New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
New KAT500 pictures on our news page:
http://www.elecraft.com/news.htm

--
Eric
---

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

WE5ST
Eric, you know the drill.....

How much? When?

________________________________

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

w0mu
Sexy!

Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net

On 4/24/2012 12:50 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
> New KAT500 pictures on our news page:
> http://www.elecraft.com/news.htm

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

Tim Tucker
Any plans soon on a legal limit (1.5 KW+) auto tuner that can handle 10:1
SWR?  Reading the site, it looks like the KAT500 will the power, but only
at 3:1 SWR.

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

Rick WA6NHC
Did I see BNC adapters?  For THAT much energy?  Not in my shack...  ;-)

It's time to replace the drool pads again...  patience patience

Rick wa6nhc

On 4/24/2012 12:50 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
> New KAT500 pictures on our news page:
> http://www.elecraft.com/news.htm

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

Gary Gregory
Rick,

Maybe you need another coffee?...:-)

Look pretty much like SO-239's to me....

Gary

On 25 April 2012 06:18, Rick Bates <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did I see BNC adapters?  For THAT much energy?  Not in my shack...  ;-)
>
> It's time to replace the drool pads again...  patience patience
>
> Rick wa6nhc
>
> On 4/24/2012 12:50 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
> > New KAT500 pictures on our news page:
> > http://www.elecraft.com/news.htm

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

Rick WA6NHC
Look closer, they used BNC to PL-259 adapters.  The active antenna (front
light) also isn't connected (ant 1 on the rear).

I can live with the RG8x cable for under a kilowatt... but BNC above 100
watts on HF?  Yes, I'm teasing them, it was a demo to show the box with the
pretty lights for the ooh aah effect.

I note that the RS-232 (presumably, PC Data) is not a standard connector
(DB-9).  That's unfortunate.  I have a drawer full of 'special' cables
already.

I'd like to see some enterprising software engineer use the RLC info direct
from the K3/KAT500 so we can use them as antenna analyzers (not just SWR,
the actual values) automating what we can sort of do manually now.  We
already have most of what is needed to analyze the antenna, why not put it
to use?

73,

Rick wa6nhc

  _____

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

Bill K9YEQ
Those are PL259 to BNC adapters from what I can see.  The BNC's are faster
to connect/disconnect.  They are very efficient.  I don't want to start
another long thread, so please email me direct if you have some debate.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ

Did I see BNC adapters?  For THAT much energy?  Not in my shack...  ;-)

It's time to replace the drool pads again...  patience patience

Rick wa6nhc

On 4/24/2012 12:50 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
> New KAT500 pictures on our news page:
> http://www.elecraft.com/news.htm

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

Dick Dievendorff
http://www.elecraft.com/KAT500/kat500rear_visalia.jpg

There are no BNC connectors on the back of the KAT500.

The back panel (from left to right) has a heavy screw with wing nut for
ground, four SO-239s (ANT3, ANT2, ANT1, XMTR), a 2.1 mm coaxial jack for 12V
DC power, two RCA phono jacks for amplifier PTT key line interrupt (you
would not normally use these for an Elecraft K3 / KPA500), a 3.5mm TRS jack
labeled AH-4 that can be used with ICOM transceivers with a TUNE button and
a four-pin Molex tune connector, a 3.5mm TRS jack labeled PC Data that uses
a device like the KXUSB USB-to-serial adapter, or the same serial cable that
is used for the W2 or XG3), and two 15-pin accessory connectors for
connection from K3 to KAT500 to KPA500.

Dick, K6KR

Did I see BNC adapters?  For THAT much energy?  Not in my shack...  ;-)

It's time to replace the drool pads again...  patience patience

Rick wa6nhc

On 4/24/2012 12:50 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
> New KAT500 pictures on our news page:
> http://www.elecraft.com/news.htm

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

Bill N2BC
I see a couple 15-pin HD connectors,  "XCVR" and "AMP".

I have a pretty well stuffed plug on the K3 ACC socket now (RTTY interface /
KRC2 / PR6 / KPA500).  Does the K3 to KPA500 cable simply go to the KAT500,
then a jumper from the KAT to the KPA ??

THX!

