N1MM

Julius Fazekas n2wn
I've used the N1MM software with the K2 and it
performed very well for the ARRL CW DX Test. It's
continually improved and with expansive documentation.
The price is excellent as well.

Julius
N2WN

Julius Fazekas
N2WN

Tennessee Contest Group
http://www.k4ro.net/tcg/index.html

Tennessee QSO Party
http://www.tnqp.org/

Elecraft K2        #4455
Elecraft K3/100 #366
Elecraft K3/100

Re: N1MM

n6wg
Hi Julius
I'm in the process of setting up N1MM and my K2.  So far I have
serial communications working just fine, but I can't get keying out of
the LPT1 port yet.

What settings have you found that affect this?

Thanks and 73
Bob N6WG

Re: N1MM

Don Nesbitt
Hi Bob & all  - I've been using N1MM Logger with my K2 for a long time with
good results.

Particulars are: a P1 233 mhz 80 meg ram Win 98 SE old IBM laptop with a
"real" RS232 port and using N1MM Logger V 3.221.  I have not used the LPT
port for keying but run control and keying from the single serial port.  I
have not tried Logger Version 4.0. xxx on this machine.  More on that later.
When running the program I generally keep all other resources on the CPU to
a minimum and have never had a problem with speed, etc.

For keying, I use a simple one transistor interface built into an RS232 plug
with two (2) diodes on the keyline in order to use the "External Keying
Auto-Detect" feature of the K2 as shown in Figure 8-1 on page 92 of my K2
(serial #2028) manual.  This works like a champ!  You might want to try the
two diode trick when using the parallel port.

At the computer, I have a regular RS232 splitter (getting harder and harder
to fine these days!) and put my "keyer" on one of the splits and my K2
"special" control cable on the other.

If you look at the latest version of the Help manual, you will find some
information there that I wrote for using filter selection codes with the K2.

RE: Logger Version 4.0.xxx - I am running version 4.0.113 on another machine
with another rig and have not tried it with the K2.  The "other" machine is
a P4 2.4 g 512 meg ram Win XP Home laptop without any physical RS232 ports -
only USB.  I'm using this one with an Icom 756 Pro II.  The results here are
mixed.  Rig control for the 756 Pro II seems pretty flaky on my system with
some of the operations either not working at all or working intermittently
and frequently causing me to either shut down the rig and restart or do the
same with the program or both!  Tom is apparently working on actually making
keying via a serial port converter (USB to RS232) a possibility with version
4.  Keying via the parallel port apparently works with version 4.0.xxx
(although I never used it in V3 apparently it works very well) but if you
are using an XP machine (with either V3 or V4) you will need to download and
install a parallel port program that will support the LPT selection.  As I
recall, either dlportio.zip or port95nt.exe will do the job and information
is available on the web site.  I'm still hoping that eventually they will
get the keying going through the same USB to RS232 converter.  At some point
I may give LPT keying a try.  There has been lots of information on using it
on the group reflector.  Looks simple enough.

It is a very impressive program! Tom and the guys (and gals?) that work with
him on coding the various modules are very talented.  I'm still amazed that
the program is free!  73 es gud dx  --don n4hh K2/100 #2028 KAT100, etc, etc

> I'm in the process of setting up N1MM and my K2.  So far I have
> serial communications working just fine, but I can't get keying out of
> the LPT1 port yet.
>
> What settings have you found that affect this?
>
> Thanks and 73
> Bob N6WG

---

Re: N1MM

Don Nesbitt
Hello Bob. I'm also using a wireless connection with a card in my old IBM
380ED and like yours, it works quite well.  You didn't say what version of
Logger  you were using but I'm guessing that as far as parallel port keying
goes that it does not (or at least should not) make any difference.  You
must be using XP or 2000 since you said that you installed the "port"
program.

The only thing I can come up with would be to make sure the "Other" block is
checked in the Logger set-up  - just opposite the LPT port that you have
selected - AND - that the proper CW/Ptt Port Address is entered in the
window.  I recall reading that for some systems the Logger default value for
the port address is not correct.  You should be able to look at your
hardware set-up on the computer to see what the address is for the LPT port
that you are trying to use and then enter that value in the window.

 Next, I would remove the laptop from the port replicator and then use a
vom/dmm to check for keying action right at the parallel port on the
computer (usually pin 17) to verify (or not verify) changes in the state of
the port output.  This would eliminate any problems that might be inherent
in the port replicator or the keying interface you are using.

I'm probably way out on the limb here (gulp) but I'm guessing that it will
turn out to be either the "Other" check or that the selected LPT port
address is not correct.

Try a post on the N1MM group reflector.  I'll bet the group will come up
with a number of other ideas.

Sure hope you get this solved.  It can become intensely frustrating quickly!
With the K2 really gaining popularity for contesting finding solutions to
these problems is of interest to lots of us.  73  --don n4hh

Modifying Your Elecraft Rig

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Or, I should say, "Mod, what mod???"

In an off-the-reflector exchange with another Elecraft owner about a mod for
his K2, I was reminded of a great resource that I haven't seen mentioned
here lately.

Several years ago Sverre Holm, LA3ZA, assembled a list of official and
unofficial Elecraft K2 modifications to help you keep your K2 up to date or
to address specific issues that others have encountered already. He's been
diligently keeping it up to date ever since.

For those who may have an older K2, the list is broken down by mods
applicable to serial numbers before S/N 3000 and after S/N 3000 (that was
when Elecraft made changes to the main RF board in the K2 to incorporate a
number of circuit changes).

Sverre has done an *outstanding* job compiling this list. If you are looking
for a mod, or wondering what mods are applicable to your K2, check out his
list at:

http://www.qsl.net/la3za/K2/mod.html

73,

Ron AC7AC

Re: N1MM

Don Nesbitt
Hi Bob - I see by your posts on the N1MM Logger group that the LPT port
address on your laptop was indeed not correctly set just as I had
conjectured and, that once set, it solved your basic LPT keying problem!
 Ha - my neck is still in tact!  Thank you very much :-)

As to the connection of the keying diodes and the correct setting of the K2
software, I note that Rich KE0X has already answered that one quite nicely -
no need for germanium diodes - the 1N4148 silicon diodes should work well -
that is what I'm using.  Following his directions, your system should be
working well at this point.

Glad you are now up and running.  Have fun es 73  --Don N4HH  K2/100 #2028
KAT100, KX1 #243, etc, etc,

>The only thing I can come up with would be to make >sure the "Other" block
is
> checked in the Logger set-up  - just opposite the LPT >port that you have
> selected - AND - that the proper CW/Ptt Port Address >is entered in the
> window.  I recall reading that for some systems the >Logger default value
for
> the port address is not correct.  You should be able to >look at your
> hardware set-up on the computer to see what the >address is for the LPT
port
> that you are trying to use and then enter that value in the >window.

<Snip>

Donald Nesbitt also wrote:

> I'm probably way out on the limb here (gulp) but I'm >guessing that it
will
> turn out to be either the "Other" check or that the >selected LPT port
> address is not correct.

---