New signal generator XG3

Re: [QRP-L] New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF SignalSource

Thomas Horsten
On 14 April 2011 06:14, Joe Subich, W4TV <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  > Why does the XG3 have an RS232 port and not a USB port?
>
> Not again!  USB is very operating system dependent and incurs a
> significant overhead cost in licensing as well as software cost
> for multiple operating systems.

The ftdi devices have free and open licence-free drivers for all platforms.

73,
Thomas 2E0ETT

Re: New signal generator XG3

Bill W4ZV
WHam727 wrote
>From www.elecraft.com : "1.5-1400 MHz; 1.5-200 MHz calibrated output level. 12 frequency memories, computer controllable, -107, -73, -33 and 0 dBm output levels
In case anyone besides me wondered why the -33 dBm level was added, there's an advanced RF gain calibration in the K3 Utility which uses -33 dBm (in addition to -73 dBm) for even better linearity of the RF Gain (RX) control.  More details should follow when Dick K6KR returns from Visalia and updates the K3 Utility.

73,  Bill

Re: [QRP-L] New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF SignalSource

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > The ftdi devices have free and open licence-free drivers for all
 > platforms.

Only as a "serial converter" using FTDI's own UID/PID.  When one
needs to support a specific device, e.g., "Elecraft XG3," it is
necessary to license and certify the drivers at substantial cost
before some operating systems will install them.  In any case, the
CPU side of the equation is only part of the issue ... and still
does not account for the additional cost/complexity/size on the
device side.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 4/14/2011 1:10 PM, Thomas Horsten wrote:

> On 14 April 2011 06:14, Joe Subich, W4TV<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>

>>   >  Why does the XG3 have an RS232 port and not a USB port?
>>
>> Not again!  USB is very operating system dependent and incurs a
>> significant overhead cost in licensing as well as software cost
>> for multiple operating systems.
>
> The ftdi devices have free and open licence-free drivers for all platforms.
>
> 73,
> Thomas 2E0ETT

Re: New signal generator XG3

Guy, K2AV
Yeah, just to prove those Italians on 40m really ARE 40 over 9...
Stacked 5 element yagis and push-pull 3CX5000A's.

Will be interesting to see if the phase noise is low enough to allow
us to run filter shapes down past -60 dB.

Zero dB will allow me to use a tuned rubber duckie per band for
precise pattern measurements and RX antenna sensitivity and null
adjustments.  Turn it on, haul it way up in a tree, and go make
adjustments. Hope any auto turn off is an option.  Also maybe a very
slow beep for power saving.  Maybe even <long bleep> .... <long bleep>
 K2AV/B  0.   And then K2AV/B  BATT when batt is low enough to drop
out of calibration.  Maybe even cycle 0, -33, -73...

Isn't it awful how much new stuff we can dream up on top of a new
release. :>)   But I ordered mine, so I've paid the dues.

73, Guy

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Bill W4ZV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> WHam727 wrote:
>>
>>>From www.elecraft.com : "1.5-1400 MHz; 1.5-200 MHz calibrated output
> level. 12 frequency memories, computer controllable, -107, -73, -33 and 0
> dBm output levels
>>

> In case anyone besides me wondered why the -33 dBm level was added, there's
> an advanced RF gain calibration in the K3 Utility which uses -33 dBm (in
> addition to -73 dBm) for even better linearity of the RF Gain (RX) control.
> More details should follow when Dick K6KR returns from Visalia and updates
> the K3 Utility.
>
> 73,  Bill

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
The image of the XG3 on the order form is now clickable and opens a high
resolution picture of the XG3 (1.8 MB).

The direct link to the picture is:
http://www.elecraft.com/images/XG3_1200%20.jpg

73, Eric  WA6HHQ
www.elecraft.com
----

On 4/14/2011 9:34 AM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

> I will add this this morning.
> Eric
>

> On 4/14/2011 2:08 AM, Adrian wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I know, no one on our staff has made a QSO on an XG3 yet.
>>> But keep in mind that 0 dBm is only 30 dB below 1 watt. So if your 1-W
>>> QRP rig is S9 at the receiving end, the XG3 would be about S3.
>>>
>>> Suitable antenna design is left to the reader.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Wayne
>>> N6KR
>>>
>> Wayne would it be possible to provide a click-able link on the picture;
>>
>> http://www.elecraft.com/images/XG3v2%20100.jpg
>>
>> to a larger picture so we can see the detail please?
>>
>> Adrian ... vk4tux

>> __._,_.___
>> Reply to sender
>> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20%5BElecraft%5D%20New%20Elecraft%20product%3A%20%20XG3%20All-Band%20RF%20Signal%20Source>
>> | Reply to group
>> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20%5BElecraft%5D%20New%20Elecraft%20product%3A%20%20XG3%20All-Band%20RF%20Signal%20Source>
>> | Start a New Topic
>> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elecraft/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlYzM3b2M3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzk0MTUzMDYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTMwMjc5MDU1Mw-->
>>
>> Messages in this topic
>> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elecraft/message/652;_ylc=X3oDMTMyb3FtdnYzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzk0MTUzMDYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BG1zZ0lkAzY1OARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzMDI3OTA1NTMEdHBjSWQDNjUy>
>> (4)
>> Recent Activity:
>>
>>      * New Members
>>        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elecraft/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNGZ1amNnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzk0MTUzMDYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEzMDI3OTA1NTM-?o=6>
>>        3
>>
>> Visit Your Group
>> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elecraft;_ylc=X3oDMTJlc2VjOHBlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzk0MTUzMDYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTMwMjc5MDU1Mw-->
>>
>> Yahoo! Groups
>> <http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbzBnaHZyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzk0MTUzMDYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMzAyNzkwNTUz>
>>
>> Switch to: Text-Only
>> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional>,
>> Daily Digest
>> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
>> . Unsubscribe
>> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Unsubscribe>  .
>> Terms of Use<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
>> .
>>
>> __,_._,___

Re: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source/phase noise performance?

