OT: Kenwood's new rig?

Ken G Kopp
TS-990S - To be unveiled at Dayton?

http://www.cqdx.ru/ham/new-equipment/ts-990_picture/

Re: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

Bob K6UJ
Yes Kenwoods new TS-990S is expected to be unveiled at Dayton.
A picture and information about the TS-990S is on the on the back of the June 2012 QST

http://qrper.com/2012/05/kenwood-publishes-first-photo-of-the-kenwood-ts-990s/

(If interested in discussing further, there is a Yahoo group for the 990 now. )

73,
Bob
K6UJ

On May 8, 2012, at 7:19 PM, Ken G Kopp wrote:

> TS-990S - To be unveiled at Dayton?
>
> http://www.cqdx.ru/ham/new-equipment/ts-990_picture/

Re: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

k4tmc

 Regardless of how well it performs, a lot of people will want it for the number of front panel controls.  This must be a new record!

73,
Henry - K4TMC

Yes Kenwoods new TS-990S is expected to be unveiled at Dayton.
A picture and information about the TS-990S is on the on the back of the June
2012 QST

http://qrper.com/2012/05/kenwood-publishes-first-photo-of-the-kenwood-ts-990s/

(If interested in discussing further, there is a Yahoo group for the 990 now. )

73,
Bob
K6UJ

On May 8, 2012, at 7:19 PM, Ken G Kopp wrote:

> TS-990S - To be unveiled at Dayton?
>
> http://www.cqdx.ru/ham/new-equipment/ts-990_picture/

Re: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

M0XDF
I had to count the controls 4 times! I 'think' there are 140 individual controls on there - and that’s before we get to the menus !!!!

There used to be a Phillips ad on UK TV, where the buyer was only interest in the stereo system if it had lots of 'Functions' !

73 de David, M0XDF

On 9 May 2012, at 10:43, [hidden email] wrote:

> Regardless of how well it performs, a lot of people will want it for the number of front panel controls.  This must be a new record!
>
> http://qrper.com/2012/05/kenwood-publishes-first-photo-of-the-kenwood-ts-990s/

Re: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

hf4me
Comes with a case of contact cleaner, right?  73, de Jim KG0KP

I had to count the controls 4 times! I 'think' there are 140 individual
controls on there - and that’s before we get to the menus !!!!

There used to be a Phillips ad on UK TV, where the buyer was only interest
in the stereo system if it had lots of 'Functions' !

73 de David, M0XDF

On 9 May 2012, at 10:43, [hidden email] wrote:

> Regardless of how well it performs, a lot of people will want it for the
> number of front panel controls.  This must be a new record!
>
> http://qrper.com/2012/05/kenwood-publishes-first-photo-of-the-kenwood-ts-990s/

Fw: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

VE3GNO Daniel
without Rob Sherwood stamp nobody will spend big $$$ for colored displays. So far nobody knows what is ethernet port is doing...web server? sip+codec? or just firmware upgrade. Also why 2 USB's...is one possible to be used for a keyboard? Hopefully next week we'll have some answers

VE3GNO Daniel

________________________________
Regardless of how well it performs, a lot of people will want it for the number of front panel controls.  This must be a new record!

73,
Henry - K4TMC

Yes Kenwoods new TS-990S is expected to be
 unveiled at Dayton.
A picture and information about the TS-990S is on the on the back of the June
2012 QST

http://qrper.com/2012/05/kenwood-publishes-first-photo-of-the-kenwood-ts-990s/

(If interested in discussing further, there is a Yahoo group for the 990 now. )

73,
Bob
K6UJ

On May 8, 2012, at 7:19 PM, Ken G Kopp wrote:

> TS-990S - To be unveiled at Dayton?
>
> http://www.cqdx.ru/ham/new-equipment/ts-990_picture/

Re: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

N0AZZ
I was just counting the buttons and dial on the front of my FTDX-5000MP a
total of 89. If you include the scope and speakers there are adjustments for
both with them add 5 more. For the life of me I can't think of a need for
any more buttons than what are on this radio. Once the radio has been setup
the first time and the EQ setup for your voice and perimeters set I think I
have been into the menus maybe 2 dozen times in 2 years.

