OT - station "pistol size"

RobertG
Hello, all...

I made a comment in another thread that my station was a "little
pistol." That got me thinking and wondering about how to "size" a ham
station. "Big Guns" are rather obvious. Now, how about a "small gun," a
"big pistol," a "little pistol," and finally "bow and arrow?" Clearly,
this is very subjective, For example, my station: in the city on a small
lot, SkyHawk at 60ft, 80/40m compromise wires, nothing on 160m, 500w
amp, and K3. I can juuuust get into the top 10 in the CQWWcw from WNY
[most of the time], I've worked 335 DX on assorted bands, 5Band-DXCC is
forever waiting on 80m, and it's generally hard to hold a run frequency
when a band opens strongly. What size is this station? Anyone who comes
up with "pea shooter" will be so noted <g>. How about your station?
Happy 4th.

...robert
--
Robert G. Strickland, PhD, ABPH - KE2WY
[hidden email]

Re: OT - station "pistol size"

W7GJ, Lance
On HF I think I am a water pistol ;-(

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Re: OT - station "pistol size"

daleputnam

I was thinking... maybe a rock and string?.... oh.. I know it isn't a pistol.. but sometimes I can hit things....does that count??
--...   ...--
Dale - WC7S in Wy
 > Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 22:00:17 +0000

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT - station "pistol size"
>
> On HF I think I am a water pistol ;-(
>

> On 7/3/2012 7:39 PM, Robert G. Strickland wrote:
> > Hello, all...
> >
> > I made a comment in another thread that my station was a "little
> > pistol." That got me thinking and wondering about how to "size" a ham
> > station. "Big Guns" are rather obvious. Now, how about a "small gun," a
> > "big pistol," a "little pistol," and finally "bow and arrow?" Clearly,
> > this is very subjective, For example, my station: in the city on a small
> > lot, SkyHawk at 60ft, 80/40m compromise wires, nothing on 160m, 500w
> > amp, and K3. I can juuuust get into the top 10 in the CQWWcw from WNY
> > [most of the time], I've worked 335 DX on assorted bands, 5Band-DXCC is
> > forever waiting on 80m, and it's generally hard to hold a run frequency
> > when a band opens strongly. What size is this station? Anyone who comes
> > up with "pea shooter" will be so noted <g>. How about your station?
> > Happy 4th.
> >
> > ...robert
>

> --
> Lance Collister, W7GJ
> (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
> P.O. Box 73
> Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
> USA
> TEL: (406) 626-5728
> QTH: DN27ub
> Windows Messenger: [hidden email]
> Skype: lanceW7GJ
> 2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815
>
> Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
> email group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom of my web
> page (above)!

Re: OT - station "pistol size"

Larry W2LJ
On 7/3/2012 3:39 PM, Robert G. Strickland wrote:

> Hello, all...
>
> I made a comment in another thread that my station was a "little
> pistol." That got me thinking and wondering about how to "size" a ham
> station. "Big Guns" are rather obvious. Now, how about a "small gun," a
> "big pistol," a "little pistol," and finally "bow and arrow?" Clearly,
> this is very subjective, For example, my station: in the city on a small
> lot, SkyHawk at 60ft, 80/40m compromise wires, nothing on 160m, 500w
> amp, and K3. I can juuuust get into the top 10 in the CQWWcw from WNY
> [most of the time], I've worked 335 DX on assorted bands, 5Band-DXCC is
> forever waiting on 80m, and it's generally hard to hold a run frequency
> when a band opens strongly. What size is this station? Anyone who comes
> up with "pea shooter" will be so noted <g>. How about your station?
> Happy 4th.
>
> ...robert

Finally, as in the lowest output used to be referred to as a "peanut
whistle".

Larry W2LJ

--
73 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

http://w2lj.blogspot.com/
http://www.w2lj.qrpradio.com/

Re: OT - station "pistol size"

Mike Morrow-3
And this exercise serves what purpose?

Mike / KK5F
Non-PhD

>I made a comment in another thread that my station was a "little
>pistol." That got me thinking and wondering about how to "size" a ham
>station. "Big Guns" are rather obvious. Now, how about a "small gun," a
>"big pistol," a "little pistol," and finally "bow and arrow?" Clearly,
>this is very subjective, For example, my station: in the city on a small
>lot, SkyHawk at 60ft, 80/40m compromise wires, nothing on 160m, 500w
>amp, and K3. I can juuuust get into the top 10 in the CQWWcw from WNY
>[most of the time], I've worked 335 DX on assorted bands, 5Band-DXCC is
>forever waiting on 80m, and it's generally hard to hold a run frequency
>when a band opens strongly. What size is this station? Anyone who comes
>up with "pea shooter" will be so noted <g>. How about your station?
>Happy 4th.
>
>...robert
>--
>Robert G. Strickland, PhD, ABPH - KE2WY
>[hidden email]
>Syracuse, New York, USA

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: OT - station "pistol size"

Tim Herrick
Injection of a little humor from time to time is not a bad thing. Well, for most of us.

