OT - Way off topic, but Dell is giving away machines

OT - Way off topic, but Dell is giving away machines

Dan Barker
Until 1/5/05, you can get a Dell SC420, 2.5GHz Celeron, 1G Ram, 80G
Harddrive, CD-Rom for $234.

I just ordered 4!

Dan / WG4S / K2 #2456

No affiliation, blah, blah, blah, I just lost 3 servers over the weekend and
I'm OUT of spares and very nervous.

RE: OT - Way off topic, but Dell is giving away machines

Dan Barker
It's a bear to find.

www.dell.com, click small business, Click "Servers, Storage and Networking",
Scroll down a bit and click "Customize it" next to the $224 teaser (that's a
40G harddrive). Pay LOTS of attention. Some of the "options" have prices
like "remove $99".

Don't know if this link will work for you, but you can drill in as above.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&
oc=sc420sapp&s=bsd

They are kind of high for disks, but the memory is decent.

Dan

Do you have a link for that? I can't find it on the Dell site..
Thanks for the heads-up
Tim
NZ8J

RE: OT - Way off topic, but Dell is giving away machines

roncasa
Wow! Now, there is no excuse for not being able to do digital modes!!

 Ron wb1hga

RE: OT - Way off topic, but Dell is giving away machines

Paul Ermisch
At the top of the configuration list:

Note: For server use only; CANNOT BE USED AS A DESKTOP.
Dell does not support the use of a graphics card on the SC420.

Still, a great price.  The other desktops they're selling are priced
well.

Paul NN0C

Did a little research - looks like there is onboard video but an XP
driver may or may not be available.  Also, all PCI slots and no AGP.

Looks like they were being sold for even less last month.

Paul

Charles Greene
Dan,

I found it.  Seems it has no operating system.  Do you read it that way
too?  I'm not sure I have an operating system I can use.  My Daughters
Compaq went belly up due to a power surge last week, but the restore disk
probably checks to see if it is the right model Compaq, and my computers
are the same way.  Possibly I can get a Windows 2000.

73

Chas

At 06:00 PM 1/3/2005, Dan Barker wrote:
>It's a bear to find.
>
>www.dell.com, click small business, Click "Servers, Storage and Networking",
>Scroll down a bit and click "Customize it" next to the $224 teaser (that's a
>40G harddrive). Pay LOTS of attention. Some of the "options" have prices
>like "remove $99".

Re: OT - Way off topic, but Dell is giving away machines

stephen Farthing
Gentlemen,

        Try LINUX..it works with most things..without fettling...and its often free
on a mag cover disc..

Steve

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 14:31, Charles Greene wrote:

> Dan,
>
> I found it.  Seems it has no operating system.  Do you read it that way
> too?  I'm not sure I have an operating system I can use.  My Daughters
> Compaq went belly up due to a power surge last week, but the restore disk
> probably checks to see if it is the right model Compaq, and my computers
> are the same way.  Possibly I can get a Windows 2000.
>
> 73
>
> Chas
>
> At 06:00 PM 1/3/2005, Dan Barker wrote:
> >It's a bear to find.
> >
> >www.dell.com, click small business, Click "Servers, Storage and
> > Networking", Scroll down a bit and click "Customize it" next to the $224
> > teaser (that's a 40G harddrive). Pay LOTS of attention. Some of the
> > "options" have prices like "remove $99".

Stephen Farthing

Re: OT - Way off topic, but Dell is giving away machines

Bob Nielsen
There's one version which will even ship you a CD for free:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org

73,
Bob, N7XY