[OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

[OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

Julian, G4ILO
Apologies for the OT question but I'm at my wits end. I just bought a new computer for the shack and find that I can't install my SB Live 24 card that I kept from the old one because it doesn't have PCI Slots. Instead, it has what I've been told are PCI Express slots. Even my local computer shop hadn't heard of a PC without PCI slots, and said PCI EXpress is only for graphics cards. But that can't be right as the computer has 4 of them, 3 short ones which are PCIe x1 and one long one which is PCIe x16.

The built in Realtek sound card has all kinds of controls for special effects, karaoke etc. but I can't find an option for "look, just convert it to digital as accurately as possible and don't mess with it." In any case, I really want to use the internal board for normal audio as it has front panel sockets for headphones etc. which is why I had the second sound card. However when I search for PCI Express sound cards they are all pretty expensive. The cheapest seems to be an Asus Xonar DX 7.1. I admit the DX part sounds promising, but it still has these special effects features and outputs for subwoofers and so on none of which I need.

What's a guy who just wants to work digital modes to do? A few years ago you could buy a 16-bit ISA sound card for 15 quid. Surely we don't all have to go out and splash £200 on a RigExpert or MicroHam now? Someone suggested I got a "cheap USB audio device" but how cheap is OK? You can buy these things on eBay for $2, I kid you not, but I bought one once and tossed it after 5 minutes it was so bad.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had this problem and solved it satisfactorily because I'm getting withdrawal symptoms not being able to work digimodes. Is it just me, or is technology getting way too complicated?
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: [OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

Don Wilhelm-4
Julian,

Sorry to hear about your dilemma, but in the modern computer hardware
world the state of things is best described in the words of Bob Dylan -
"The Times, They Are a-Changing".

Julian, G4ILO wrote:

> Apologies for the OT question but I'm at my wits end. I just bought a new
> computer for the shack and find that I can't install my SB Live 24 card that
> I kept from the old one because it doesn't have PCI Slots. Instead, it has
> what I've been told are PCI Express slots. Even my local computer shop
> hadn't heard of a PC without PCI slots, and said PCI EXpress is only for
> graphics cards. But that can't be right as the computer has 4 of them, 3
> short ones which are PCIe x1 and one long one which is PCIe x16.
>
> The built in Realtek sound card has all kinds of controls for special
> effects, karaoke etc. but I can't find an option for "look, just convert it
> to digital as accurately as possible and don't mess with it." In any case, I
> really want to use the internal board for normal audio as it has front panel
> sockets for headphones etc. which is why I had the second sound card.
> However when I search for PCI Express sound cards they are all pretty
> expensive. The cheapest seems to be an Asus Xonar DX 7.1. I admit the DX
> part sounds promising, but it still has these special effects features and
> outputs for subwoofers and so on none of which I need.
>
> What's a guy who just wants to work digital modes to do? A few years ago you
> could buy a 16-bit ISA sound card for 15 quid. Surely we don't all have to
> go out and splash £200 on a RigExpert or MicroHam now? Someone suggested I
> got a "cheap USB audio device" but how cheap is OK? You can buy these things
> on eBay for $2, I kid you not, but I bought one once and tossed it after 5
> minutes it was so bad.
>
> I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had this problem and solved it
> satisfactorily because I'm getting withdrawal symptoms not being able to
> work digimodes. Is it just me, or is technology getting way too complicated?

Re: [OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

Matt Zilmer
You might want to try the Creative EMU-0202 or that series.  Very fine
audio, and it sits on the USB bus.  No slots required, but it would
take up some desk and/or cubic space around the shack.

I use the -0202 for all sorts of digi modes (WSPR, JT65, PSK, and
other xSK modes) and it's very clean.   The -0202 is also one of the
recommended sound devices for use with LP PAN, in case that ever comes
up.

