[OT] Rig Colors

Phil Hystad-3
I am sitting here on the couch in the shack with my Mac laptop in my lap and I realize that all my rigs up on the desk are all black.  Vendors include Elecraft, Icom, and Yaesu and they are all black.  And, they are all the same shade of black.  Even my Astron power supplies, my Palstar dummy load, my Palstar tuner, my LP100A, my COMSpkrs are black.

Actually, the only non black thing up there on my desk is my Begali Magnetic Classic paddle.  It is gold looking.

I have this photo of my shack when I was in high school and very little in that photo is black (at least from the photos perspective).  The receiver, an HQ-170AC, was sort of a gray blue color, the transmitter, an Eico 720 has a very shiny aluminum front with meter and black knobs (although the case is black it is not seen in the photo).  I have some miscellaneous Heathkit stuff which sports the non-black Heathkit colors.  In this photo from 50 years ago, very little is black.

OK, not much technical for Elecraft questions but now I am really curious about this.  So, my question posted here on Sunday morning while I wait for the oatmeal to be ready.

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: [OT] Rig Colors

Bill Clarke
For years many were light grey. Yaesu even had an elegant looking almost
white rig. TenTec was tan. Of coure Heath was green. My only thought
would be that the black rigs represent something heavier - military
tough - official looking.

Black also shows dust more readily - FWTW.

Bill W2BLC

--
IN GOD I TRUST (but, NOT a single politician)

Re: [OT] Rig Colors

Logan Zintsmaster
Phil,
I had exactly the Novice station and still have it.  I hope to fire it up once I retire.  Novice call KN8YXV.  Logan

Re: [OT] Rig Colors

Phil Hystad-3
Logan,

I still have the HQ-170AC (though missing the clock) and three Eico 720s.  Alas, they are not my originals.  I sold my original HQ-170AC for just under $200 in 1967 for money I needed for tuition and books that year in college.  I gave away my Eico 720 and a lot of other equipment to an up-and-coming budding high-school aged ham after I realized that I would be in school forever (planned on PhD Physics, got drafted instead and joined the Air Force).  The [novice] rigs I have today I picked up at various hamfests in the last 8 years.

My novice call sign:  WN7ECQ.

phil

On May 20, 2012, at 9:50 AM, Logan Zintsmaster wrote:

> Phil,
> I had exactly the Novice station and still have it.  I hope to fire it up once I retire.  Novice call KN8YXV.  Logan

Re: [OT] Rig Colors

Mike Markowski-2
Around 1990 an audio company, Adcom, that at that time time was well
regarded (no longer the case, I'm told by audio enthusiasts at work) had
a line of audio gear that came out in both black and white.  Apparently
the white sold well in California but not the rest pf the US.  Outside
of CA you could get the white gear for about $100 less - and still
didn't fly off the shelves.  Maybe the ham companies are simply giving
customers what they want?  Yet it would be interesting to see a white K3!

73,
Mike ab3ap

On 05/20/2012 11:58 AM, Bill wrote:
> For years many were light grey. Yaesu even had an elegant looking almost
> white rig. TenTec was tan. Of coure Heath was green. My only thought
> would be that the black rigs represent something heavier - military
> tough - official looking.
>
> Black also shows dust more readily - FWTW.
>
> Bill W2BLC

Re: [OT] Rig Colors

Tim Herrick
I think the problem with white is it will readily show all kinds of dirt
including something as minor as skin oils. This will end up discoloring the
rig around the knobs and switches. With, black, green and grey they are not
as readily visible.

Tim Herrick, KQ8M
Charter Member North Coast Contesters
[hidden email]

AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org
User Ports: 23, 7373  with local skimmer, 7374 without local skimmer

Around 1990 an audio company, Adcom, that at that time time was well
regarded (no longer the case, I'm told by audio enthusiasts at work) had
a line of audio gear that came out in both black and white.  Apparently
the white sold well in California but not the rest pf the US.  Outside
of CA you could get the white gear for about $100 less - and still
didn't fly off the shelves.  Maybe the ham companies are simply giving
customers what they want?  Yet it would be interesting to see a white K3!

73,
Mike ab3ap

On 05/20/2012 11:58 AM, Bill wrote:
> For years many were light grey. Yaesu even had an elegant looking almost
> white rig. TenTec was tan. Of coure Heath was green. My only thought
> would be that the black rigs represent something heavier - military
> tough - official looking.
>
> Black also shows dust more readily - FWTW.
>
> Bill W2BLC

Re: [OT] Rig Colors

Nate Bargmann
As I recall earlier Icom gear had sort of a greenish hue to their black,
dependent upon the model.  The Heathkit HF rigss of the '80s were brown.
Kenwood offered its first dual band VHF/UHF rig in brushed aluminum.

Early coputing equipment was mostly white, but only the IBM stuff has
not become an ugly shade of yellow (even non-IBM stuff in non smoking
environments yellows) over its lifetime.  Black may show the dust more
readily but it seems to preserve its luster over the equipmen't
lifetime.

Black is fine by me.  It matches nearly any decor and it's universal.
Does the radio work as claimed?  That's why my black K3 sits on my desk.
:-)

73, de Nate, N0NB >>

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: [OT] Rig Colors

Joe K2UF
I would not enjoy staring at a white or yellow or brushed aluminum or any
other light colored radio for a full weekend contest or even a 4 hour
sprint.  Now my ears hurt after a contest, I don't need my eyes to hurt
also.  ;o)

73  Joe K2UF

No trees were harmed in the sending of this e-mail; however, many electrons
were inconvenienced.

Re: [OT] Rig Colors

Phillip Lontz
I would pay extra for a choice of colors... RED