73,
Tim Herrick, KQ8M
Charter Member North Coast Contesters
[hidden email]

K3 Serial #5934

AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org
User Ports: 23, 7373  with local skimmer, 7374 without local skimmer

>I made a comment in another thread that my station was a "little
>pistol." That got me thinking and wondering about how to "size" a ham
>station. "Big Guns" are rather obvious. Now, how about a "small gun," a
>"big pistol," a "little pistol," and finally "bow and arrow?" Clearly,
>this is very subjective, For example, my station: in the city on a small
>lot, SkyHawk at 60ft, 80/40m compromise wires, nothing on 160m, 500w
>amp, and K3. I can juuuust get into the top 10 in the CQWWcw from WNY
>[most of the time], I've worked 335 DX on assorted bands, 5Band-DXCC is
>forever waiting on 80m, and it's generally hard to hold a run frequency
>when a band opens strongly. What size is this station? Anyone who comes
>up with "pea shooter" will be so noted <g>. How about your station?
>Happy 4th.
>
>...robert
>--
>Robert G. Strickland, PhD, ABPH - KE2WY
>[hidden email]
>Syracuse, New York, USA

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: OT - station "pistol size"

Scott Monks
It serves to pass the time until our KX3s are delivered!
Enviado desde mi oficina móvil BlackBerry® de Telcel

>I made a comment in another thread that my station was a "little
>pistol." That got me thinking and wondering about how to "size" a ham
>station. "Big Guns" are rather obvious. Now, how about a "small gun," a
>"big pistol," a "little pistol," and finally "bow and arrow?" Clearly,
>this is very subjective, For example, my station: in the city on a small
>lot, SkyHawk at 60ft, 80/40m compromise wires, nothing on 160m, 500w
>amp, and K3. I can juuuust get into the top 10 in the CQWWcw from WNY
>[most of the time], I've worked 335 DX on assorted bands, 5Band-DXCC is
>forever waiting on 80m, and it's generally hard to hold a run frequency
>when a band opens strongly. What size is this station? Anyone who comes
>up with "pea shooter" will be so noted <g>. How about your station?
>Happy 4th.
>
>...robert
>--
>Robert G. Strickland, PhD, ABPH - KE2WY
>[hidden email]
>Syracuse, New York, USA

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: OT - station "pistol size"

RobertG
As originator of this thread and mindful of bandwidth, let's reflect on
what has transpired and bring things to a peaceful conclusion. Thanks
for all comments.

...robert

--
Robert G. Strickland, PhD, ABPH - KE2WY
[hidden email]
Syracuse, New York, USA

Re: OT - station "pistol size"

Fred Townsend
I have a bazooka match. Does that mean I'm a big gun?

It serves to pass the time until our KX3s are delivered!
Enviado desde mi oficina móvil BlackBerry® de Telcel

>I made a comment in another thread that my station was a "little
>pistol." That got me thinking and wondering about how to "size" a ham
>station. "Big Guns" are rather obvious. Now, how about a "small gun," a
>"big pistol," a "little pistol," and finally "bow and arrow?" Clearly,
>this is very subjective, For example, my station: in the city on a
>small lot, SkyHawk at 60ft, 80/40m compromise wires, nothing on 160m,
>500w amp, and K3. I can juuuust get into the top 10 in the CQWWcw from
>WNY [most of the time], I've worked 335 DX on assorted bands,
>5Band-DXCC is forever waiting on 80m, and it's generally hard to hold a
>run frequency when a band opens strongly. What size is this station?
>Anyone who comes up with "pea shooter" will be so noted <g>. How about your
station?

>Happy 4th.
>
>...robert
>--
>Robert G. Strickland, PhD, ABPH - KE2WY [hidden email] Syracuse, New
>York, USA

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email
>list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: OT - station "pistol size"

Tony Estep
Bob, all I can say is that if you have a 3-element Yagi at 60 ft., nothing
you can do or say will make you anything but a big howitzer as viewed from
the perspective of those of us at the bottom of the pileup.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352