Need Help with K2 and KPA100 hook up

Jerry J.
I just bought a K2 with the KPA100 build into the KAT100 tuner box. Can someone tell me how to connect
the two together. I talked to the guy I bought it from and he use the K2 for QRP and forgot how to hook them together.  Jerry

Re: Need Help with K2 and KPA100 hook up

Don Wilhelm-4
Jerry,

1st question - did the seller provide the Control Cable?  - a cable with
3 DB-9 connectors on it?  If not you will need to build one (if you
eliminate computer control of the K2, you can do it with only 2 DB-9
connectors)
CAUTION - do not use a computer serial cable.
If you do not have the cable, follow the instructions in the KAT100
manual page 25.

If you do have the Control Cable, connect the end with 2 cables
installed to the K2 KIO2 AUX I/O connector.  Another caution, that is
*not* an RS-232 connector, although it does contain 3 of the RS-232
defined signals.  Most of the signals are internal K2 signals for
connecting to Elecraft external accessories (like the KAT100).
Connecting a PC serial port to this connector with a standard serial
port cable can damage the K2.

The short end of the Control Cable plugs into the KAT100 (or KPA100) AUX
I/O connector.  The end with the female DB-9 connector can go to the PC
serial port, or it can just be left unplugged.

You will need a short length of coax with BNC connectors on both ends.
Connect one to the BNC RF output jack on the K2 - if it is equipped with
the KAT2, connect to the ANT1 jack.  The other end connects to the AUX
RF jack on the KAT100.  (the KAT100 connectors are on the bottom of the
rear panel and the KPA100 connectors are on the top rear cover).

Another piece of short coax needed - this one has PL-259 connectors on
both ends.  Connect it between the KPA100 antenna jack and the KAT100 RF
IN jack

Jerry J. wrote:

> I just bought a K2 with the KPA100 build into the KAT100 tuner box. Can someone tell me how to connect
> the two together. I talked to the guy I bought it from and he use the K2 for QRP and forgot how to hook them together.  Jerry

Re: Need Help with K2 and KPA100 hook up

Paul ZL3IN-2
Lyle has written-up how he did it at www.kk7p.com

73 ZL3IN Paul