Not sure my KX1 ATU is working correctly

Not sure my KX1 ATU is working correctly

James1787
Hi Folks,
I just finished putting together my KX1 with the ATU. I am having a problem with it on 20m when using it through my shack tuner (viking matchbox to a dipole up 60-70 ft). As the manual states, I place the tuner into CAL to bypass the tuner. The problem is that it seems kind of quiet. I listen to a loud S-9 signal on my IC-746pro and it is much quieter on the KX1. For kick's I placed it in the tuner-on setting and hit tune. It tuned for a seconds and now it's louder. I tapped the key and it went back to being quiet.
?
I didn't seem to notice this on 40m last night and made a few QSO's.
?
Just wondering where I might check to see that everything is ok. I wonder if C9 on the ATU is set correctly? With my DMM I was able to get the voltage down to almost zero.
?
Thanks & 73,
James KB2FCV

Re: Not sure my KX1 ATU is working correctly

Don Wilhelm-4
James,

I am not sure from your prblem description whether you have a KX1
receiver problem or a KXAT1 problem or some sort of setup problem with
your shack tuner.

First thing to do is to peak the KX1 receiver front end, and you remove
the tuner (put the jumper in) and connect it to a signal generator or to
an antenna that presents close to a 50 ohm load.

Do the following things in order:
You have a shack tuner, so I suggest you set it for a 1:1 SWR - you can
do that with another transmitter or with an antenna analyzer - set it up
first for 20 meters.

Once you have a 50 ohm signal source connected to the KX1 input, peak
the 20A and 20B trimmers for the maximum output from the KX1.   Re-tune
your shack tuner to 40 meters, then connect the KX1 and peak the 40
meter trimmer - it must be done in that band order, reversing it will
only lead to frustration.

After having done that, you can remove the jumper and install the KXAT1
and set ATU to CAL
First connect a good 50 ohm dummy load and balance (null) the wattmeter
with the trimmer capacitor.  If you can obtain a good low millivolts
reading, that is good - above .010 volts is bad, below .003 volts may be
the best you can do.

With the KXAT1 still in CAL, again tune your shack tuner to 50 ohms on
20 - now you can compare the KX1 receive with you other receiver.  Then
set the ATU menu to "tun" and it should tune to less than 1.2 and you
should still be able to hear signals at the same level as before

Switch your shack tuner to 40 meters and do the same as you did on 20.

After doing that, if you still have a problem, ask again.

On 1/2/2012 12:34 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I just finished putting together my KX1 with the ATU. I am having a problem with it on 20m when using it through my shack tuner (viking matchbox to a dipole up 60-70 ft). As the manual states, I place the tuner into CAL to bypass the tuner. The problem is that it seems kind of quiet. I listen to a loud S-9 signal on my IC-746pro and it is much quieter on the KX1. For kick's I placed it in the tuner-on setting and hit tune. It tuned for a seconds and now it's louder. I tapped the key and it went back to being quiet.
> ?
> I didn't seem to notice this on 40m last night and made a few QSO's.
> ?
> Just wondering where I might check to see that everything is ok. I wonder if C9 on the ATU is set correctly? With my DMM I was able to get the voltage down to almost zero.
> ?
> Thanks&  73,

Re: Not sure my KX1 ATU is working correctly

James1787
Hi Don,
I followed your instructions and did the following:
I removed my ATU from the KX1 and put the jumper in place.
With my shack tuner, using my Icom I tuned it for a perfectly?flat SWR on 20 meters.
I moved the coax from my Icom to my KX1.
I peaked the 20a and 20b trimmers
I moved the coax back to my icom and tuned the shack tuner for 40 meters
I moved the coax back to my KX1 and peaked the 40 trimmer
I removed the jumper in the KX1 and re-installed the ATU and set it to CAL.
I connected the KX1 to my dummy load (Bird ERI-003F 150 watt 50 ohm dummy load)
I changed bands on the KX1 to 20m
I proceeded to adjust trimmer capacitor C9.
I was able to get the voltage to .000 (it had a range from about 2.9 volts and bottomed out at .000).
The power meter was only showing about 2.8 watts and the SWR showed 1.0
I connected my icom back up and re-tuned the antenna for 20m
I moved the coax from my icom back to my kx1.
With the KX1 still in cal, I pressed tune. Now the power was showing about 1.9 watts and 9.9 (infinite) SWR.
I moved the from the KX1 to my icom and tuned the antenna for 40m.
I changed bands on the KX1 to 40m
I moved the antenna from my icom back to the kx1 and made sure it was stil on CAL. I pressed tune and it was showing 2.9 watts out and 1.0 swr.
?
These are the results. I'm not sure if I was supposed to see it dip to .000 volts or not.
It definitely appears the issue is something with 20m. I wish I had a wattmeter for QRP to see what the power/swr was doing without the ATU on 20m.
Also, I have a 13.8 volt supply connected, 3 watts sounds a bit low?
?
73,
James KB2FCV
?