73, Bill   N2BC

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

ab2tc
Hi,

Yes, but the cables are BNC terminated cables connected via adapters from the looks of it it. Not in my shack either, but that is beside the point. More questions: How much current on the 11-15V supply? Is the "tune" button a simple switch to ground? You know what I am getting at. I want to mount this fellow outdoors in a weather protected shelter and remote it. I have been doing that successfully with an MFJ auto-tuner for more than 3 upstate NY winters and it's still going strong. I think my "house" can accommodate the KAT500 with some rearranging. Assuming that the tuner will switch to bypass when losing power, all I need is the ability to initiate a tune cycle. I assume that the tuner can be put in semiautomatic mode (only tunes on demand) and will remember the mode across power cycle. I am drooling already. The MFJ tuner performs adequately but has a 200W limit and is somewhat temperamental when it comes to finding a tuning solution. An Eham reviewer of it claims that they have wired the 4 LSB bits for the relays backwards. I find it hard to believe but it often fails to find solutions on easy to tune antennas (I have 6 behind an MFJ remote switch box).

AB2TC - Knut

Gary Gregory wrote
Rick,

Maybe you need another coffee?...:-)

Look pretty much like SO-239's to me....

Gary

On 25 April 2012 06:18, Rick Bates <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did I see BNC adapters?  For THAT much energy?  Not in my shack...  ;-)
>
> It's time to replace the drool pads again...  patience patience
>
> Rick wa6nhc
>
> On 4/24/2012 12:50 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
> > New KAT500 pictures on our news page:
> > http://www.elecraft.com/news.htm

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

Guy, K2AV
10:1 SWR at 1.5 kW mandates voltages and currents that require, among other
very expensive items, vacuum variable caps, [high current AND high voltage]
relay design and contacts, and inductors that can handle ridiculous
reactive currents.  And I'm sure you want it in the same form factor,
right?  If you want to see something actually built for that, try

     http://www.rfconcepts.com/PRODUCTS/New-Products/Alpha4040

There probably is not a reasonable antenna that you cannot partially match
at the antenna feed to reduce SWR over the coax, and save a lot of loss in
the process, to get it at significantly less than 3:1 looking into the
coax. An example of this is using a 3:1 turns ratio autotransformer (not a
balun) at the base of an end-fed halfwave.  Feeding 9:1 stepped down Z over
the coax is not so bad, and it's within the range of just about any tuner I
ever saw.

If you're getting 10:1 out of a piece of coax, you're using up your amp to
cover the loss in the coax from running power through it at a ridiculous
and hugely lossy SWR.

73, Guy.

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Tim Tucker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any plans soon on a legal limit (1.5 KW+) auto tuner that can handle 10:1
> SWR?  Reading the site, it looks like the KAT500 will the power, but only
> at 3:1 SWR.

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

Dick Dievendorff
Yes, the connections are as you've suggested.
The KAT500 has access to the K3's band change lines, AUXBUS, and can
interrupt the KPA500 PTT key line with just that one cable.

I have that same "too busy" ACC connector problem with antenna & bandpass
filter switching, amp, PR-6, and PTT/FSK connection to a microHAM device.
I'm using a couple of layers of Y connector, dislike the solution, and I
have ideas to resolve that problem somehow.

Unfortunately I have more ideas than time to implement them.

Dick, K6KR

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

ke9uw
The voltage at 500 watts would be 224 volts peak. In fact, 1500 watts would be 387 volts peak.
Well within the 500 volt peak rating of the BNC and the 500 volt peak rating of the UHF connector according to Amphenol.
The N connector is rated at 1500 volts peak, which is odd since the center of it is the same dimensions as the BNC connector.
The output of the tuner is another matter as to a possible peak voltage...
But I run all BNC connectors in my shack, have for decades and never had an issue with up to legal limit.
I do have a UHF jack at the output of my tuner, connected to a UHF plug on a balun.
By the way, UHF connectors are not 50 ohm connectors, but are non constant impedance connectors. 50 ohm BNCs are of course 50 ohms

Chuck, KE9UW
aka Jack, BMW Motorcycles

Chuck, KE9UW

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

Dick Dievendorff
We weren't using high power at Visalia.  There are different opinions about
whether 500 W is too much for a BNC connector, but the point is moot; the
connectors on the KAT500 are all SO-239 UHF connectors.

