OT: Is the Elecraft Reflector List Secure?

OT: Is the Elecraft Reflector List Secure?

Kevin Luxford
Hi Guys,

I have recently received a spam using the address that I only use for
mail to and from the Elecraft reflector.  So I am wondering if the list
of email addresses is secure.  Anyone else have this problem?  Anything
that can be done about it?

73
Kevin
VK3DAP / ZL2DAP

Re: OT: Is the Elecraft Reflector List Secure?

Julian, G4ILO
Kevin Luxford wrote
I have recently received a spam using the address that I only use for
mail to and from the Elecraft reflector.  So I am wondering if the list
of email addresses is secure.  Anyone else have this problem?  Anything
that can be done about it?
The reflector itself probably is, but the various archives of it aren't. I did a Google search for my email address, inside quotes, and it came up in various Nabble postings. In addition, there have been a couple of instances recently where list members had their computers compromised, and if they contained copies of your postings containing your email address it could have been harvested by the malware.

It just isn't possible to use email and keep an address secure, I'm afraid.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: OT: Is the Elecraft Reflector List Secure?

Ingo Meyer, DK3RED
Hello Kevin

> I have recently received a spam using the address that I only use for
> mail to and from the Elecraft reflector.  So I am wondering if the
> list of email addresses is secure.  Anyone else have this problem?
> Anything that can be done about it?

The list is ASAP (as secure as possible). The problem are the
recipients. If only one PC is kidnapped, the bad boys know the email
adresses there, also if it is not in the adress book. And if you wrote
sometimes a message to the list, the guy know also you adress.

72/73 de Ingo, DK3RED - Don't forget: the fun is the power!

Re: OT: Is the Elecraft Reflector List Secure?

Bob Naumann W5OV
Kevin,

The thought that you can do anything to totally avoid ever getting a SPAM
email - short of never sending out an email yourself is just not realistic.

Use a good spam filter along with up to date virus protection and ignore
them.

73,

Bob W5OV

Re: OT: Is the Elecraft Reflector List Secure?

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Nabble hides the email addresses of senders, but the QTH.net archive which has been there since the list begin, does not.

Leigh/WA5ZNU

Re: OT: Is the Elecraft Reflector List Secure?

Julian, G4ILO
Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU wrote
Nabble hides the email addresses of senders
Yes it hides the email address of senders, but not if it appears in the text that someone quotes. And some people use email clients that quote like: "Fred, G9ABC (g9abc@gmail.com) said: ..."

It used to be only death and taxes that were inevitable. Now it's death, taxes and spam.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: OT: Is the Elecraft Reflector List Secure?

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
Interesting.  That's not what I see.  I wonder what conditions cause
nabble to cloak the addreses behind links and what conditions disclose
them.

For example, in this message, it ironically cloaks the addresses:
http://n2.nabble.com/Email-addresses-td4481606.html#a4481606

Leigh/WA5ZNU

> Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU wrote:
>>
>> Nabble hides the email addresses of senders
>>

> Yes it hides the email address of senders, but not if it appears in the
> text
> that someone quotes. And some people use email clients that quote like:
> "Fred, G9ABC ([hidden email]) said: ..."
>
> It used to be only death and taxes that were inevitable. Now it's death,
> taxes and spam.
>
> -----
> Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
> * G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
> * KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
> * KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: OT: Is the Elecraft Reflector List Secure?

Julian, G4ILO
I don't know. Look at this one,
http://n2.nabble.com/K3-and-FSK-RTTY-td459747.html at the bottom of
the page the reply from Simon Brown. Google finds my address in
several Nabble pages.

On 09/02/2010, Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU [via Elecraft]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting.  That's not what I see.  I wonder what conditions cause
> nabble to cloak the addreses behind links and what conditions disclose
> them.
>
> For example, in this message, it ironically cloaks the addresses:
> http://n2.nabble.com/Email-addresses-td4481606.html#a4481606
>
> Leigh/WA5ZNU
>>

>> Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU wrote:
>>>
>>> Nabble hides the email addresses of senders
>>>

>> Yes it hides the email address of senders, but not if it appears in the
>> text
>> that someone quotes. And some people use email clients that quote like:
>> "Fred, G9ABC ([hidden email]) said: ..."
>>
>> It used to be only death and taxes that were inevitable. Now it's death,
>> taxes and spam.
>>
>> -----
>> Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
>> * G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com