Mic gain with Heil HC elements

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
I'm just now (finally!) in the process of learning, configuring, and adjusting my new K3 (S/N 888). I have a Heil Pro-Set with the standard dynamic HC-5 mic element, which is known to be kind of low in output compared to most other dynamic mics. It does work beautifully and the audio reports have been excellent -- but to get any ALC bars at all, I have to crank the mic input up to 60 (full scale). This is not a problem, except that there is no wiggle-room. It also makes me worry about there not being enough VOX gain, which I haven't gotten to yet in my setup tasks. Is this level of mic gain typical of what is required with the Heil HC-5 element?

Bill W5WVO

Re: Mic gain with Heil HC elements

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Bill,

Do you have the mic menu parameter set to FP-H for higher mic gain? We
have two ranges, FP-L for the MH2 and many mics and FP-H for mics like
the Heil HC4/5 that are -8 dB lower in signal than standard.

73, Eric  WA6HHQ

Bill W5WVO wrote:
> I'm just now (finally!) in the process of learning, configuring, and adjusting my new K3 (S/N 888). I have a Heil Pro-Set with the standard dynamic HC-5 mic element, which is known to be kind of low in output compared to most other dynamic mics. It does work beautifully and the audio reports have been excellent -- but to get any ALC bars at all, I have to crank the mic input up to 60 (full scale). This is not a problem, except that there is no wiggle-room. It also makes me worry about there not being enough VOX gain, which I haven't gotten to yet in my setup tasks. Is this level of mic gain typical of what is required with the Heil HC-5 element?
>
> Bill W5WVO

Re: Mic gain with Heil HC elements

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
This question has been answered. Dumb newbie mistake, didn't set config to
rP.H by tapping the "1" button.

Bill W5WVO