OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

Bill W4ZV
It's that time of year when we take our radios to the field but want
to avoid nasty stuff like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Lyme Disease
and those itchy redbugs (aka chiggers).  Permethrin is a military
grade insecticide which kills ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes on
contact with impregnated clothing.  A treatment typically lasts for 42
days and/or 6 washings.  I strongly recommend the 24 ounce pump spray
(link below) over the aerosol which has had numerous reports of
clogging problems.

Read carefully below and decide for yourself but this stuff really
works for me.  I personally prefer treating my clothing rather than
spraying stuff on my skin.  I have a set of military camos including
socks, hat and gloves which I treat with Permethrin at the beginning
of each Turkey season and have NEVER had any insect problems.  I have
no interest in this product other than being a very satisfied user
which some here might find useful.

http://www.sawyerproducts.com/tech-bugs1.html

http://bit.ly/HErjrz  (link to 24 ounce pump spray on a well known website)

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: [KX3] OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

Don Wilhelm-4
Bill,

That is good information, but is it effective in deterring ticks that
drop from trees and overhead bushes.
Here in North Carolina, most of the ticks do drop from overhead
locations - they sense carbon dioxide from our bodies and descend on
us.  I am particularly interested since most all our property is wooded,
and moving through that "wild and wooly" 20 acre environment this time
of year results in a "tick search" each day.

On 4/12/2012 5:55 PM, Bill Tippett wrote:

> [...]
>
> Read carefully below and decide for yourself but this stuff really
> works for me.  I personally prefer treating my clothing rather than
> spraying stuff on my skin.  I have a set of military camos including
> socks, hat and gloves which I treat with Permethrin at the beginning
> of each Turkey season and have NEVER had any insect problems.  I have
> no interest in this product other than being a very satisfied user
> which some here might find useful.
>
> http://www.sawyerproducts.com/tech-bugs1.html
>
> http://bit.ly/HErjrz  (link to 24 ounce pump spray on a well known
> website)
>
> 73,  Bill  W4ZV
>
> __._,_.___
> Reply to sender
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20OT%3A%20Ticks%2C%20Chiggers%20and%20Mosquitoes>
> | Reply to group
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20OT%3A%20Ticks%2C%20Chiggers%20and%20Mosquitoes>
> | Start a New Topic
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KX3/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNTVybnBzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzMzQyNjc3MTU->
>
> Messages in this topic
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KX3/message/5488;_ylc=X3oDMTM1a2U1YzRmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAM1NDg4BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTMzNDI2NzcxNQR0cGNJZAM1NDg4>
> (1)
> Recent Activity:
>
>   * New Members
>     <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KX3/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnODNvYmd1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMzM0MjY3NzE1?o=6>
>     87
>   * New Photos
>     <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KX3/spnew;_ylc=X3oDMTJnMHFyZHQxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2cGhvdARzdGltZQMxMzM0MjY3NzE1>
>     3
>   * New Links
>     <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KX3/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJoa2l1bW0wBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bGlua3MEc3RpbWUDMTMzNDI2NzcxNQ-->
>     2
>
> Visit Your Group
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KX3;_ylc=X3oDMTJmcmpkbWI3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzMzQyNjc3MTU->
>
> Yahoo! Groups
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZGJtZ3JjBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTMzNDI2NzcxNQ-->
>
> Switch to: Text-Only
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional>,
> Daily Digest
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
> . Unsubscribe
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Unsubscribe> . Terms

Re: [Elecraft_K3] OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

DaleJ
I have never found a product that contains 100 percent of Deet.

Deet is an effective repellent, I use it all the time while hiking in the woods and to fend off tics, deer fly and other unsavory critters that insist on bugging me.

The most Deet I've found is in a 3 M product, at about 25 percent Deet.  It had an oily feel and I don't much care for the odor.  I like the Deep Woods off product at about 15 percent the best.  The percent of Deet only means how long it will last and at 15 percent it will last for several hours.  I can check my repellent vault for exact product name and content of Deet if you want to know.  I use the stuff directly on my skin and clothing.

Dale, k9vuj

On 12, Apr 2012, at 17:48, dalej wrote:

> On 12, Apr 2012, at 16:55, Bill Tippett wrote:
>

>> It's that time of year when we take our radios to the field but want
>> to avoid nasty stuff like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Lyme Disease
>> and those itchy redbugs (aka chiggers).  Permethrin is a military
>> grade insecticide which kills ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes on
>> contact with impregnated clothing.  A treatment typically lasts for 42
>> days and/or 6 washings.  I strongly recommend the 24 ounce pump spray
>> (link below) over the aerosol which has had numerous reports of
>> clogging problems.
>>
>> Read carefully below and decide for yourself but this stuff really
>> works for me.  I personally prefer treating my clothing rather than
>> spraying stuff on my skin.  I have a set of military camos including
>> socks, hat and gloves which I treat with Permethrin at the beginning
>> of each Turkey season and have NEVER had any insect problems.  I have
>> no interest in this product other than being a very satisfied user
>> which some here might find useful.
>>
>> http://www.sawyerproducts.com/tech-bugs1.html
>>
>> http://bit.ly/HErjrz  (link to 24 ounce pump spray on a well known website)
>>
>> 73,  Bill  W4ZV
>

> __._,_.___
> Messages in this topic (5)
> RECENT ACTIVITY: New Members 12 New Photos 1
> Visit Your Group
> .
>
> __,_._,___

Re: [KX3] OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

Dave, W8OV
According to these sources, ticks do not drop from trees:
<http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pccommonticks.htm>,
<http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/life_cycle_and_hosts.html>.

