New Amp

Chester Alderman
I am considering the purchase of an Alpha 9500 amplifier to be used with my
K3, mainly for CW contesting.

I would appreciate it if any K3 owner who also has been using the same
amplifier would send me (direct) their impressions/thoughts on the
compatibility of these two units.

Email me direct at w4bqf at arrl.net

Thanks and 73,

Tom - W4BQF

Re: New Amp

Dale - K7DNH
I don't own a 9500 personally - however Tom K5RC has a wall full of them ( Six! ) being fed by his four K3's at his station - W7RN.  Here is a link where you can see them.. but you need to be ready to hit the pause button as it is a VERY short video.. You can see a couple of the K3s and the wal Tom is facing has the Alphas mounted into it.

It is an amazing station to visit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RQhhqV3OVQ&feature=related

73

Dale
K7DNH

Re: New Amp

Hank Garretson
The K5RC/W7RN amplifiers are made by an Australian company. They are not
Alphas.

73,

Hank, W6SX

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Dale Harding K7DNH <[hidden email]>wrote:

I don't own a 9500 personally - however Tom K5RC has a wall full of them (
> Six! ) being fed by his four K3's at his station - W7RN.  Here is a link
> where you can see them.. but you need to be ready to hit the pause button
> as
> it is a VERY short video.. You can see a couple of the K3s and the wal Tom
> is facing has the Alphas mounted into it.
>
> It is an amazing station to visit.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RQhhqV3OVQ&feature=related

Re: New Amp

Dale - K7DNH
My error - thanks for the correction!

Re: New Amp

Gary Gregory
Hmmm..look like EMTRON's...

Hope he has better luck with them than I had with 2 units..:-(

Gary

On 24 April 2011 13:45, Dale Harding K7DNH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My error - thanks for the correction!

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: K3 in combination with Alpha 9500...

hb9dco
Hi Tom,
I'm using the combo now since more than two years...without any flaw...
Note please, mainly I'm talking about my K3......... in use with Alpha 9500
The Alpha 9500 itself can be very tricky...

You have to use your Power setting (K3) very often...

On 17m, with 17W drive power, I'm getting out 1kW (1000 Watt keydown)...
On 40m, for the same output,you need about 30W of driving power...and so on...
If you want work "barefoot", this is an other story...

There're some issues with the 9500...independent, what kind of transceiver you're using

Yep, I forgot:
The capability in CW...especially "QSK mode" is running pretty good, I didn't fiddle any knob in use with my K3...

vy 73,
Art HB9DCO