73,
matt W6NIA
K3 #24

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 07:37:08 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>Apologies for the OT question but I'm at my wits end. I just bought a new
>computer for the shack and find that I can't install my SB Live 24 card that
>I kept from the old one because it doesn't have PCI Slots. Instead, it has
>what I've been told are PCI Express slots. Even my local computer shop
>hadn't heard of a PC without PCI slots, and said PCI EXpress is only for
>graphics cards. But that can't be right as the computer has 4 of them, 3
>short ones which are PCIe x1 and one long one which is PCIe x16.
>
>The built in Realtek sound card has all kinds of controls for special
>effects, karaoke etc. but I can't find an option for "look, just convert it
>to digital as accurately as possible and don't mess with it." In any case, I
>really want to use the internal board for normal audio as it has front panel
>sockets for headphones etc. which is why I had the second sound card.
>However when I search for PCI Express sound cards they are all pretty
>expensive. The cheapest seems to be an Asus Xonar DX 7.1. I admit the DX
>part sounds promising, but it still has these special effects features and
>outputs for subwoofers and so on none of which I need.
>
>What's a guy who just wants to work digital modes to do? A few years ago you
>could buy a 16-bit ISA sound card for 15 quid. Surely we don't all have to
>go out and splash £200 on a RigExpert or MicroHam now? Someone suggested I
>got a "cheap USB audio device" but how cheap is OK? You can buy these things
>on eBay for $2, I kid you not, but I bought one once and tossed it after 5
>minutes it was so bad.
>
>I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had this problem and solved it
>satisfactorily because I'm getting withdrawal symptoms not being able to
>work digimodes. Is it just me, or is technology getting way too complicated?
>
>-----
>Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
>* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
>* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
>* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: [OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

n7ws
Julian,

I don't know yet whether the following is going to work out but here is my story.

After being licensed since 1958 I just last August decided to try RTTY with my K3. My station computer is a Lenovo T400 laptop running WIN XP and I used an older version of DXBase for logging.  One of the supporters of DXbase wrote a shell program, AXETTY, that uses the MMTTY engine and reports QSO info to DXBase.  I used two straight cables from the K3 Line In/Out to the built-on sound card on the laptop and used VOX. This worked fine for casual operation, except for the occasional times when the sound card would fail to output any sound.  This usually (of course) happened in the middle of a QSO and required a quick closing and opening of the program, which would cure the problem for a time.

Recently I decided to try some casual S&P during some contests.  My logging setup was clearly, not up to this so I looked at alternatives.  Trying to learn N1MM the day before a contest was a stretch although I got a good enough handle on it to try it, but the sound card drop out problem was horrible, and made it unusable. So I wound up using MMTTY standalone and it worked *almost* flawlessly. I suspect some timing issues between the "hooks" in the logging programs and the MMTTY engine that upset my built-in sound card.

To test this idea, I took the M-Audio Firewire "card" that I was using with an LP-Pan before I gave up on that idea, and used it for the RTTY programs.  It works flawlessly with any of them.  Now the point of this rambling is that having decided that I need an external card, I've just ordered a Signal Link USB, which hopefully will fill the bill.

As I said I can't personally recommend this at the moment, but it might be an option for you.

Wes  N7WS

> Apologies for the OT question but I'm at my wits end. I
> just bought a new
> computer for the shack and find that I can't install my SB
> Live 24 card that
> I kept from the old one because it doesn't have PCI Slots.
> Instead, it has
> what I've been told are PCI Express slots. Even my local
> computer shop
> hadn't heard of a PC without PCI slots, and said PCI
> EXpress is only for
> graphics cards. But that can't be right as the computer has
> 4 of them, 3
> short ones which are PCIe x1 and one long one which is PCIe
> x16.
>
> The built in Realtek sound card has all kinds of controls
> for special
> effects, karaoke etc. but I can't find an option for "look,
> just convert it
> to digital as accurately as possible and don't mess with
> it." In any case, I
> really want to use the internal board for normal audio as
> it has front panel
> sockets for headphones etc. which is why I had the second
> sound card.
> However when I search for PCI Express sound cards they are
> all pretty
> expensive. The cheapest seems to be an Asus Xonar DX 7.1. I
> admit the DX
> part sounds promising, but it still has these special
> effects features and
> outputs for subwoofers and so on none of which I need.
>
> What's a guy who just wants to work digital modes to do? A
> few years ago you
> could buy a 16-bit ISA sound card for 15 quid. Surely we
> don't all have to
> go out and splash £200 on a RigExpert or MicroHam now?
> Someone suggested I
> got a "cheap USB audio device" but how cheap is OK? You can
> buy these things
> on eBay for $2, I kid you not, but I bought one once and
> tossed it after 5
> minutes it was so bad.
>
> I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had this problem
> and solved it
> satisfactorily because I'm getting withdrawal symptoms not
> being able to
> work digimodes. Is it just me, or is technology getting way
> too complicated?
>
> -----
> Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
> * G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
> * KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
> * KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: [OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

