News from Visalia! (:-))

dhhdeh
Thanks for the info Doug.

And I am....initially.

Seems like an odd decision in light of alternatives like the very well
received  SPE 1K Expert.

Though I see the LDG is going to offer a 600W auto tuner this June ...
so that may be an alternative.

For me the integration of a tuner into the package would have been
really great for an Elecraft  'pocket linear'.

We'll wait and see.

KPA500 Jpeg's anyone?

73 de N1LQ-Dave

Re: News from Visalia! (:-))

n7ws
It's nice that you bring up the SPE 1K, since it demonstrates very nicely the loss you can suffer with a built-in tuner.

The ARRL review (http://www.arrl.org/files/file/protected/Group/Members/ProductReview/pdf/pr0909.pdf) said that there was 100-200W loss in the internal tuner, and presumably this is into a matched load in the laboratory.

With a mismatched load the losses are generally going to be even higher.

With solid-state power costing upwards of $3-$4/watt these days ($3.20 in this case), why anyone wants to leave $500-600 worth in the box is beyond me.  But then I could never get my arms around the whole mismatched antenna/ladderline/balun/tuner thing in the first place.

Wes  N7WS

> Seems like an odd decision in light of alternatives like
> the very well
> received  SPE 1K Expert.
>
> Though I see the LDG is going to offer a 600W auto tuner
> this June ...
> so that may be an alternative.
>
> For me the integration of a tuner into the package would
> have been
> really great for an Elecraft  'pocket linear'.
>
> We'll wait and see.
>
> KPA500 Jpeg's anyone?
>
> 73 de N1LQ-Dave

Re: News from Visalia! (:-))

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
There is a button on front that says "ATU", but Bob was not giving
anything away.  The linear supply makes it much more multi-TX site
friendly.  This is useful for DXpeditions and multi-TX contesting.
500 watts is a conservative number, appaerntly/.

And:
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii156/n6tqs/visalia/?action=view&current=IMGP0028.jpg

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii156/n6tqs/visalia/?action=view&current=IMGP0030.jpg

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii156/n6tqs/visalia/?action=view&current=IMGP0029.jpg

73, doug

Re: News from Visalia! (:-))

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
Oh, I thought I took a photo of the power transformer, but it didn't
come out.  I'll try again.
And Bob says it'll work nicely into at least 2:1 SWR at full power,
maybe even higher, but they're not ready for "test to destruction"
yet.

73, doug

   Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 08:56:07 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Wes Stewart <[hidden email]>

   It's nice that you bring up the SPE 1K, since it demonstrates very nicely the loss you can suffer with a built-in tuner.

   The ARRL review
   (http://www.arrl.org/files/file/protected/Group/Members/ProductReview/pdf/pr0909.pdf)
   said that there was 100-200W loss in the internal tuner, and
   presumably this is into a matched load in the laboratory.

   With a mismatched load the losses are generally going to be even higher.

   With solid-state power costing upwards of $3-$4/watt these days
   ($3.20 in this case), why anyone wants to leave $500-600 worth in
   the box is beyond me.  But then I could never get my arms around
   the whole mismatched antenna/ladderline/balun/tuner thing in the
   first place.

   Wes  N7WS

   > Seems like an odd decision in light of alternatives like
   > the very well
   > received  SPE 1K Expert.
   >
   > Though I see the LDG is going to offer a 600W auto tuner
   > this June ...
   > so that may be an alternative.
   >
   > For me the integration of a tuner into the package would
   > have been
   > really great for an Elecraft  'pocket linear'.
   >
   > We'll wait and see.
   >
   > KPA500 Jpeg's anyone?
   >
   > 73 de N1LQ-Dave

Re: News from Visalia! (:-))

Arie Kleingeld PA3A-2
The loss in a tuner is dependent on a lot of things. Loss is a fact.
The 10=20% loss in the SPE has no connection to any elecraft device. AFAIK

73
Arie PA3A

more KPA500 photos was Re: News from Visalia! (:-))

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
The KPA500 back panel (sorry for the quality, I didn't realize how bad
it was). One RF in, one out.  And Bob wasn't there, so I'm having to
guess that the modular connector is Murphy-proofing for AUX in and
out:
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii156/n6tqs/visalia/?action=view&current=IMGP0038.jpg

Ther KPA500 power transformer:
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii156/n6tqs/visalia/?action=view&current=IMGP0037.jpg
It's 2/3 of the weight of the entire amp.  For traveling, shipping a
second one ahead should be practical, so you don't have to actually
carry it.

73, doug