NR & AGC

chen dave
hello all,

     Anyone try this: listening a S7 to S9 signal (SSB) on any band with
your headphone,  at this time, try to
enable NR,  you will hear a really LOUD audio!
     Maybe need firmware upgrade to fix it.

73s David BA4RF

Re: NR & AGC

Joe Planisky
I can confirm this.  I've heard it on strong SSB signals and it's easy
to demonstrate with the XG2 signal generator set to the 50uV level.
The more aggressive the NR setting, the louder the strong signals
become.  Using the XG2 and the K3's built in AFV meter, NR F1-1 gives
a 3.1 dB boost and NR F4-4 gives a 16.4 dB boost.

Joe KB8AP

On Apr 7, 2009, at 7:47 PM, chen dave wrote:

> hello all,
>
>     Anyone try this: listening a S7 to S9 signal (SSB) on any band
> with
> your headphone,  at this time, try to
> enable NR,  you will hear a really LOUD audio!
>     Maybe need firmware upgrade to fix it.
>
> 73s David BA4RF

Re: NR & AGC

Merv Schweigert
Confirm this one also,  I dont operate SSB but tuned in a couple
stations to
try it out and it will blow your ears off when you hit the NR button.
Did not reload older software to see where it took place but its new on the
last release or so.
Merv KH7C

> I can confirm this.  I've heard it on strong SSB signals and it's easy
> to demonstrate with the XG2 signal generator set to the 50uV level.
> The more aggressive the NR setting, the louder the strong signals
> become.  Using the XG2 and the K3's built in AFV meter, NR F1-1 gives
> a 3.1 dB boost and NR F4-4 gives a 16.4 dB boost.
>
> 73
> --
> Joe KB8AP
>

> On Apr 7, 2009, at 7:47 PM, chen dave wrote:
>

>> hello all,
>>
>>     Anyone try this: listening a S7 to S9 signal (SSB) on any band
>> with
>> your headphone,  at this time, try to
>> enable NR,  you will hear a really LOUD audio!
>>     Maybe need firmware upgrade to fix it.
>>
>> 73s David BA4RF
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: NR & AGC

Steve-7
When I tune K3 to the carrier wave signal of a AM broadcasting in LSB mode, and then press NR,  the AF output of K3 turns very very loud. AFV display will turns from 1xxx to 5xxx when DSP is activated in this situation.  Description above is is a simulation of receiving a sharp SSB signal in the real QSO. When receiving a sharp voice SSB signal with DSP on, AF output can be extreme loud. I fell across this situation several times in the contest.

73,
Steve

73s David BA4RF

Re: NR & AGC

Gary, W7TEA
I've not found this to be the case here--also use 3.06 and operate CW.
I know that the AGC THR setting will affect the signal volume when NR is engaged.
I typically have the THR setting between 4 and 6 and the NR at 2-1.
I use the rear headphone jack.

73, Gary W7TEA

<quote author="Gill W4RYW">
FW ver 3.06 - audio increases to rock concert levels on s-9 CW signal when NR is switched in. NR is unusable now for me - same on SSB also.

Gill

73,

Gary W7TEA  K3 #1001, #5763