Dave, W8OV

On 4/12/2012 5:38 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Bill,
>
> That is good information, but is it effective in deterring ticks that
> drop from trees and overhead bushes.<snip>
>

> 73,
> Don W3FPR

Re: [KX3] OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

Dave, W8OV
According to these sources, ticks do not drop from trees:
<http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pccommonticks.htm>,
<http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/life_cycle_and_hosts.html>.

Dave, W8OV

On 4/12/2012 5:38 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Bill,
>
> That is good information, but is it effective in deterring ticks that
> drop from trees and overhead bushes.<snip>
>

> 73,
> Don W3FPR

Re: [Elecraft_K3] OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

Tony Estep
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM, dalej <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...The most Deet I've found is in a 3 M product, at about 25 percent
> Deet....

===================
When I went to India to teach (www.isb.edu, check it out) I had to get a
bunch of shots, and the doc who administered them recommended a product
called Ultrathon that contains 34% Deet in case I ventured into malaria
territory. I still have a couple of tubes left, enough for a lifetime. No
bug was willing to come near me with that stuff on.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: [Elecraft_K3] OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

w0mu
You can find deet products over 90 percent at your sporting goods
store.    We use the potent stuff in Montana and the guides in Alaska
all recommend the highest percentage of deet you can find.

Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net

On 4/12/2012 5:31 PM, Tony Estep wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM, dalej<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> ...The most Deet I've found is in a 3 M product, at about 25 percent
>> Deet....
> ===================
> When I went to India to teach (www.isb.edu, check it out) I had to get a
> bunch of shots, and the doc who administered them recommended a product
> called Ultrathon that contains 34% Deet in case I ventured into malaria
> territory. I still have a couple of tubes left, enough for a lifetime. No
> bug was willing to come near me with that stuff on.
>
> Tony KT0NY

Re: [KX3] OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

Bill W4ZV
Dave, W8OV wrote
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet!  :-)

 I remember blackberry picking with my sister when I was 6 years old.  It was hot so we sat beneath a tree for some shade and ticks began dropping like crazy.  She had a paper parasol which she put up and it truly sounded like rain.

To answer Don's question about falling ticks, that's why I also treat my hat with attached neck cover with Permethrin.  Works great to repel mosquitoes and deer flies also.

73,  Bill

Re: [Elecraft_K3] OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

Bill W4ZV
w0mu wrote
You can find deet products over 90 percent at your sporting goods
store.    We use the potent stuff in Montana and the guides in Alaska
all recommend the highest percentage of deet you can find.
The problem with deet is that it has limited duration, and I really dislike putting chemicals on my skin.  I prefer Permethrin because you only treat your clothes once every 6 weeks.  However Deet is good for exposed skin such as hands and face so it can be selectively used effectively in combination with Permethrin:

Permethrin clothing treatments, when applied following Directions for Use, have been determined to have "spatial repellency" against mosquitoes. This means that mosquitoes will swarm around you, but not light on your treated clothing and bite. Also use an EPA registered repellent, such as the Sawyer microencapsulated Controlled Release 20-percent DEET, on all exposed skin for further protection from biting and blood sucking mosquitoes. The combination of Permethrin on clothing and DEET repellent on skin forms an "Insect Repellent System." When used as directed on the EPA registered labels, the Insect Repellent System will provide the best protection from biting, blood sucking and disease carrying insects. A well known study conducted by Tom Lillie, Carl Schreck and A. J. Rahe in Alaska in 1987, showed 99.9-percent effectiveness against mosquitoes biting at a rate of more than 1,100/hr. This protection is far greater than either a DEET based insect repellent or Permethrin can achieve alone.

73,  Bill

Re: [KX3] OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

k6dgw
On 4/12/2012 4:48 PM, Bill W4ZV wrote:

> Don't believe everything you read on the Internet!  :-)

The Internet ... A fantastic resource that might have made college sooo
much easier.  Alas, also the largest collection of made-up stuff in the
known universe.  Sometimes, I think that figuring out what is fact and
what is made-up on the Internet is as hard as what I had to do
pre-Internet -- go to the school library.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: [KX3] OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

Bill Frantz
I have a US military surplus mesh long sleeve shirt, with a hood
which is designed to be soaked in military DEET -- 4 ounces,
95%. You then wear it and it keeps the bugs away quite well.
When you're not wearing it, keep it in a 1 gallon ziploc bag.
One application of DEET lasts about a month. The design may date
from the Vietnam war era.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV

Re: [KX3] OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

All I can say from those sources is *BS*, I live in North Carolina and I
know that tics drop from trees when they sense us humans emanating
carbon dioxide.

