OT - Photovoltaic (PV) Systems

MontyS
We're considering a 4KW PV system to save energy costs.  If you have not read Bob Bruninga's August, 2012, QST article "Rethinking Electric Power…" it is recommended.

Does anyone here have experience with solar panel/inverter systems (no batteries, selling power back to utility) regarding interference?  Either receive interference from the PV system, or RF getting into the PV system and causing issues.

The most likely configuration for our system will be "micro inverters" attached to each of 16 60-cell solar panels.  This minimizes I^2R losses and is extensible.

Thanks for all replies, on or offline.

Monty K2DLJ

Re: OT - Photovoltaic (PV) Systems

w1az@comcast.net
I put pretty much this system on our house a couple of years ago: 4400
watts from 20 220 Watt panels with Enphase micro-iinverters.  I tend to
have local noise anyway, but after the system was functioning I tuned to
an otherwise quiet band and pulled the switch on the photovoltaics.  I
could here no difference in noise.  My shack is on the second floor with
only a few feet or less of attic between me and the panels.  I've never
observed any problems from rfi getting into the photovoltaic system.
Note that I don't run more than ~100 Watts, so I can't speak to what
might happen with a full legal limit amp.

The system has worked out very well.  We made about 85% of our total
electric use the first year, though with the heat this summer I'm afraid
that number will drop from air conditioner use...

Bernie
W1AZ

On 7/19/2012 8:35 AM, Monty Shultes wrote:

> We're considering a 4KW PV system to save energy costs.  If you have not read Bob Bruninga's August, 2012, QST article "Rethinking Electric Power…" it is recommended.
>
> Does anyone here have experience with solar panel/inverter systems (no batteries, selling power back to utility) regarding interference?  Either receive interference from the PV system, or RF getting into the PV system and causing issues.
>
> The most likely configuration for our system will be "micro inverters" attached to each of 16 60-cell solar panels.  This minimizes I^2R losses and is extensible.
>
> Thanks for all replies, on or offline.
>
> Monty K2DLJ

Re: OT - Photovoltaic (PV) Systems

T Gahagan-2
Hi Monty,

We installed a PV system consisting of 18 240 watt panels in December of
2011.  I'm using an inverter and feeding the grid and am currently about 200
KW/hrs ahead of usage.  I experience no RF coming from the system and the RF
I generate (1 KW on HF) doesn't seem to bother the system. All lines are
underground or in metal conduit and our array sets about 200 feet from the
house.  We are very pleased and have had no power bills since March of 2012.
We have a lot of very sunny days here in South Central Montana.

Todd, WA7U