Not necessarily an Elecraft subject!

capobs
Good evening, All.

I recently acquired a Vibroplex "Original" with the idea of learning to use it attached to my K3/100 [S/N 2802].  I need to slow it down until I can get the "gist" of it.  I can now work at 18-22 wpm with my Iambic.  But I wouldn't dare try to get on the air even at the "bugs" slowest speed adjustment which is in the range of 30 wpm.

I would like to buy, lease or borrow a Varispeed {for a round shaft] until I can get up to speed with my new toy.  They are no longer available from Vibroplex.

I'd like to hear from anyone having such a device.

Thanks & Best 73.

Jim.........
WA4NTM

PS - I truly appreciate being able to use my K3 as a "practice keyer".  You know, in the TEST mode.  Thanks all the guys & gals @ Elecraft and the design team.  What a fantastic machine which never ceases to amaze.

Re: Not necessarily an Elecraft subject!

Ken Kopp-3
It's crude, but you can wrap solder around the present weight,
or add the needed number of alligator clips ... maybe even
themselves weighted with solder.

Or a wooden clothes-pin or two.... (;-)

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
     [hidden email]
     http://tinyurl.com/7lm3m5

Re: Not necessarily an Elecraft subject!

Kevin Rock
All you need to do is increase the inertia of the swinging arm.  Solder turned around the end, an alligator clip, or a tiny magnet will do the trick.  As you grow more accustomed to using the bug your speed will increase and you can cut off some of the solder.
   73 and good luck!
       Kevin.  KD5ONS

>I recently acquired a Vibroplex "Original" with the idea of learning to use it attached to my K3/100 [S/N 2802].  I need to slow it down until I can get the "gist" of it.  I can now work at 18-22 wpm with my Iambic.  But I wouldn't dare try to get on the air even at the "bugs" slowest speed adjustment which is in the range of 30 wpm.

>I would like to buy, lease or borrow a Varispeed {for a round shaft] until I can get up to speed with my new toy.  They are no longer available from Vibroplex.

>I'd like to hear from anyone having such a device.

>Thanks & Best 73.

>Jim.........
>WA4NTM

>PS - I truly appreciate being able to use my K3 as a "practice keyer".  You know, in the TEST mode.  Thanks all the guys & gals @ Elecraft and the design team.  What a fantastic machine which never ceases to amaze.
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Not necessarily an Elecraft subject!

Bob Cunnings NW8L
If you can't find one, try using a 1/4" wire rope clamp with the legs
pointing "up". It's easily adjusted but stays in place when the nuts
are hand-tightened. I use one on an Original I've set up for slower
speeds. I lined the saddle of the clamp with a piece of vinyl
electrical tape so it doesn't scratch the shaft.

Bob NW8L

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 6:27 PM, James Harris<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good evening, All.
>
> I recently acquired a Vibroplex "Original" with the idea of learning to use it attached to my K3/100 [S/N 2802].  I need to slow it down until I can get the "gist" of it.  I can now work at 18-22 wpm with my Iambic.  But I wouldn't dare try to get on the air even at the "bugs" slowest speed adjustment which is in the range of 30 wpm.
>
> I would like to buy, lease or borrow a Varispeed {for a round shaft] until I can get up to speed with my new toy.  They are no longer available from Vibroplex.
>
> I'd like to hear from anyone having such a device.
>
> Thanks & Best 73.
>
> Jim.........
> WA4NTM
>
> PS - I truly appreciate being able to use my K3 as a "practice keyer".  You know, in the TEST mode.  Thanks all the guys & gals @ Elecraft and the design team.  What a fantastic machine which never ceases to amaze.

Re: Not necessarily an Elecraft subject!

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Not necessarily an Elecraft subject!

w7go
Another possibility:
http://extendadot.com/

73,
Tony W7GO

James Harris wrote:

> Good evening, All.
>
> I recently acquired a Vibroplex "Original" with the idea of learning to use it attached to my K3/100 [S/N 2802].  I need to slow it down until I can get the "gist" of it.  I can now work at 18-22 wpm with my Iambic.  But I wouldn't dare try to get on the air even at the "bugs" slowest speed adjustment which is in the range of 30 wpm.
>
> I would like to buy, lease or borrow a Varispeed {for a round shaft] until I can get up to speed with my new toy.  They are no longer available from Vibroplex.
>
> I'd like to hear from anyone having such a device.
>
> Thanks & Best 73.
>
> Jim.........
> WA4NTM
>
> PS - I truly appreciate being able to use my K3 as a "practice keyer".  You know, in the TEST mode.  Thanks all the guys & gals @ Elecraft and the design team.  What a fantastic machine which never ceases to amaze.

Re: Not necessarily an Elecraft subject!

k6dgw
James Harris wrote:

> I recently acquired a Vibroplex "Original" with the idea of learning
> to use it attached to my K3/100 [S/N 2802].  I need to slow it down
> until I can get the "gist" of it.

A problem endemic to all Vibroplex models.

> I would like to buy, lease or borrow a Varispeed {for a round shaft]
> until I can get up to speed with my new toy.  They are no longer
> available from Vibroplex.

Try radiomarine.org/historic-5.html for an interim solution until you
find a real Varispeed.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2009 Cal QSO Party  3-4 Oct 2009
- www.cqp.org

Re: Not necessarily an Elecraft subject!

Bob Nielsen-2
My first bug (in 1952) was a Vibroplex Champion.  I drilled a hole in
a small piece of flat steel and attached it with the weight
adjustment screw.  It didn't look that hot, but worked to get the
speed down to 5 WPM to work other Novices.

Bob, N7XY