Power needs haven't been specified, but we have a number of 12V relays that
want 30 mA and one that needs 60 mA.  I'm hoping we can keep the overall
power limit to 2A max, but 1A may not be attainable.

There will be a pull-to-ground to initiate tune mechanism on the AH-4
connector.

However we really need to interrupt the amplifier key line during tuning, or
you'll have to do it yourself to tune.  Some of the ATU's ability to protect
itself from damage in the event of severe mismatch and high power depends on
the ability to inhibit the amplifier through the amp PTT/key line.

The ATU is bypassed and ANT1 is selected when powered off.

Right now I depend on a power off pushbutton to save some transient state,
but I think I want to do it periodically anyway (saving only if it's
changed) so that if you make a change and wait a few seconds we won't lose
that state across power off.

New tune results are of course saved for retune. We have a lot of EEPROM for
saving tune results.

Dick, K6KR

Yes, but the cables are BNC terminated cables connected via adapters from
the looks of it it. Not in my shack either, but that is beside the point.
More questions: How much current on the 11-15V supply? Is the "tune" button
a simple switch to ground? You know what I am getting at. I want to mount
this fellow outdoors in a weather protected shelter and remote it. I have
been doing that successfully with an MFJ auto-tuner for more than 3 upstate
NY winters and it's still going strong. I think my "house" can accommodate
the KAT500 with some rearranging. Assuming that the tuner will switch to
bypass when losing power, all I need is the ability to initiate a tune
cycle. I assume that the tuner can be put in semiautomatic mode (only tunes
on demand) and will remember the mode across power cycle. I am drooling
already. The MFJ tuner performs adequately but has a 200W limit and is
somewhat temperamental when it comes to finding a tuning solution. An Eham
reviewer of it claims that they have wired the 4 LSB bits for the relays
backwards. I find it hard to believe but it often fails to find solutions on
easy to tune antennas (I have 6 behind an MFJ remote switch box).

AB2TC - Knut

Gary Gregory wrote

> Rick,
>
> Maybe you need another coffee?...:-)
>
> Look pretty much like SO-239's to me....
>
> Gary
>
> On 25 April 2012 06:18, Rick Bates &lt;happymoosephoto@&gt; wrote:
>
>> Did I see BNC adapters?  For THAT much energy?  Not in my shack...
>> ;-)
>>
>> It's time to replace the drool pads again...  patience patience
>>
>> Rick wa6nhc
>>
>> On 4/24/2012 12:50 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
>> > New KAT500 pictures on our news page:
>> > http://www.elecraft.com/news.htm

>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this
>> email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>

> --
> Gary
> VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
> Elecraft Equipment
> K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
> Living the dream!!!

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

The 500 volts peak translates to 1250 watts at an SWR = 1.0, but the
1,500 V rms translates into 45 kW (also at SWR = 1.0)  if my calculator
is correct.   In ant case, BNC connectors do not have a problem at the
500 watt level unless the SWR is high.

On 4/24/2012 6:57 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> BNC's can handle kilowatts of RF efficiently at reasonable SWRs. After all,
> the popular type N is simply a BNC with a screw-on outer shell.
>
> Decent quality BNCs (e.g. Amphenol) are rated at 500 volts peak with a
> dielectric that will handle 1,500 V rms. That's 5 KW into 50 ohms, if my
> brain is working correctly, so they should handle the legal limit for US
> Hams into any reasonable SWR.
>
> Ron AC7AC

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

M0XDF
Is there an option to replace the SO239s on my K3 with BNCs?