A.K.Forrest

Julian,

I use an Edirol UA-1EX. It is simple USB stereo in and out, powered by
USB. Works on Mac and PC. Its about £65 but its a bit out of date now.
If it does 16 bits at 44KHz, and they all do, it is bound to be good
enough for sound card modes which actually don't need good sound card
performance. Signal to noise on the audio will be at best 40dB and the
sampling rate allows up to 20KHz when you only need about 4KHz.

yours

       Andrew (M1KAZ)

> Apologies for the OT question but I'm at my wits end. I just bought a new
> computer for the shack and find that I can't install my SB Live 24 card that
> I kept from the old one because it doesn't have PCI Slots. Instead, it has
> what I've been told are PCI Express slots. Even my local computer shop
> hadn't heard of a PC without PCI slots, and said PCI EXpress is only for
> graphics cards. But that can't be right as the computer has 4 of them, 3
> short ones which are PCIe x1 and one long one which is PCIe x16.
>
> The built in Realtek sound card has all kinds of controls for special
> effects, karaoke etc. but I can't find an option for "look, just convert it
> to digital as accurately as possible and don't mess with it." In any case, I
> really want to use the internal board for normal audio as it has front panel
> sockets for headphones etc. which is why I had the second sound card.
> However when I search for PCI Express sound cards they are all pretty
> expensive. The cheapest seems to be an Asus Xonar DX 7.1. I admit the DX
> part sounds promising, but it still has these special effects features and
> outputs for subwoofers and so on none of which I need.
>
> What's a guy who just wants to work digital modes to do? A few years ago you
> could buy a 16-bit ISA sound card for 15 quid. Surely we don't all have to
> go out and splash £200 on a RigExpert or MicroHam now? Someone suggested I
> got a "cheap USB audio device" but how cheap is OK? You can buy these things
> on eBay for $2, I kid you not, but I bought one once and tossed it after 5
> minutes it was so bad.
>
> I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had this problem and solved it
> satisfactorily because I'm getting withdrawal symptoms not being able to
> work digimodes. Is it just me, or is technology getting way too complicated?
>
> -----
> Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
> * G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
> * KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
> * KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: [OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

W7GJ, Lance
Howdy Wes,

I may be reading something wrong, but it sounds to me like you don't need an
external sound card - you need a faster computer with more RAM. Or you need to
disconnect LP-PAN when you are using sound card intensive applications.  The
problem sounds to me like you are pushing the limits of your computer when you run
LP-PAN, and adding an external sound card will further tax your computer.  The
answer I think may be to either reduce the current load by eliminating LP-PAN when
you run RTTY, or replace the computer with more horsepower.  Just my guess...GL
and VY 73, Lance

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ (ex: WN3GPL, WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX)
P.O. Box 73

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME email!

Re: [OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Julian,

PCI-E soundcards are available but they are not inexpensive
and you need to read the reviews carefully as some (e.g.
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio) are not up to the quality of
their PCI cousins.

The inexpensive solution may be a USB soundcard like the
UA-580 available from ByteRunner, GWC (pctekonline) and
others.

The other approach is a dedicated (purpose built) interface
and of course I can suggest some <G>.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

N2TK
Does anyone make a sound card, internal or external that has two separate
inputs/outputs? Right now I am using two sound cards for RTTY with my K3 -
one for the main receiver and one for the sub-receiver. This way, when I
turn on the sub-receiver I can tune around the band and decode the RTTY with
the sub-receiver while I am decoding the RTTY on the main receiver. I am
using two MMTTY programs at the same time.
What would be nice if there were two independent inputs and outputs on a
sound card.

Tnx for any feedback

73,
N2TK, Tony

PCI-E soundcards are available but they are not inexpensive
and you need to read the reviews carefully as some (e.g.
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio) are not up to the quality of
their PCI cousins.

The inexpensive solution may be a USB soundcard like the
UA-580 available from ByteRunner, GWC (pctekonline) and
others.

The other approach is a dedicated (purpose built) interface
and of course I can suggest some <G>.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Joe Planisky
Lots.  I used an M-Audio Delta 44.