One bad thing about the Kenwood is the buttons are very small on the Yaesu
much larger I have big fingers it would be a problem for me. But to stick
another 50 buttons on the front of my radio I would have never bought it.

73,

Fred/N0AZZ

Yes Kenwoods new TS-990S is expected to be unveiled at Dayton.
A picture and information about the TS-990S is on the on the back of the
June
2012 QST

http://qrper.com/2012/05/kenwood-publishes-first-photo-of-the-kenwood-ts-990
s/

(If interested in discussing further, there is a Yahoo group for the 990
now. )

73,
Bob
K6UJ

On May 8, 2012, at 7:19 PM, Ken G Kopp wrote:

> TS-990S - To be unveiled at Dayton?
>
> http://www.cqdx.ru/ham/new-equipment/ts-990_picture/

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: Fw: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

Nate Bargmann
* On 2012 09 May 05:28 -0500, VE3GNO Daniel wrote:
> without Rob Sherwood stamp nobody will spend big $$$ for colored displays.

I beg to differ.  I have seen plenty of postings that indicate a fair
number are wanting a "high end" Kenwood for their shack and I think
plenty will plunk down a deposit next weekend even though it is still
almost sight unseen.

It's almost comical reading the various forums where there seems to be a
thought of "anything but a K3" amongst some.  I have no doubt that
Kenwood will sell plenty '990s just as they have '590s.

Not to be snide, but the picture made me think I was looking at an Icom!

> So far nobody knows what is ethernet port is doing...web server? sip+codec? or just firmware upgrade. Also why 2 USB's...is one possible to be used for a keyboard? Hopefully next week we'll have some answers

Apparently there won't be a real box to play with.  From what I've read
the disply will be a mock-up with no elecronics inside.  Of course, that
information is a few weeks old by this point.

73, de Nate, N0NB >>

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: Fw: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

Roger de Valle
I have to agree with you Nate, I love my Elecraft k3 but I also love my
TS2000 and have always had a high regard for Kenwood, they have not made
much in the way of rubbish over the years. I suspect there is plenty of room
the market for high end Kenwood, particularly if they can do the CAT stuff
as well as the TS2000,

Roger VK3ADE

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: Fw: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

N0AZZ
Your correct to this point it's still vapor ware no published findings or
even FCC approval yet. I also think that QST and Sherwood's reports will
make or break this radio as they have with all other high end radios. The
first reports will be published in Japan well ahead of here like the Yaesu
one's did with the 5000 4 mo before here. I will be compared to the FT-5000,
K3, and Flex 5000 pretty much in that order in rankings as they are
published and see where it falls.

As we all know it has a tough row to hoe with that lineup and those who do
purchase we will see if they sell them as quickly as they have the TS-590s
which I have seen even cheaper than a used TS-2000. Numbers change almost
daily in the radio market what was on top one day could fall the next just
one of those facts will look forward to see the numbers on the 990.

73,

Fred/N0AZZ

* On 2012 09 May 05:28 -0500, VE3GNO Daniel wrote:
> without Rob Sherwood stamp nobody will spend big $$$ for colored displays.

I beg to differ.  I have seen plenty of postings that indicate a fair number
are wanting a "high end" Kenwood for their shack and I think plenty will
plunk down a deposit next weekend even though it is still almost sight
unseen.

It's almost comical reading the various forums where there seems to be a
thought of "anything but a K3" amongst some.  I have no doubt that Kenwood
will sell plenty '990s just as they have '590s.

Not to be snide, but the picture made me think I was looking at an Icom!

