open them and pencil in the changes?  I think not - Errata

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Let's end this thread for now in the interest of reducing list volume
overload and thread drift.

Note: We will be continuing to ship products with printed manuals for
the foreseeable future.

73,

Eric
List moderator
---
www.elecraft.com

On 6/11/2012 2:55 PM, Arthur Burke wrote:
> In this day and age, I wonder how large a subset is represented by those
> who are amateur radio operators and *don't* have a computer?

Re: - Manuals (was KX3 and KPA500)

Jim Low man
I like that the manuals for the K1 and K2 are online, for the reasons
that were stated.  I assume that this is true for the K3, but I'm new
to it, but since the KX3 manual is also out there in PDF, it's a pretty
sure bet.

The only thing that I need to do is to copy them to my Tablet; they
already reside on my main computer.

While very attractive, well-done and professional, the K1/K2/K3
manuals are large.  Being spiral-bound does help with the desk
space.

No, I wouldn't mind at all if Elecraft did away with the printed
version of the *user's* manual.  It is still handy to have the printed
assembly manual if one buys the equipment as a kit, although the
relevant pages could be printed so that each step of the assembly
could be checked off.

It's been some years since commercially-available computer
software has been packed with printed manuals.  Much easier to
include the manual on a CD and have the latest version posted to
the manufacturer's website.  Anyone remember the weight of
the numerous manuals that accompanied something like the
Microsoft C compiler?

I'm going more and more paperless, with a Kindle and a Kindle,
Nook and generic e-reader for my Tablet.  Now that an electronic
version of QST and CQ Magazines are available, that will be less
paper to accumulate (and lose!) around the house.

73 de Jim - AD6CW

Re: - Manuals (was KX3 and KPA500)

Jim Low man
Then make the manual an optional item, at extra cost,
if the majority say that they don't need a printed copy.

73 de Jim - AD6CW