Joe KB8AP

On Jan 30, 2010, at 9:57 AM, N2TK, Tony wrote:

> Does anyone make a sound card, internal or external that has two
> separate
> inputs/outputs? ...
> What would be nice if there were two independent inputs and outputs
> on a
> sound card.
>
> Tnx for any feedback
>
> 73,
> N2TK, Tony

Re: [OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Set up MMTTY to use left channel only for the copy on the
main receiver and right channel only for the copy on the
sub receiver.  There is no need for a "dual line" soundcard.
I've been doing it with a single stereo card for years.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Hi Lance,

Hmmm... I don't think so.  The computer has a 2.3 GHz Core2 Duo processor and 2 GB of RAM.  As I said, but not clearly enough, I gave up on the LP-Pan (for now anyway) so it wasn't running.  The only thing running was whichever RTTY/log software and Firefox, which I use for looking at Internet spots.  Since in some of these contests I was in an unassisted category, even that wasn't always open.

Regards,

Wes

> I may be reading something wrong, but it sounds to me like
> you don't need an
> external sound card - you need a faster computer with more
> RAM. Or you need to
> disconnect LP-PAN when you are using sound card intensive
> applications.  The
> problem sounds to me like you are pushing the limits of
> your computer when you run
> LP-PAN, and adding an external sound card will further tax
> your computer.  The
> answer I think may be to either reduce the current load by
> eliminating LP-PAN when
> you run RTTY, or replace the computer with more
> horsepower.  Just my guess...GL
> and VY 73, Lance

Re: [OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

Kok Chen

On Jan 30, 2010, at 9:57 AM, N2TK, Tony wrote:

> Does anyone make a sound card, internal or external that has two separate
> inputs/outputs?

I believe stereo sound cards are actually more common than mono sound cards.  Edirol (I think) makes an inexpensive mono USB sound card, but almost everything else out there are multi-channel (both the E-MU 0404 (USB) and Edirol FA-66 (FireWire) have 4 channels, for example).

However, some ham digital interfaces that include sound cards don't wire the right stereo channel, even though the chipsets in them are stereo; examples are the SignaLink USB and the microHAM USB Interface III. But many of the digital interfaces that come with sound cards do support two channel receive.  Some, like the microHAM digiKeyer and microKeyer II even have a pair of front panel pots to ride the gain for each channel independently.

The next issue is whether the software that you use allows you to select either the left or the right channel, even if the sound card has that capability.

> Right now I am using two sound cards for RTTY with my K3 -
> one for the main receiver and one for the sub-receiver. This way, when I
> turn on the sub-receiver I can tune around the band and decode the RTTY with
> the sub-receiver while I am decoding the RTTY on the main receiver. I am
> using two MMTTY programs at the same time.

With cocoaModem (a Mac OS X program), you won't need to run two copies to print from two receivers.  The principal RTTY interface in cocoaModem already has two independent channels (two waterfalls, two cross ellipse indicators, independent tone pairs, etc) within the same window (no window focus problems :-). See Fig. 11 here:

http://homepage.mac.com/chen/w7ay/cocoaModem/UsersManual/RTTYPage/WidebandRTTY/WidebandRTTY.html

A button on the bottom left selects if you want to transmit on the audio tone pair of the main receiver or the sub receiver.

The two RTTY channels in that program can be set to take signals from two different sound cards, or different channels from the same sound card (the way I use it on a microKeyer II), or even the same channel on the same sound card (so you can use slightly different demodulation parameters on the same signal).   No, it doesn't have diversity RTTY yet, but it will come one day :-).

73
Chen, W7AY

Re: [OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

N2TK
Tnx Joe for the input. I just looked at the manual and it seems it will do
everything I want.
N2TK, Tony

On Jan 30, 2010, at 9:57 AM, N2TK, Tony wrote:

> Does anyone make a sound card, internal or external that has two
> separate
> inputs/outputs? ...
> What would be nice if there were two independent inputs and outputs
> on a
> sound card.
>
> Tnx for any feedback
>
> 73,
> N2TK, Tony

Re: [OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

N2TK
Tnx Chen, but I am running Microsoft.

N2TK, Tony

On Jan 30, 2010, at 9:57 AM, N2TK, Tony wrote:

> Does anyone make a sound card, internal or external that has two separate
> inputs/outputs?

I believe stereo sound cards are actually more common than mono sound cards.
Edirol (I think) makes an inexpensive mono USB sound card, but almost
everything else out there are multi-channel (both the E-MU 0404 (USB) and
Edirol FA-66 (FireWire) have 4 channels, for example).

