My K2 isn't quite right yet

Web Williams
I also purchased the SSB module to go with my K2. Everything
seemed to set up correctly. It made all the right sounds, all the
right numbers show up on the display, etc. It decodes SSB signals
fine. The problem I'm having is that when I key the microphone,
I get full-power carrier on my external wattmeter. CW works fine.
I'm using a Yaesu MH-31 hand microphone, and wired the
internal jumpers on the front panel board per the manual. Anyone
have any idea what may be going on or what to look for? This is
the basic 10-watt K2 with only the SSB module added.

It will be a few days before I get to look at it- we're leaving town
tomorrow for 3 days.

Thanks, -Web Williams in Myrtle Beach, SC

--
Echolink (ek-O lingk) n. 1. Another form of AOL chatroom.
2. A means to circumvent amateur radio licensing requirements

RE: My K2 isn't quite right yet

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Web wrote:

I also purchased the SSB module to go with my K2. Everything seemed to set
up correctly. It made all the right sounds, all the right numbers show up on
the display, etc. It decodes SSB signals fine. The problem I'm having is
that when I key the microphone, I get full-power carrier on my external
wattmeter. CW works fine.
-----------------------

Sounds like the carrier balance adjustment is off, Web. Did that procedure
go okay? Did you get a null in the carrier output?

Ron AC7AC

Re: My K2 isn't quite right yet

Brian Mury-3
On Tue, 2004-07-12 at 01:00 -0500, Web Williams wrote:
> I also purchased the SSB module to go with my K2. Everything
> seemed to set up correctly. It made all the right sounds, all the
> right numbers show up on the display, etc. It decodes SSB signals
> fine. The problem I'm having is that when I key the microphone,
> I get full-power carrier on my external wattmeter. CW works fine.
> I'm using a Yaesu MH-31 hand microphone, and wired the
> internal jumpers on the front panel board per the manual. Anyone
> have any idea what may be going on or what to look for? This is
> the basic 10-watt K2 with only the SSB module added.

When you install the KSB2 in the K2, there is a capacitor and two
jumpers that need to be removed. Did you skip that step? It's easy to
miss it in the excitement of installing a new option. I did, and I had
the same symptoms.

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR

Re: My K2 isn't quite right yet

Vic K2VCO
Web Williams wrote:

> The problem I'm having is that when I key the microphone,
> I get full-power carrier on my external wattmeter. CW works fine.

There's a capacitor you are supposed to remove on the RF board when you install
the SSB board.  Did you remove it?

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco