Mobile Antenna for KX1

Ci Jones
Any suggestions for antennas to use for a KX1 from a vehicle? Any
experiences folks have would be helpful...72, Ci

Ci  Jones
WU7R
FISTS 10789
NAQCC 306

Re: Mobile Antenna for KX1

wayne burdick
Administrator

On Mar 3, 2005, at 9:59 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Any suggestions for antennas to use for a KX1 from a vehicle? Any
> experiences folks have would be helpful...72, Ci

Hi Ci,

Operating at 4 watts with a short antenna is a challenge (and "loads"
o' fun, pun intended). You'll want to use the most efficient antenna
that will fit on your vehicle. The longer the better. I've had
excellent results with QRP using an 8' ham-stick on 40-10 meters. This
is mostly due to the length. The loading coil is distributed over about
half the antenna's length, too, an improvement over a small coil at the
base.

With all such antennas you have to switch elements to change bands. A
long whip with a large motorized coil is the best way to go if you want
to avoid this hassle. Or, you can put an ATU like our new T1 at the
base of the whip.

You may also be able to tune the antenna on multiple bands with an
in-the-rig ATU, such as the KXAT1. Efficiency will probably be worse
the farther you go from the whip's resonant band.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Mobile Antenna for KX1

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Ci,

For me, the KX1 is about fun and spontaneity.  I don't have a Texas
Bugcatcher on my car, but I want to be ready to operate when I have 20
minutes or so.  Here are two setups I use:

1. I keep a few continuously-loaded stick antennas (both small sized
Lakeview Hamstick and bigger sized ATX/Iron Horse) stored unotrusively
in the back of my Subaru Outback.  I mount them on a quad-mag on top of
the car and run coax through the sunroof.  I use the WB6ZQZ balun to
feed the low-impedance load to make it easier on the tuner and lower
line losses (LMR-100).

You can drive with the small Hamsticks, but not big the ones, which I
use when parked.  At Christmas, I worked OH9SCL with my KX1 on 20m.
Google for WA5ZNU OH9SCL for pictures.

2. For my Miata, I used Wayne's 16ft Teflon coated wire suggestion, but
run some RG/58 out the car window to Alan's Balun to the 16ft wire.  It
doesn't work mobile, but in a small convertible it is hard to find a
place to put an antenna and with a manual transmission it is hard to
operate CW and shift. A couple of weeks ago I worked R1ANF with this
rig.  Google for WA5ZNU R1ANF for pictures.

Leigh / WA5ZNU

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:00 am, [hidden email] wrote:
> Any suggestions for antennas to use for a KX1 from a vehicle?

RE: Re: Mobile Antenna for KX1

roncasa
I use any well made mono bander. I keep extras in the trunk as I don't mind
changing them when changing bands. This eliminates the need for tuner, and
costs much less overall. (20 dollars each for two or three bands).

Make sure (goes without saying) you have a good ground to the chassis as the
car is the "other half" of the antenna.

Have fun!

Ron
Wb1hga

 [hidden email] wrote:
Any suggestions for antennas to use for a KX1 from a vehicle? Any
experiences folks have would be helpful...72, Ci

Re: Re: Mobile Antenna for KX1

Larry Cahoon
You can use the Hustler spider attachment and put up to three coils on the
same antenna - I've seen it done with as many as five bands covered.

General rule is the higher you can get the coil the better. The down side
is the higher the coil also put the weight up high and you may need to guy
the antenna. I usually run two coils on one antenna (40 and 20) on major
trips and always guy the antenna.

73 de Larry..........WD3P in MD
http://www.wd3p.net/

At 10:19 AM 3/3/2005 -0800, wayne burdick wrote:

>On Mar 3, 2005, at 9:59 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>>Any suggestions for antennas to use for a KX1 from a vehicle? Any
>>experiences folks have would be helpful...72, Ci
>

>Hi Ci,
>
>Operating at 4 watts with a short antenna is a challenge (and "loads" o'
>fun, pun intended). You'll want to use the most efficient antenna that
>will fit on your vehicle. The longer the better. I've had excellent
>results with QRP using an 8' ham-stick on 40-10 meters. This is mostly due
>to the length. The loading coil is distributed over about half the
>antenna's length, too, an improvement over a small coil at the base.
>
>With all such antennas you have to switch elements to change bands. A long
>whip with a large motorized coil is the best way to go if you want to
>avoid this hassle. Or, you can put an ATU like our new T1 at the base of
>the whip.
>
>You may also be able to tune the antenna on multiple bands with an
>in-the-rig ATU, such as the KXAT1. Efficiency will probably be worse the
>farther you go from the whip's resonant band.
>
>73,
>Wayne
>N6KR
>

>---
>
>http://www.elecraft.com

>Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Mobile Antenna for KX1

w4gns

I use a Hi-Q antenna which works great and even run SSB at 5 watts and made
lots of contacts,I use the K1/K2 and the KX1 while mobile and have no
problems making CW or SSB contacts,The Hi-Q is good for 80 -10 meters,,The
pitfall for the antenna is it will cost more than the KX1,To keep it simple
,most any anteena of any price range will work IF,you give it a GOOD ground
to the frameof your car,truck,good means at least one run of 1 inch ground
braid to the FRAME.I run mobile 95% of time so if you want some good links
on the web email me directly and I can send you links to all or more than
you want to know about mobile operation. 73s de Gary W4GNS
> Any suggestions for antennas to use for a KX1 from a vehicle? Any
> experiences folks have would be helpful...72, Ci
>
> Ci  Jones
> WU7R
>> Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.