> So far nobody knows what is ethernet port is doing...web server?
> sip+codec? or just firmware upgrade. Also why 2 USB's...is one
> possible to be used for a keyboard? Hopefully next week we'll have
> some answers

Apparently there won't be a real box to play with.  From what I've read the
disply will be a mock-up with no elecronics inside.  Of course, that
information is a few weeks old by this point.

73, de Nate, N0NB >>

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true."

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

VE3GNO Daniel
Jezz....crazzzy world...more buttons means more performance loool. What's next 3D LCD display with espresso machine build in the radio? Don't wanna go more with paranoia...but I don't resist...a little blue ray recorder maybe :-)))
Let me tell you guys, something that none of the big 3's K,Y,I won't be ever able to offer us...customer support like Elecraft...regardless how many bags of buttons and to go further with confessions, that's why I stick with Elecraft

VE3GNO Daniel

________________________________

Yes Kenwoods new TS-990S is expected to be unveiled at Dayton.
A picture and information about the TS-990S is on the on the back of the
June
2012 QST

http://qrper.com/2012/05/kenwood-publishes-first-photo-of-the-kenwood-ts-990
s/

(If interested in discussing further, there is a Yahoo group for the 990
now. )

73,
Bob
K6UJ

On May 8, 2012, at 7:19 PM, Ken G Kopp wrote:

> TS-990S - To be unveiled at Dayton?
>
> http://www.cqdx.ru/ham/new-equipment/ts-990_picture/

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

drewko
Looking at the TS990s it seems I  have set up my K3 band buttons in a
sequence that could not be more different (vertical columns, high freq
to low, WARC bands segregated in righthand column; though 6m is the
same button on both...). Not sure I could get used to the sequence on
the TS-990, so guess I'll stick with my K3, hahah..

I think they have jumped the shark with these 100+ button rigs. At
this point if the legends on my K3 controls disappeared I would hardly
miss them. Not sure I'd ever reach that level of operational ease with
one of these button farm rigs.

It would be nice to have a built-in PSU, but that feature doesn't
matter much with stationary rigs that aren't going to budge from the
time they are unpacked to the time they are traded. A built-in PS
would be a lot more appealing in a grab-and-go portable rig.

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Wed, 09 May 2012 05:06:00 -0700 (PDT), VE3GNO Daniel wrote:

>Jezz....crazzzy world...more buttons means more performance loool. What's next 3D LCD display with espresso machine build in the radio? Don't wanna go more with paranoia...but I don't resist...a little blue ray recorder maybe :-)))
>Let me tell you guys, something that none of the big 3's K,Y,I won't be ever able to offer us...customer support like Elecraft...regardless how many bags of buttons and to go further with confessions, that's why I stick with Elecraft
>
>VE3GNO Daniel

Re: Fw: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

VE3GNO Daniel
Guys,

I want to ring the bell to ham comunity abt new fancy radios with LED/OLED displays. In the last half year or so I've seen on FT5K forum lots of people complaining abt OLED display failure and I owne one...that scare me a lot. Being involved in R&D for over 20 years mostly in enterprise telecom I've notticed in the last year a massive invation of consumer grade  components into the enterprise/professional grade equipement. Starting with near suicide initiative BYOD (bring your own "crappy" device at work) an going forward with cost reduction lifecycle- a mandatory step in any lifecycle product, the MTBF of most critical components, like displays, encoders, mechanical components, start falling down dramatically. When you spend  few hundred bucks for a smartphone that anyway sooner or later in max 2 years you'll change it is not so severe but when you spend 5K+++ for a radio and after 2 years your displays are going down and guess what? that display
 is already obsolate part that scares me a lot. I am so happy the K3 does NOT have any tft/lcd/led display build in and I hope the next K line generation will avoid this big mistake of embedding displays in the radio and will stay like this. Just my 2 cents regarding new fancy color tv transceiver from kenwood. I have a strange feeling that we won't see aging this new transceivers generation on our desk and will become a consumer product like a coffee maker or toaster....so sad

VE3GNO Daniel

________________________________

* On 2012 09 May 05:28 -0500, VE3GNO Daniel wrote:
> without Rob Sherwood stamp nobody will spend big $$$ for colored displays.