Sent from my iPad

On 25 Apr 2012, at 00:15, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 500 volts peak translates to 1250 watts at an SWR = 1.0, but the
> 1,500 V rms translates into 45 kW (also at SWR = 1.0)  if my calculator
> is correct.   In ant case, BNC connectors do not have a problem at the
> 500 watt level unless the SWR is high.
>
> On 4/24/2012 6:57 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
>> BNC's can handle kilowatts of RF efficiently at reasonable SWRs. After all,
>> the popular type N is simply a BNC with a screw-on outer shell.
>>
>> Decent quality BNCs (e.g. Amphenol) are rated at 500 volts peak with a
>> dielectric that will handle 1,500 V rms. That's 5 KW into 50 ohms, if my
>> brain is working correctly, so they should handle the legal limit for US
>> Hams into any reasonable SWR.
>>
>> Ron AC7AC

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

Chuck Shefflette
Oak Hills Research sells a kit with a female BNC and a punched plate sized to fit in place of a SO-239 for $5.00 each or two for $7.50. I have them on both of my K3s and quite a few other places in the shack. The ones that haven't been replaced wear adapters to BNC, all my cables are BNC... That reminds me, I've got to yoder a few more...

Chuck - AA3CS

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 24, 2012, at 19:24, "David Ferrington, M0XDF" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there an option to replace the SO239s on my K3 with BNCs?
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 25 Apr 2012, at 00:15, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The 500 volts peak translates to 1250 watts at an SWR = 1.0, but the
>> 1,500 V rms translates into 45 kW (also at SWR = 1.0)  if my calculator
>> is correct.   In ant case, BNC connectors do not have a problem at the
>> 500 watt level unless the SWR is high.
>>
>> On 4/24/2012 6:57 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
>>> BNC's can handle kilowatts of RF efficiently at reasonable SWRs. After all,
>>> the popular type N is simply a BNC with a screw-on outer shell.
>>>
>>> Decent quality BNCs (e.g. Amphenol) are rated at 500 volts peak with a
>>> dielectric that will handle 1,500 V rms. That's 5 KW into 50 ohms, if my
>>> brain is working correctly, so they should handle the legal limit for US
>>> Hams into any reasonable SWR.
>>>
>>> Ron AC7AC

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

73 - Chuck, AA3CS

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

Jim Rhodes-2
I had Joel at The RF Connection (therfc.com) order me some BNC panel
connectors with the same bolt pattern as an SO239. This allowed me to
change out the connectors on my K3 and several other pieces of equipment.
It is not an item he normally stocks as far as I know. I gave them the RFI
part number and they ordered me 10-12 of them as I remember. They may have
even have come drop ship from RFI. But RFI wouldn't even acknowledge an
email from me. The RFI part number is
RFB-115-14 if you want them to order some for you.

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:24 PM, David Ferrington, M0XDF <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there an option to replace the SO239s on my K3 with BNCs?
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 25 Apr 2012, at 00:15, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The 500 volts peak translates to 1250 watts at an SWR = 1.0, but the
> > 1,500 V rms translates into 45 kW (also at SWR = 1.0)  if my calculator
> > is correct.   In ant case, BNC connectors do not have a problem at the
> > 500 watt level unless the SWR is high.
> >
> > On 4/24/2012 6:57 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
> >> BNC's can handle kilowatts of RF efficiently at reasonable SWRs. After
> all,
> >> the popular type N is simply a BNC with a screw-on outer shell.
> >>
> >> Decent quality BNCs (e.g. Amphenol) are rated at 500 volts peak with a
> >> dielectric that will handle 1,500 V rms. That's 5 KW into 50 ohms, if my
> >> brain is working correctly, so they should handle the legal limit for US
> >> Hams into any reasonable SWR.
> >>
> >> Ron AC7AC

> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Jim K0XU
[hidden email]

Re: New KAT500 pics from the Visalia DX convention

Don Wilhelm-4
Jim,

Don't get me wrong, I am quite happy using UHF to BNC adapters where
they are convenient.   I use PL-259 connectors on RG-8X  or RG-213
cables for my intra-shack connections.  In other words, I use what
works.  I do have several cables with PL-259 on one end and BNC on the
other to connect to my QRP gear.  I have no desire convert my equipment
from the connectors that are standard for that piece of equipment to
anything else.  There are adapters and "tween series" connectors that
will serve as the transition pieces.

As A "for-instance", my HW101 used an RCA jack for the RF connector (the
Collins KWM@ and S-line did too if my memory is correct).  The use of an
RCA to either BNC or PL-259 adapter is prudent rather than changing the
connector on that piece of classic gear.