On 4/12/2012 7:29 PM, Dave, W8OV wrote:

> According to these sources, ticks do not drop from trees:
> <http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pccommonticks.htm>,
> <http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/life_cycle_and_hosts.html>.
>
> Dave, W8OV
>

> On 4/12/2012 5:38 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> Bill,
>>
>> That is good information, but is it effective in deterring ticks that
>> drop from trees and overhead bushes.<snip>
>>

>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR

Re: [KX3] OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

Keith Heimbold
Good recommendation. On a recent trip to India my travel doctor from the company i worked for recommended and provided us going Deet.  Along with so many shots I felt like a pin cushion.

> I have a US military surplus mesh long sleeve shirt, with a hood
> which is designed to be soaked in military DEET -- 4 ounces,
> 95%. You then wear it and it keeps the bugs away quite well.

Keith
AG6AZ

Re: [KX3] OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

I can also add that the most common areas of the body for tics to be
found in is around the hairline.  If they were from legs brushing on
brush, I would expect most of them would be found on the legs rather
than on the hairline of the head.  Take your pick, bu I firmwarely
believe that they sense Carbon dioxide and drop from the trees.

On 4/12/2012 5:07 PM, Bill Frantz wrote:

> The design may date from the Vietnam war era.

Possibly, we began to see these in late '66, maybe early '67.  Never
tried them, we just wore our CJU's, but they started to become fairly
prevalent among the Infantry units we were attached to.  To be honest,
my team and I never really used much in the way of repellant.  Of
course, several of us also got malaria :-)

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: [KX3] OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes [END of Thread]

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Time to end this way OT thread before it 'Ticks' someone off... ;-)

73,

Eric  WA6HHQ
List Moderator
---
www.elecraft.com

On 4/12/2012 8:10 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
> I think it depends upon where you are. In the California outlands, there are
> very few trees but countless miles of grassland that can grow 2 or 3 feet
> high. I have seen photographs of tics hanging on a stalk of dry grass
> waiting for a mammal to come along so he can 'hitch a ride'.

Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: [KX3] OT: Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes

Dennis  McAlpine
Down here in SC, my land abuts a wetland preserve that is populated with the
worst chiggers I have ever run into.  Once I leave my manicured lawn and go
out where the antennas are hung in the trees, the chiggers are giggling as I
enter their terrain.  I have found a repellent called "Bug Barrier 100" to
be reasonably effective.  Its label says it is 98.11% deet, which I guess is
good.  In addition, I wear long sleeved shirts, kerchiefs, jeans, a
wide-brimmed hat to keep hose guys from dropping down on me as well as keep
the sun off my shiny head, and then tuck the pant legs into snake boots.
These latter items are a necessary evil since we have a large population of
poisonous snakes in this area, i.e. cottonmouths, rattlesnakes, copperheads
as well as less dangerous ones.  They also make it harder for the chiggers
to find their way inside my clothes.  About the only real effective solution
is to halt all antenna work in the wetlands until the weather turns cold and
the snakes go to sleep and the chiggers die.  Such is life in paradise.

GL all ye who work on antennas in the wilder environs

73,.

Dennis, K2SX

  _____

[...]

<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20%5BKX3%5D%20OT%3A%20Ticks%2C%20
Chiggers%20and%20Mosquitoes>  to sender | Reply
<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20%5BKX3%5D%20OT%3A%20Tick
s%2C%20Chiggers%20and%20Mosquitoes>  to group | Reply
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elecraft_K3/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJydmw3bGNwBF9TAzk
3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMxNDM0MgRzZWM
DZnRyBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEzMzQyNzAyOTA-?act=reply&messageNum=14342>  via
web post |
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elecraft_K3/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMTg5MjU4BF9TAzk
3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHB
jBHN0aW1lAzEzMzQyNzAyOTA-> Start a New Topic

Messages
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elecraft_K3/message/14341;_ylc=X3oDMTM3MXZxNG
VhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMxND
M0MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzMzQyNzAyOTAEdHBjSWQDMTQzNDE->  in this
topic (2)

Recent Activity:

*
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elecraft_K3/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnM2xuOW92BF9T
Azk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2
bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMzM0MjcwMjkw?o=6> New Members 12

*
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elecraft_K3/spnew;_ylc=X3oDMTJncmc2cGg3BF9TAz
k3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2cG
hvdARzdGltZQMxMzM0MjcwMjkw> New Photos 1

NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0
aW1lAzEzMzQyNzAyOTA-> Visit Your Group

TQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTMzNDI3MDI5M
A--> Yahoo! Groups

Switch to:
<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Change%20Delivery%20
Format:%20Traditional> Text-Only,
<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Diges
t> Daily Digest .
<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Unsubscribe>
Unsubscribe .  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Terms of Use

.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=20149428/grpspId=1705063108/msgI
d=14342/stime=1334270290/nc1=5741398/nc2=4025373/nc3=5898817>