 I am not sure from your prblem description whether you have a KX1
 receiver problem or a KXAT1 problem or some sort of setup problem with
 your shack tuner.

 First thing to do is to peak the KX1 receiver front end, and you remove
 the tuner (put the jumper in) and connect it to a signal generator or to
 an antenna that presents close to a 50 ohm load.

 Do the following things in order:
 You have a shack tuner, so I suggest you set it for a 1:1 SWR - you can
 do that with another transmitter or with an antenna analyzer - set it up
 first for 20 meters.

 Once you have a 50 ohm signal source connected to the KX1 input, peak
 the 20A and 20B trimmers for the maximum output from the KX1.   Re-tune
 your shack tuner to 40 meters, then connect the KX1 and peak the 40
 meter trimmer - it must be done in that band order, reversing it will
 only lead to frustration.

 After having done that, you can remove the jumper and install the KXAT1
 and set ATU to CAL
 First connect a good 50 ohm dummy load and balance (null) the wattmeter
 with the trimmer capacitor.  If you can obtain a good low millivolts
 reading, that is good - above .010 volts is bad, below .003 volts may be
 the best you can do.

 With the KXAT1 still in CAL, again tune your shack tuner to 50 ohms on
 20 - now you can compare the KX1 receive with you other receiver.  Then
 set the ATU menu to "tun" and it should tune to less than 1.2 and you
 should still be able to hear signals at the same level as before

 Switch your shack tuner to 40 meters and do the same as you did on 20.

 After doing that, if you still have a problem, ask again.

 On 1/2/2012 12:34 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
 > Hi Folks,
 > I just finished putting together my KX1 with the ATU. I am having a problem
 with it on 20m when using it through my shack tuner (viking matchbox to a dipole
 up 60-70 ft). As the manual states, I place the tuner into CAL to bypass the
 tuner. The problem is that it seems kind of quiet. I listen to a loud S-9 signal
 on my IC-746pro and it is much quieter on the KX1. For kick's I placed it in the
 tuner-on setting and hit tune. It tuned for a seconds and now it's louder. I
 tapped the key and it went back to being quiet.
 > ?
 > I didn't seem to notice this on 40m last night and made a few QSO's.
 > ?
 > Just wondering where I might check to see that everything is ok. I wonder if
 C9 on the ATU is set correctly? With my DMM I was able to get the voltage down
 to almost zero.
 > ?
 > Thanks&  73,

Re: Not sure my KX1 ATU is working correctly

Don Wilhelm-4
James,

There is nothing band dependent about the tuner - especially in CAL mode
where all the L and C is bypassed.
Try the test on 20 meters again.
There are times when the KX1 "glitches" on an SWR reading, so if you see
9.9 SWR try it again.
Also check your coax connections - make certain your cables are OK,
especially if you are using adapters - make certain both male and female
UHF connectors are tight (they depend on being tight for the shield
path, BNC and N connectors do not have that dependency).

Another thing to consider - is the KX1 BNC connector well soldered on
the ground side - it takes a LOT of heat (and time) to make a good
solder connection between that connector and the board ground.  Make
certain you apply heat (use a large iron tip if possible) and be sure
the solder actually flows instead of just being "pasted on".  If there
is a bad connection at that BNC jack, it could explain an occasional SWR
= 9.9 indication.