However, some ham digital interfaces that include sound cards don't wire the
right stereo channel, even though the chipsets in them are stereo; examples
are the SignaLink USB and the microHAM USB Interface III. But many of the
digital interfaces that come with sound cards do support two channel
receive.  Some, like the microHAM digiKeyer and microKeyer II even have a
pair of front panel pots to ride the gain for each channel independently.

The next issue is whether the software that you use allows you to select
either the left or the right channel, even if the sound card has that
capability.

> Right now I am using two sound cards for RTTY with my K3 -
> one for the main receiver and one for the sub-receiver. This way, when I
> turn on the sub-receiver I can tune around the band and decode the RTTY
with
> the sub-receiver while I am decoding the RTTY on the main receiver. I am
> using two MMTTY programs at the same time.

With cocoaModem (a Mac OS X program), you won't need to run two copies to
print from two receivers.  The principal RTTY interface in cocoaModem
already has two independent channels (two waterfalls, two cross ellipse
indicators, independent tone pairs, etc) within the same window (no window
focus problems :-). See Fig. 11 here:

http://homepage.mac.com/chen/w7ay/cocoaModem/UsersManual/RTTYPage/WidebandRT
TY/WidebandRTTY.html

A button on the bottom left selects if you want to transmit on the audio
tone pair of the main receiver or the sub receiver.

The two RTTY channels in that program can be set to take signals from two
different sound cards, or different channels from the same sound card (the
way I use it on a microKeyer II), or even the same channel on the same sound
card (so you can use slightly different demodulation parameters on the same
signal).   No, it doesn't have diversity RTTY yet, but it will come one day
:-).

73
Chen, W7AY

Re: [OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

>  But the Line-In  Record
> Control if I put the balance control in the center I can hear
> both receivers and if I go left or right I can hear each
> receiver, but I can’t find a setting that allows me at the
> same time to have Line In have a left and right control
> independent at the same time.

What "Line In Record Control?"   MMTTY does not have a Line In
Record Control.  You don't need it.

Simply check "Left" in the "Source" box on the "Misc" tab for
the "main Rx" copy of MMTTY, and check "Right" in the "Source"
box for the version of MMTTY you use in the "sub rx."

You need two copies of MMTTY - installed in different
directories each with its own copy of mmtty.ini.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Lu Romero - W4LT
Julian:

Welcome to the world of computer planned obsolescence!

PCI-E cards are still expensive as PCI-E has not made much of an inroad in
PC architecture yet.  More in Mac than PC.  Also, the specs for PCI-E cards
have not shaken out yet.  So there are quite a lot of variables in the
quality of the cards on the market.

The idea of an external card is a good one, but understand that this will
add overhead to your computer.  Depending on the computer, this may impact
the "responsiveness" of the software you are running on it, especially if
you have multiple processes going at the same time.

I considered the very inexpensive Signal Link, but it has no rig control and
you cant use it to send true CW.  It has a VOX circuit that it uses to key
the PTT or Key line.  Works, but not ideal.

I used to use a Behringer external sound card on my laptop (a rather old
Dell 1.2Ghz machine) and it worked well.  The internal sound card on it was
true garbage.  The Behringer UCA202 was $29 US at an internet retailer.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUCA202

Its basically a Signal Link without the VOX keying circuit.  It worked just
fine, but I still needed two com ports on the machine, one for CW the other
for CAT.  Too many wires.

For me the solution was a MicroHam MicroKeyer (the original model) which I
found at a SK sale.  It works perfectly, no issues, and relieves me of using
the serial port on the computer completely.  With it, I use two USB cables,
one for the sound card and one for the Micro Keyer.  But still you need
audio cables to the interface from the sound card.

A more elegant solution is the MicroKeyer 2.  This admittedly more expensive
solution has a built in sound card.  Now a single USB cable between the
computer and the MicroKeyer takes care of things for all modes, including
SSB DVK.  It has dual receive inputs for my dual receiver K3 too which I use
for Diversity RTTY with two MMTTY windows in N1MMLogger.

I currently use the MicroKeyer 1 and UCA202 on my secondary Kenwood TS570D
and the MicroKeyer 2 on my K3.  The rigs share a single computer (a Dell
GX280 3.4GHz P4 with 1M RAM) with no issues.  Router has a setup "tab" for
each interface and both work independently of each other.  Each can have
their own settings and for my use, I have enough virtual ports to do
everything I need to do.  I can even use my Bencher paddles with the
interfaces, switched by a small box with a 3PDT miniature switch.