Alan Bloom
Someone asked about using the XG3 to measure the skirt attenuation of a
crystal filter.

If the phase noise is -105 dBc / Hz, then with a 500 Hz crystal filter
the filter skirts will disappear into the noise at about -105 + 10 *
log(500) = -78 dB.  With a 2.7 kHz filter, it works out to -71 dB.

Alan N1AL

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 18:51 -0700, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Phase noise is specified in the manual. It is a relatively constant
> -105 dBc/Hz, even at very close spacings, which is excellent
> performance for a low-cost, wide-range signal source.
>
> I wouldn't amplify it to 1KW.
>
> Let me know how it works for you as a replacement for the HP8640. Not
> as many knobs and switches, but it runs from a 9-V battery.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Apr 13, 2011, at 6:46 PM, juergen wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > No phase noise performance data in the manual. What is the phase
> > noise performance of the XG3 like?
> >
> > My HP8640 is being held together by a miracles and prayers, I need a
> > replacement.
> >
> > 73
> > John

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Its now up on the web site on the new XG3 info page:
http://www.elecraft.com/XG3/xg3.htm

73, Eric  WA6HHQ
www.elecraft.com

On 4/14/2011 10:11 AM, Jim Sheldon wrote:
> Eric,
> would you please see that the XG3 utility program gets posted
> somewhere on the site if it hasn't been already.  Went looking for it
> earlier and didn't find anything.  Manual states it's on the site -

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

M0XDF
Eric, are there plans to make a OSX version?
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174, P3 #108
Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm. - Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965).

On 14 Apr 2011, at 23:25, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

> Its now up on the web site on the new XG3 info page:
> http://www.elecraft.com/XG3/xg3.htm

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

N5GE

Cycles are oscillation measurements.

Mr Herz was a man who passed away many years ago.

I prefer the use of cycles, because they indicate the exact type of the
measurement, but I'm just an old geezer who prefers many aspects of the old
days.

Glad to hear that my selling of the old HP Analog Signal generator was a good
idea.

Tom
N5GE

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:08:00 -0600, Doug Person <[hidden email]> wrote:

>10 megacycle?  Did you just step through a time portal from the 60's?
>
>Doug -- K0DXV
>

>On 4/13/2011 4:33 PM, pcbyrne wrote:
>> 10 megacycle

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

kevinr@coho.net
Not many people at all would understand the measure of inverse seconds.
Hz or cps are measured in 1/s increments.
    Kevin.  KD5ONS

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 19:41:41 -0700, Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I sympathize with Tom. We honor people by adopting their name for
> measurements and thereby lose what the original designations provided.
>
> Of course back in the 50's and 60's there were many who objected if we
> didn't use the complete designation including the time as in "cycles per
> second", and so on.
>
> Ron AC7AC

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

James Maynard-2
You are an old English-speaking geezer (or at least an American-speaking
geezer.)  But the modern metric system (SI, the International System of
Units) tries to name derived units after people so as to avoid the
problem of "cycle per second" not translating well into other
languages.  (In not all languages does the word for "cycle" start with
the letter "c".  After all, it was the French, not the English, who
first introduced the metric system.

That's why this English-speaking (and French- and German-reading) geezer
likes to follow the metric system style guide, found at
<http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/pdf/si_brochure_8_en.pdf>.

Jim, K7KK -- K3 #5263
"Ignorance is the Mother of Adventure!" -- Hagar the Horrible

On 2011-04-14 07:24 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Cycles are oscillation measurements.
>
> Mr Herz was a man who passed away many years ago.
>
> I prefer the use of cycles, because they indicate the exact type of the
> measurement, but I'm just an old geezer who prefers many aspects of the old
> days.
>
> Tom
> N5GE

Re: New Elecraft product: XG3 All-Band RF Signal Source

n7ws
You mean like kilo Megacycles per second.

--- On Thu, 4/14/11, Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]>

> I sympathize with Tom. We honor
> people by adopting their name for
> measurements and thereby lose what the original
> designations provided.
>
> Of course back in the 50's and 60's there were many who
> objected if we
> didn't use the complete designation including the time as
> in "cycles per
> second", and so on.
>
> Ron AC7AC

Re: New signal generator XG3

N5GE

According to the USPS tracking my XG3 will arrive today.

After we celebrate my Grandson's return from his second tour in Afghanistan
tonight, I will be calibrating the my two K3's S-Meters and the P3 signal
levels.

An all around fun night at N5GE!

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 14:55:10 -0500, Bill Hammond <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Looks like the Elecraft pipeline of equipment runs over..just noticed, not a kit.
>>From www.elecraft.com : "1.5-1400 MHz; 1.5-200 MHz calibrated output level. 12 frequency memories, computer controllable, -107, -73, -33 and 0 dBm output levels. 4.3 x 2.5 x 0.8"
>

>Bill Hammond-AK5X
>[hidden email]
>[hidden email]