On 1/2/2012 3:22 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Don,
> I followed your instructions and did the following:
> I removed my ATU from the KX1 and put the jumper in place.
> With my shack tuner, using my Icom I tuned it for a perfectly flat SWR
> on 20 meters.
> I moved the coax from my Icom to my KX1.
> I peaked the 20a and 20b trimmers
> I moved the coax back to my icom and tuned the shack tuner for 40 meters
> I moved the coax back to my KX1 and peaked the 40 trimmer
> I removed the jumper in the KX1 and re-installed the ATU and set it to
> CAL.
> I connected the KX1 to my dummy load (Bird ERI-003F 150 watt 50 ohm
> dummy load)
> I changed bands on the KX1 to 20m
> I proceeded to adjust trimmer capacitor C9.
> I was able to get the voltage to .000 (it had a range from about 2.9
> volts and bottomed out at .000).
> The power meter was only showing about 2.8 watts and the SWR showed 1.0
> I connected my icom back up and re-tuned the antenna for 20m
> I moved the coax from my icom back to my kx1.
> With the KX1 still in cal, I pressed tune. Now the power was showing
> about 1.9 watts and 9.9 (infinite) SWR.
> I moved the from the KX1 to my icom and tuned the antenna for 40m.
> I changed bands on the KX1 to 40m
> I moved the antenna from my icom back to the kx1 and made sure it was
> stil on CAL. I pressed tune and it was showing 2.9 watts out and 1.0 swr.
> These are the results. I'm not sure if I was supposed to see it dip to
> .000 volts or not.
> It definitely appears the issue is something with 20m. I wish I had a
> wattmeter for QRP to see what the power/swr was doing without the ATU
> on 20m.
> Also, I have a 13.8 volt supply connected, 3 watts sounds a bit low?
> 73,
> James KB2FCV

Good suggestion on the cables.. I swapped them out and whatever I did, it now shows a nice flat SWR on 20m. Perhaps something was loose or maybe the patch cable I was using as seen better days.
?
Any idea why it might be showing 3 watts out as opposed to 4? Not that it makes much difference, just worked Serbia, Sardinia and Croatia with 3 watts :)
?
73 & thanks,
?
James KB2FCV

[...]
 and install the KXAT1     and set ATU to CAL    First connect a good 50 ohm dummy load and balance (null) the wattmeter     with the trimmer capacitor.  If you can obtain a good low millivolts     reading, that is good - above .010 volts is bad, below .003 volts may be     the best you can do.        With the KXAT1 still in CAL, again tune your shack tuner to 50 ohms on     20 - now you can compare the KX1 receive with you other receiver.  Then     set the ATU menu to "tun" and it should tune to less than 1.2 and you     should still be able to hear signals at the same level as before        Switch your shack tuner to 40 meters and do the same as you did on 20.        After doing that, if you still have a problem, ask again.        On 1/2/2012 12:34 PM, [hidden email] wrote:    &gt; Hi Folks,    &gt; I just finished putting together my KX1 with the ATU. I am having a problem     with it on 20m when using it through my shack tuner (viking matchbox to a dipole     up 60-70
 ft). As the manual states, I place the tuner into CAL to bypass the     tuner. The problem is that it seems kind of quiet. I listen to a loud S-9 signal     on my IC-746pro and it is much quieter on the KX1. For kick's I placed it in the     tuner-on setting and hit tune. It tuned for a seconds and now it's louder. I     tapped the key and it went back to being quiet.    &gt; ?    &gt; I didn't seem to notice this on 40m last night and made a few QSO's.    &gt; ?    &gt; Just wondering where I might check to see that everything is ok. I wonder if     C9 on the ATU is set correctly? With my DMM I was able to get the voltage down     to almost zero.    &gt; ?    &gt; Thanks&  73,    &gt;

Re: Not sure my KX1 ATU is working correctly

Don Wilhelm-4
James,

Very glad to hear that.  3 watts as opposed to 4 is not that much
different.  The collective gains of Q4, Q5 and Q6 may be to blame.  If
you would like to boost it a bit, you could put in the KX1 Power Mod
resistor changes.