Flawless CW, RTTY, PSK, DVK and never a burp or slowdown with both the old
Dell laptop when portable or the Dell Desktop when at home.

This setup works for me.  Your mileage may vary.

73

-Lu W4LT-

>> Apologies for the OT question but I'm at my wits end. I just bought a new
>> computer for the shack and find that I can't install my SB Live 24 card
that
>> I kept from the old one because it doesn't have PCI Slots. Instead, it
has
>> what I've been told are PCI Express slots. Even my local computer shop
hadn't
>> heard of a PC without PCI slots, and said PCI EXpress is only for
graphics
>> cards. But that can't be right as the computer has 4 of them, 3 short
ones
>> which are PCIe x1 and one long one which is PCIe x16.
>>
>> The built in Realtek sound card has all kinds of controls for special
>> effects, karaoke etc. but I can't find an option for "look, just convert
it
>> to digital as accurately as possible and don't mess with it." In any
case, I
>> really want to use the internal board for normal audio as it has front
panel
>> sockets for headphones etc. which is why I had the second sound card.
However
>> when I search for PCI Express sound cards they are all pretty expensive.
The
>> cheapest seems to be an Asus Xonar DX 7.1. I admit the DX part sounds
>> promising, but it still has these special effects features and outputs
for
>> subwoofers and so on none of which I need.
>>
>> What's a guy who just wants to work digital modes to do? A few years ago
you
>> could buy a 16-bit ISA sound card for 15 quid. Surely we don't all have
to go
>> out and splash ?200 on a RigExpert or MicroHam now? Someone suggested I
got a
>> "cheap USB audio device" but how cheap is OK? You can buy these things on
>> eBay for $2, I kid you not, but I bought one once and tossed it after 5
>> minutes it was so bad.
>>
>> I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had this problem and solved it
>> satisfactorily because I'm getting withdrawal symptoms not being able to
work
>> digimodes. Is it just me, or is technology getting way too complicated?
>>
>> ----- Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222. * G4ILO's Shack -
>> http://www.g4ilo.com * KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html * KTune -
>> http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

No virus found in this outgoing message

Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (6.1.0.25 - 6.14250).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

Re: [OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU

Re: [OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

Ron - PE8E
Hi Julian and fellow elecrafters,

Sorry for the late response, but I'am a slow digest reader.

I am at the exact same spot, also looking for a internal PCI-e soundcard
to put in my new pc-assembly. My mainboard does have PCI slots, but I need
them for other stuff.

Creative, the manufacturer of the well known E-MU 0202, announced some new
PCI-e cards : "http://www.emu.com/news/pressreleases/pr11609-1.asp".  The
ones that look most promissing are the PCI-e versions of the 0404 and the
1212 (the 1616, I consider overkill). Prices are a bit more than 15 quit,
ranging from 100 to 170 USD
Both should be able to do 192kHz. The only snag with the 1212 is that you
have to have an extra slot for a daughtercard (without mainboard
connection).
Haven't done much research on them yet, found them only yesterday.

Maybe somebody on this elaborate reflector has any (early) experience with
these new boards and can comment on them?

73 de PE8E, Ron.
K3-100 #00201 / K3-10 #01201 / K2 + various mini modules.

Re: [OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

Julian, G4ILO
The Asus Xonar PCI Express 7.1 seems to have a good specification (24bit, up to 192KHz sample rate) and is widely available for well under $100 on eBay. There is a review here: http://xaddr.com/a1hg that gives the spec.

I have ordered one so you will be able to read of my experiences with it in my blog in a few days time, hopefully.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: [OT] PCI Express sound card for digimodes

N8LP
My system is a 5-year old single processor P4. I think that has a lot to do with it. Plus, I'm running the latest PowerSDR and CW Skimmer to get to these numbers. Still, the USB sound card produces double the load of my PCI sound cards.

Larry N8LP

Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 11:02:03 -0800 (PST)
From: "Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Elecraft Digest, Vol 69, Issue 53
To: [hidden email]

This may be OS dependent, or it may be due to hidden sample rate conversions
in the drivers.
I use the EMU-0202 with Quisk for LP-PAN and Griffin iMic with fldigi
simultaneously on Linux and don't notice this level of CPU load at all.

Leigh/WA5ZNU