I beg to differ.  I have seen plenty of postings that indicate a fair number
are wanting a "high end" Kenwood for their shack and I think plenty will
plunk down a deposit next weekend even though it is still almost sight
unseen.

It's almost comical reading the various forums where there seems to be a
thought of "anything but a K3" amongst some.  I have no doubt that Kenwood
will sell plenty '990s just as they have '590s.

Not to be snide, but the picture made me think I was looking at an Icom!

> So far nobody knows what is ethernet port is doing...web server?
> sip+codec? or just firmware upgrade. Also why 2 USB's...is one
> possible to be used for a keyboard? Hopefully next week we'll have
> some answers

Apparently there won't be a real box to play with.  From what I've read the
disply will be a mock-up with no elecronics inside.  Of course, that
information is a few weeks old by this point.

73, de Nate, N0NB >>

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true."

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: Fw: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

N0AZZ
Well 26 months and still counting and not a single glitch with my FT-5000,
never know about tomorrow. But that can happen with a Rolls Royce or a
Volkswagen. I don't care what it is components fail all radios can have that
faults no one's left out in that either.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ

* On 2012 09 May 05:28 -0500, VE3GNO Daniel wrote:
> without Rob Sherwood stamp nobody will spend big $$$ for colored displays.

I beg to differ.  I have seen plenty of postings that indicate a fair number
are wanting a "high end" Kenwood for their shack and I think plenty will
plunk down a deposit next weekend even though it is still almost sight
unseen.

It's almost comical reading the various forums where there seems to be a
thought of "anything but a K3" amongst some.  I have no doubt that Kenwood
will sell plenty '990s just as they have '590s.

Not to be snide, but the picture made me think I was looking at an Icom!

> So far nobody knows what is ethernet port is doing...web server?
> sip+codec? or just firmware upgrade. Also why 2 USB's...is one
> possible to be used for a keyboard? Hopefully next week we'll have
> some answers

Apparently there won't be a real box to play with.  From what I've read the
disply will be a mock-up with no elecronics inside.  Of course, that
information is a few weeks old by this point.

73, de Nate, N0NB >>

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true."

-----
No virus found in this message.

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

Jim Low man
I've been a knob, switch and button junkie from an early age,
but cannot fathom how there could be 140 controls on an
amateur transceiver.  Not disputing your count, David, but
I'd like to see a larger version of a photo of the front panel
so that the function of each control can be identified.

Certainly, that's more controls than on a commercial
broadcast transmitter.  In fact, the only piece of electronic
gear that I can recall working on that had more adjustments
was one channel of a redundant air traffic control radar
system, with about 200.  That was in my Air Force days,
circa 1971-75, before solid-state replacements and
computer interfaces took over.

73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 5/9/2012 2:59 AM, David Ferrington, M0XDF wrote:
> I had to count the controls 4 times! I 'think' there are 140 individual controls on there - and that’s before we get to the menus !!!!
>
> There used to be a Phillips ad on UK TV, where the buyer was only interest in the stereo system if it had lots of 'Functions' !
>
> 73 de David, M0XDF

Re: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

Bob K6UJ
"QRX 10 minutes OM, I have to adjust my TS-990"         :-)

Bob
K6UJ

On May 9, 2012, at 2:27 PM, Jim Lowman wrote:

