NorCal Paddles (Deoxit)

Able2fly
In a message dated 6/9/2004 10:22:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:
I have the "Norcal Paddles" and I really enjoy them but seem to have a
problem with lack of continuity occasionally when the contacts are closed.
Use some Deoxit D100 on the contacts. Deoxit is a red liquid (there may be
other varieties) that will enhance any contact that you can apply it to. I got
mine at a high end audio store, audiophiles use it on interconnects for better
sound.  I have a set of iambic paddles that used to drive me crazy needing
contact cleaning every few QSOs. The keyer in my Kenwood puts such a small
current through the key contacts as to offer no self cleaning at all. After using
Deoxit, the paddles have gone a year without the need for cleaning. The small $5
tube is probably a lifetime supply.
 http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c.ACCT113328/sc.2/category.188/.f
I'd try the Deoxit before fooling with the silver contacts.

Bill  K3UJ
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

RE: NorCal Paddles (Deoxit)

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
I had a similar experience with a 50-year old Speed-X semi-automatic key
(bug), Bill. It has brass contacts. I was always "burnishing" the contacts
every couple of days, especially the dot contacts, or they'd get
intermittent. I put some DeOxit on them several months ago and they've
worked perfectly ever since! Clearly the stuff leaves a coating that resists
a film buildup.

Ron AC7AC

I have the "Norcal Paddles" and I really enjoy them but seem to have a
problem with lack of continuity occasionally when the contacts are closed.
Use some Deoxit D100 on the contacts. ...After using
Deoxit, the paddles have gone a year without the need for cleaning. The
small $5
tube is probably a lifetime supply.
I'd try the Deoxit before fooling with the silver contacts.

Bill  K3UJ

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: NorCal Paddles (Deoxit)

RABRUNER
DeOxit in the red can is excellent stuff for cleaning most metal contacts and keeping them working. Too aggressive for plastic volume controls though, so don't use it there.  They make another DeOxit in a blue can for that, it is also very good.  They also make a liquid for treating contacts after they have been cleaned with the red stuff and another optimized for gold contacts.   MCM Electronics sells most forms of it in the spray cans.  Check their catalog or web site.  It's also available undiluted in bulk and in larger cans as well as those little vials they sell to audiophiles.   The product is made by a company called Caig laboratories, and they have a website if you want to read all about it.

Bob Bruner
W9TAJ
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

NorCal Paddles Intermittant Contacts

N4BP
What this discussion has failed to note is that in some (perhaps most)
cases, the problem is not the contacts
at all, but rather the bearings.  When I built two of these paddles back
when they were initially offered, both
exhibited the "intermittant contacts" syndrome.  As soon as I heard
about them, I ordered and installed the
silvered relay contacts in both paddles, but they continued to show the
same symptoms.

The Arizona ScQRPions apparently experienced the same problem with the
NorCal paddle and incorporated
a fix in the offering of their own paddle kit.  I built one of their
paddles and found that the contacts were 100%
reliable.  Shortly thereafter, I "borrowed" their idea and used it on
the NorCal paddle.  I drilled two small holes
through the base, directly behind the bearings.  I soldered single
strands from stranded hookup wire to the under-
side of each arm in line with the newly drilled holes.  The wires are
fed through the holes, the arms are re-mounted
on their bearings, and the other ends of the wires are soldered to the
ground lug on the underside of the base.
This completely solved my "intermittant contacts" problem!

More recently, my friend W4OV managed to find an unbuilt NorCal kit and
put it together.  He found he was
having the same problem with the contacts.  He also ordered a set of the
silvered relay contacts, but has yet
to install them.  But he did do the mod I described above, and it also
cured his problem.

--
73,     Bob Patten, N4BP                Plantation, FL

E-Mail: [hidden email]                   Website: http://www.qsl.net/n4bp
QRP ARCI #3412    SOC #1    ARS #799    Whiners #6   FISTS #7871

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

DeoxIT contact cleaner

Tom Hammond-3
One of the important points Caig Laboratories (the manufacturer) makes in
their directions is to USE LESS THEN you think you need. This stuff goes a
LONG way, and a SINGLE DROP is generally MORE THAN YOU NEED.

The $5.95 2 mL tube might last a lifetime at that rate.

They also sell Q-tip-type applicators, which help to limit the amount of
DeoxIT you take from the bottle and how much apply to the job. I've found
that using a regular Q-tip with about 90% of the cotton pulled off (to
leave just a small covering) seems to work pretty well. I've also used a
toothpick tip as an applicator with excellent results as well. The
watchword is use SPARINGLY.

Though I've not tried using it specifically, they offer an applicator
PEN  (7 mL) which appears to have a hard-felt-tipped applicator, which I'd
think would help the overexuberant user to mete out smaller amounts to such
applications as we might want to use it for.

NOTE: Caig offers much of the DeoxIT line in both 100% (100D) and 5% (5D)
dilutions. The 5% solution is supposedly for lightly oxidized contacts,
while the 100% is mentioned for more heavily 'grunged' contacts. The 5%
costs less, but might not be as widely available nor as widely usable for
the various applications we hams might want to make of it. I think I'd
still invest in the 100% solution (more is better, right?).. <G>

I bought the 25 mL squeeze bottle with needle applicator because I wanted
the pinpoint application ability. Having now used DeoxIT a couple times
(with good results by the way) I can see that I'd probably have been able
to save myself some $$ if I would have bought the 2 mL tube, or the 7 mL pen.

One final note - I'd NOT recommend investing in the spray can version of
DeoxIT... WAY too much opportunity for wasting this precious (price-wise)
stuff, when so little of it is really needed.

73,

Tom Hammond   N0SS

At 10:32 PM 6/9/04, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

>I had a similar experience with a 50-year old Speed-X semi-automatic key
>(bug), Bill. It has brass contacts. I was always "burnishing" the contacts
>every couple of days, especially the dot contacts, or they'd get
>intermittent. I put some DeOxit on them several months ago and they've
>worked perfectly ever since! Clearly the stuff leaves a coating that
>resists a film buildup.
>
>Ron AC7AC

Re: DeoxIT contact cleaner

Tom Mc
Hi gang.
  Does anyone know of a place (a chain store like Radio Shack, Circuit City,
etc.) that sells DeoxIT?  The web site that was posted lists the price at
$5.95 and the s/h at $7.50.  It's not that I'm a cheapskate (well maybe it
is), its just the principal of the thing (I'm sure thee $7.50 is a fair
representation of the cost to ship, don't get me wrong on that).

Anyway, if anyone knows of a place that carries the stuff that I can go it
pick it up, I;d appreciate the lead.

Tom
WB2QDG
Long Island
One thing I don't like about this country is that everyone gets to have his
own opinion on things!