New SSB Squelch function

W7GJ, Lance
I downloaded the latest beta with the squelch and tried to set it up, but I wonder if
there is something about it that I don't understand, or need to adjust differently.
I was hoping I could basically set the squelch with the RF/SQL knob on the front
panel...crank it all the way clockwise for full on with no squelch (for trying to
detect weak signals in the noise) and then back it off as desired to set the squelch
threshold for the strength of the signals required to break the squelch.

However, in my setup it seems to function just the opposite!  The squelch is always
on when the RF/SQL control is fully clockwise, and when I back off on it, it OPENS
the squelch as some signal level greater than the no-signal noise level.  How do you
adjust it to listen with the RF gain fully open so you can hear the noise level?

Right now, the only solution I have been able to find is to disable the squelch
entirely in the CONFIG.  MNI TNX for any guidance!  VY 73, Lance
--
Lance Collister, W7GJ (ex: WN3GPL, WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8)
P.O. Box 73

Re: New SSB Squelch function

Don Wilhelm-4
Lance,

You have your choice of either an RF gain control OR a Squelch control
(but if you do not have the subreceiver, you can have both).

If you choose to have the squelch control, then the RF gain can be
handled by using the attenuator and the preamp, and the AGC will also
work to limit the RF Gain when listening to strong signals.

All Squelch controls I have used conform to the way the K3 Squelch
control works - it controls the level at which the squelch opens.  Think
of it as being numbered 1 to 9 (like the S-meter scale).  When at
position 2, signals greater than S-2 will open the squelch, but if set
to 9, only signals above S-9 will open it.  The numbers I have used are
only for illustration, there is no exact correlation that I know about.

If you do not have the subreceiver installed, you can set the CCONFIG
menu SQ MAIN = Sub Pot and you can have the RF gain control on the main
knob and the squelch on the sub knob.  Yes, the same is possible with
the subRX installed (set both SQ MAIN and SQ SUB to Sub Pot, but you
then have no RF gain control on the sub.

Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:

> I downloaded the latest beta with the squelch and tried to set it up, but I wonder if
> there is something about it that I don't understand, or need to adjust differently.
> I was hoping I could basically set the squelch with the RF/SQL knob on the front
> panel...crank it all the way clockwise for full on with no squelch (for trying to
> detect weak signals in the noise) and then back it off as desired to set the squelch
> threshold for the strength of the signals required to break the squelch.
>
> However, in my setup it seems to function just the opposite!  The squelch is always
> on when the RF/SQL control is fully clockwise, and when I back off on it, it OPENS
> the squelch as some signal level greater than the no-signal noise level.  How do you
> adjust it to listen with the RF gain fully open so you can hear the noise level?
>
> Right now, the only solution I have been able to find is to disable the squelch
> entirely in the CONFIG.  MNI TNX for any guidance!  VY 73, Lance

Re: New SSB Squelch function

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Don - A couple of minor clarifications:

1. If you dedicate the Sub RF gain knob to adjust Squelch, you get a
combined RF gain for both RXs on the main RF gain knob.

2. If squelch is fully counter clockwise, it is always open with no
threshold.

This is all covered in the latest f/w release notes and the
presently-shipping K3 manual.

73, Eric  WA6HHQ
-----

Re: New SSB Squelch function

Don Wilhelm-4
Thanks for the clarifications Eric.
I do not have the subRX, so I "assumed" and we all know what that does.

You are correct about the SQL knob at zero.  I do mentally relate it on
a relative scale basis to the S-meter - the higher it is set, the
stronger the signal must be to open the squelch.

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

> Don - A couple of minor clarifications:
>
> 1. If you dedicate the Sub RF gain knob to adjust Squelch, you get a
> combined RF gain for both RXs on the main RF gain knob.
>
> 2. If squelch is fully counter clockwise, it is always open with no
> threshold.
>

> This is all covered in the latest f/w release notes and the
> presently-shipping K3 manual.
>
> 73, Eric  WA6HHQ
> -----

Re: New SSB Squelch function

W7GJ, Lance
AHA :-)  I went back to it yet again and finally found the SUB POT option at the
end of all the SQ MAIN number settings :-)  Things are working just GREAT now!  I
guess I just need to be a little more adventuresome in hunting for some of these
settings!  MNI TNX for prompting me again to tackle this and go in search of the
proper setting option!  VY 73, Lance

Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Lance,
>
> You have your choice of either an RF gain control OR a Squelch control
> (but if you do not have the subreceiver, you can have both).
>
> If you choose to have the squelch control, then the RF gain can be
> handled by using the attenuator and the preamp, and the AGC will also
> work to limit the RF Gain when listening to strong signals.
>
> All Squelch controls I have used conform to the way the K3 Squelch
> control works - it controls the level at which the squelch opens.  Think
> of it as being numbered 1 to 9 (like the S-meter scale).  When at
> position 2, signals greater than S-2 will open the squelch, but if set
> to 9, only signals above S-9 will open it.  The numbers I have used are
> only for illustration, there is no exact correlation that I know about.
>
> If you do not have the subreceiver installed, you can set the CCONFIG
> menu SQ MAIN = Sub Pot and you can have the RF gain control on the main
> knob and the squelch on the sub knob.  Yes, the same is possible with
> the subRX installed (set both SQ MAIN and SQ SUB to Sub Pot, but you
> then have no RF gain control on the sub.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:
>> I downloaded the latest beta with the squelch and tried to set it up, but I wonder if
>> there is something about it that I don't understand, or need to adjust differently.
>> I was hoping I could basically set the squelch with the RF/SQL knob on the front
>> panel...crank it all the way clockwise for full on with no squelch (for trying to
>> detect weak signals in the noise) and then back it off as desired to set the squelch
>> threshold for the strength of the signals required to break the squelch.
>>
>> However, in my setup it seems to function just the opposite!  The squelch is always
>> on when the RF/SQL control is fully clockwise, and when I back off on it, it OPENS
>> the squelch as some signal level greater than the no-signal noise level.  How do you
>> adjust it to listen with the RF gain fully open so you can hear the noise level?
>>
>> Right now, the only solution I have been able to find is to disable the squelch
>> entirely in the CONFIG.  MNI TNX for any guidance!  VY 73, Lance

Lance Collister, W7GJ (ex: WN3GPL, WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT  59834  USA
QTH: DN27UB
TEL: (406) 626-5728   URL: http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj
2m DXCC #11, 6m DXCC #815

Re: New SSB Squelch function

AB3EN
Lance,

Wayne is working on the issues and the latest release that I have tested looks good. Wait for the next beta and I think you will find it more effective.

73
Dan
W7GJ, Lance wrote
I downloaded the latest beta with the squelch and tried to set it up,
--
Lance Collister, W7GJ (ex: WN3GPL, WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8)

Dan AB3EN