> I've been a knob, switch and button junkie from an early age,
> but cannot fathom how there could be 140 controls on an
> amateur transceiver.  Not disputing your count, David, but
> I'd like to see a larger version of a photo of the front panel
> so that the function of each control can be identified.
>
> Certainly, that's more controls than on a commercial
> broadcast transmitter.  In fact, the only piece of electronic
> gear that I can recall working on that had more adjustments
> was one channel of a redundant air traffic control radar
> system, with about 200.  That was in my Air Force days,
> circa 1971-75, before solid-state replacements and
> computer interfaces took over.
>
> 73 de Jim - AD6CW
>
> On 5/9/2012 2:59 AM, David Ferrington, M0XDF wrote:
>> I had to count the controls 4 times! I 'think' there are 140 individual controls on there - and that’s before we get to the menus !!!!
>>
>> There used to be a Phillips ad on UK TV, where the buyer was only interest in the stereo system if it had lots of 'Functions' !
>>
>> 73 de David, M0XDF

Re: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

k6dgw
In the late 60's, the Exchange at Clark AB in the Philippines carried
quite a bit of Japanese stereo gear.  We called it "Tokyo By Night,"
because the front panels resembled the Ginza.  That sort of faded.
Possibly it's being reincarnated in ham gear.

INT QKK: "How many knobs[or controls] does your radio have?"
QKK 50: "My radio has 50 knobs [or controls]."

INT QKU: "How many of those do you know how to use?"
QKU 4: "I know how to use 4 of them."

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

On 5/9/2012 2:43 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Regardless of how well it performs, a lot of people will want it for
> the number of front panel controls.  This must be a new record!

Re: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

M0XDF
THe link given http://www.cqdx.ru/ham/new-equipment/ts-990_picture/
gives you a reasonable picture, click the picture and it's its possible to see individual controls.
On a Mac, you can ctrl-scroll to increase the magnification of the screen by significant amounts - I can not only see each function, but can read light blue and grey text on the display and each mark on the meter.

I counted 'double-pots' concentric knobs as two controls, but that only added 11 controls.

73 de David, M0XDF

On 9 May 2012, at 22:27, Jim Lowman wrote:

> I've been a knob, switch and button junkie from an early age,
> but cannot fathom how there could be 140 controls on an
> amateur transceiver.  Not disputing your count, David, but
> I'd like to see a larger version of a photo of the front panel
> so that the function of each control can be identified.
>
> Certainly, that's more controls than on a commercial
> broadcast transmitter.  In fact, the only piece of electronic
> gear that I can recall working on that had more adjustments
> was one channel of a redundant air traffic control radar
> system, with about 200.  That was in my Air Force days,
> circa 1971-75, before solid-state replacements and
> computer interfaces took over.
>
> 73 de Jim - AD6CW
>
> On 5/9/2012 2:59 AM, David Ferrington, M0XDF wrote:
>> I had to count the controls 4 times! I 'think' there are 140 individual controls on there - and that’s before we get to the menus !!!!
>>
>> There used to be a Phillips ad on UK TV, where the buyer was only interest in the stereo system if it had lots of 'Functions' !
>>
>> 73 de David, M0XDF

Re: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

Rick Stealey

I don't know if this is true or not, but I hear there is a "simulator" being
developed by Kenwood.  Sort of like an airliner simulator.  Before you are
"authorized" or "certified" to sit at the controls of a 990 on the air you have
to take a class and spend time in the simulator.  When you graduate you
are then permitted to buy one and operate.  After major firmware upgrades
you might have to re-certify.  I also hear that pins will be awarded and
will be highly prized and worn on your cap, alongside your DXCC Honor Roll
pin.  "TS-990 Certified - level 3" etc.

Rick K2XT

> Certainly, that's more controls than on a commercial
> broadcast transmitter.  In fact, the only piece of electronic
> gear that I can recall working on that had more adjustments
> was one channel of a redundant air traffic control radar
> system, with about 200.

Re: Fw: OT: Kenwood's new rig?

Mike Reublin
What separates a company whose product has failures (and you're right,
they all can) is how that failure is remediated. NOBODY beats Elecraft!

73, Mike NF4L