Microphones - Yaesu MH-31

Steve KC8QVO
I have a spare Yaesu MH-31 from my FT-857D that has never been used. So I figured I would implement it with the KX3.

There is very little audio coming out of the rig, the ALC will not budge on max audio and compression unless I whistle in to the mic where it will hit about 5 tick marks. I can hear audio when I turn the monitor gain up or listen on another rig, but it is not strong.

The cable I have with the mic is a cut off end of a CAT5 cable, about 5' long. The RJ-45 is used on the mic end and the wires are soldered to a 4-circuit TRRS 3.5mm plug on the rig end.

I tried changing the mic bias as per the manual as well as the switch on the back of the mic (equalizer of sorts I believe).

Are there any more tricks? I do not believe the mic needs any power, but I could be wrong.

Steve, KC8QVO

Re: Microphones - Yaesu MH-31

Barry N1EU
Steve KC8QVO wrote
 I do not believe the mic needs any power, but I could be wrong.
When connected to the FT-8x7 radios, one of the wires carries +5V but the mic element itself does not use it.

I use an MH-31 coupled with a DYC-8x7 processor/preamp dongle  (http://www.box73.de/product_info.php?products_id=945).  I suspect the output is significantly higher than with the MH-31 alone.  I'm hopeful that it will be usable with the KX-3.

73,
Barry N1EU

Re: Microphones - Yaesu MH-31

Barry N1EU
Steve KC8QVO wrote
 I do not believe the mic needs any power, but I could be wrong.
When connected to the FT-8x7 radios, one of the wires carries +5V but the mic element itself does not use it.

I use an MH-31 coupled with a DYC-8x7 processor/preamp dongle  (http://www.box73.de/product_info.php?products_id=945).  I suspect the output is significantly higher than with the MH-31 alone.  I'm hopeful that it will be usable with the KX-3.

73,
Barry N1EU

Re: Microphones - Yaesu MH-31

Steve,

The MH31 mic is a dynamic type and does not need bias.
I suspect that you do not have the correct wires connected.  Take a look
at the wiring for that microphone at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rg4wpw/mh31a.html

Pin 4 goes to the tip
Pin 5 goes to the shell
Pin 3 goes to Ring 1
Pin 2 goes to Ring 2

Look at the diagram on G4WPW's mic page to be sure you count in the
right direction on the RJ-45.  It is left to right as you look into the
socket (opposite if you look at the end of the plug).

On 7/24/2012 7:06 AM, Steve KC8QVO wrote:

> I have a spare Yaesu MH-31 from my FT-857D that has never been used. So I
> figured I would implement it with the KX3.
>
> There is very little audio coming out of the rig, the ALC will not budge on
> max audio and compression unless I whistle in to the mic where it will hit
> about 5 tick marks. I can hear audio when I turn the monitor gain up or
> listen on another rig, but it is not strong.
>
> The cable I have with the mic is a cut off end of a CAT5 cable, about 5'
> long. The RJ-45 is used on the mic end and the wires are soldered to a
> 4-circuit TRRS 3.5mm plug on the rig end.

Re: Microphones - Yaesu MH-31

Steve KC8QVO
Don Wilhelm-4 wrote
Pin 4 goes to the tip
Pin 5 goes to the shell
Pin 3 goes to Ring 1
Pin 2 goes to Ring 2
Don,

Your numbering was backwards from what I used, but I translated the numbers from the other direction (made 8 = 1, 1 = 8, and the others in between to match) and got the same pin designations and wire colors. However, I took (your numbers) pin 2 and pin 5 and grounded them to the shell together (pin 2 shows as mic ground in the schematics so I figured I'd ground it to the regular ground also). After looking over your numbers I moved the regular ground (your pin 2) to ring 2. This gave me the same results as before.

If I crank the power up I can get some deflection in the power meter, but I can't get the ALC meter to budge on max mic gain and max compression.

I just tested the output with a pair of headphones on. I took the compression off (0) and as I increased it the audio volume from the monitor circuit got louder.

Just out of curiosity - what are some others using for microphones and what settings are you finding work for those microphones?

My experience with other rigs is that if the mic gain is too high the audio distorts, likewise if the compression is too high it distorts. Here I have both gain and compression max'ed out and seemingly not getting enough. That doesn't make much sense to me, but I know the KX3 is a different rig. Is that perhaps a change that can be made in software? Or am I at the limits of the hardware?

Steve, KC8QVO

Re: Microphones - Yaesu MH-31

Don Wilhelm-4
Steve,

The only thing I can say is that there is more than enough audio drive
with my MH3 microphone.
Does your MH-31 work with plenty of audio on your FT-817 or FT-857?

My numbering scheme was consistent with a left to right convention
looking into the jack opening (like the diagram in the FT-817 manual.
If you were looking at the end of the plug, the numbers would be reversed.

On 7/26/2012 10:58 PM, Steve KC8QVO wrote:

> Don Wilhelm-4 wrote
>> Pin 4 goes to the tip
>> Pin 5 goes to the shell
>> Pin 3 goes to Ring 1
>> Pin 2 goes to Ring 2
>>
> Don,
>
> Your numbering was backwards from what I used, but I translated the numbers
> from the other direction (made 8 = 1, 1 = 8, and the others in between to
> match) and got the same pin designations and wire colors. However, I took
> (your numbers) pin 2 and pin 5 and grounded them to the shell together (pin
> 2 shows as mic ground in the schematics so I figured I'd ground it to the
> regular ground also). After looking over your numbers I moved the regular
> ground (your pin 2) to ring 2. This gave me the same results as before.
>
> If I crank the power up I can get some deflection in the power meter, but I
> can't get the ALC meter to budge on max mic gain and max compression.
>
> I just tested the output with a pair of headphones on. I took the
> compression off (0) and as I increased it the audio volume from the monitor
> circuit got louder.
>
> Just out of curiosity - what are some others using for microphones and what
> settings are you finding work for those microphones?
>
> My experience with other rigs is that if the mic gain is too high the audio
> distorts, likewise if the compression is too high it distorts. Here I have
> both gain and compression max'ed out and seemingly not getting enough. That
> doesn't make much sense to me, but I know the KX3 is a different rig. Is
> that perhaps a change that can be made in software? Or am I at the limits of
> the hardware?
>
> Steve, KC8QVO

Re: Microphones - Yaesu MH-31

Steve KC8QVO
I got a buddy of mine to get on 6m this evening to try out the mic on SSB. He said I sounded just fine. I did not adjust any settings, I had it on full mic gain and compression the whole time. I was able to get 10-12 watts out (off the meter on the rig, didn't hook it to an external meter/monitor) but still no ALC deflection. Oh well. As long as I can be heard and don't sound distorted I guess I am in good shape.

Steve, KC8QVO