OT subjects

Chester Alderman
Such a wonderful reflector!! I just deleted 25 messages - NONE of which had
a damn thing to do with Elecraft products or Elecraft technical issues. This
is becoming not an Elecraft reflector for product or technical issues, but a
place for all of you OF's to tell us how important you are. Think about it.

Tom - W4BQF

PS - Yes, I know OT subjects are encouraged by Elecraft.

Re: OT subjects

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: OT subjects

William H. Droeger, Jr.
Well said Tom. This reflector has been hijacked by five or six guys
who seem to be experts on EVERYTHING.  Subject matter has
deteriorated.  Days on end of what KN means. You have to be kidding
me. 73's KT9T
On Jul 19, 2011, at 4:17 PM, Tommy Alderman wrote:

> Such a wonderful reflector!! I just deleted 25 messages - NONE of
> which had
> a damn thing to do with Elecraft products or Elecraft technical
> issues. This
> is becoming not an Elecraft reflector for product or technical
> issues, but a
> place for all of you OF's to tell us how important you are. Think
> about it.
>
> Tom - W4BQF
>
> PS - Yes, I know OT subjects are encouraged by Elecraft.

Re: OT subjects

k6rb
Like Tommy I too end up deleting a ton of postings. The primary reason is
because the subject field indicates equipment I don't have, or modes of
operation I don't use. Also, there tends to be an endless string of thread
postings until Eric finally says "hey, enough, guys."

Nevertheless, I have not unsubscribed. I will go through, read subject
fields, and delete without reading, but I don't want to miss the one or
two topics that are of interest to me.

I guess it would be cool if there was some macro that would stuff
everything into the trash folder except the topics of interest to me. Or,
maybe there already is such a macro.

Rob K6RB

Re: OT subjects

Peter Child
List moderators must get vacations just like the rest of us........

Pete--K1MPM

On Jul 19, 2011, at 5:46 PM, William H. Droeger, Jr. wrote:

> Well said Tom. This reflector has been hijacked by five or six guys
> who seem to be experts on EVERYTHING.  Subject matter has
> deteriorated.  Days on end of what KN means. You have to be kidding
> me. 73's KT9T
> On Jul 19, 2011, at 4:17 PM, Tommy Alderman wrote:
>
>> Such a wonderful reflector!! I just deleted 25 messages - NONE of
>> which had
>> a damn thing to do with Elecraft products or Elecraft technical
>> issues. This
>> is becoming not an Elecraft reflector for product or technical
>> issues, but a
>> place for all of you OF's to tell us how important you are. Think
>> about it.
>>
>> Tom - W4BQF
>>
>> PS - Yes, I know OT subjects are encouraged by Elecraft.

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: OT subjects

Guy, K2AV
My Gmail mail client takes care of threading, and with two hot keys (J
and K), I can delete a days worth of ENTIRE THREADS of posts I don't
care about in 10 or 15 seconds, including a good deal of technical
posts that don't interest me but are useful and interesting to others.
 So what's the big deal?

Why get bothered by stuff that Eric routinely permits.  It's
Elecraft's list, not ours.

73, Guy.

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Peter Child <[hidden email]> wrote:

> List moderators must get vacations just like the rest of us........
>

> Pete--K1MPM
>

> On Jul 19, 2011, at 5:46 PM, William H. Droeger, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Well said Tom. This reflector has been hijacked by five or six guys
>> who seem to be experts on EVERYTHING.  Subject matter has
>> deteriorated.  Days on end of what KN means. You have to be kidding
>> me. 73's KT9T
>> On Jul 19, 2011, at 4:17 PM, Tommy Alderman wrote:
>>
>>> Such a wonderful reflector!! I just deleted 25 messages - NONE of
>>> which had
>>> a damn thing to do with Elecraft products or Elecraft technical
>>> issues. This
>>> is becoming not an Elecraft reflector for product or technical
>>> issues, but a
>>> place for all of you OF's to tell us how important you are. Think
>>> about it.
>>>
>>> Tom - W4BQF
>>>
>>> PS - Yes, I know OT subjects are encouraged by Elecraft.

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: OT subjects

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: OT subjects

Don Wilhelm-4
And Thunderbird can do the same.  Why sort through emails in your Inbox
when your email client can sort them into the appropriate folders for
you.  Everything with [Elecraft] in the subject line goes into my
Elecraft folder - I can deal with it from there.

If everything is dumped into your Inbox for you to sort manually, that
would create a real pain, but your email client does have the tools to
deal with it - even to delete anything containing "OT" or "FS" on the
subject line if you so choose.

It takes only a few minutes to set thing up, but reduces the hassle by a
very large factor.  Use the tools that your email client provides and
reduce your frustration level.  I have 16 folders in my email inbox and
the email flows into 14 of them automatically because of the way I have
set the filters.

On 7/19/2011 7:35 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
> In Outlook, all Elecraft reflector mail goes into its own folder
> automatically using an Outlook "rule".
>
> In the Elecraft folder I click on "Arranged by / Conversation" and delete
> any string that's not of interest.
>
> Very quick, very easy. Keeps the blood pressure waaaay down ;-)

Re: OT subjects

Phil Kane-2
On 7/19/2011 3:04 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I guess it would be cool if there was some macro that would stuff
> everything into the trash folder except the topics of interest to
> me. Or, maybe there already is such a macro.

  My e-mail client (Thunderbird) as does most if not every modern
  e-mail reader has such a tool - it's called a Message Filter.

  I tell it what to look for, and it routes it to a specified
  folder.  That's how I sort postings from various groups, and
  within the Elecraft group, general, K2, K3. and so forth
  depending on what's on the subject line or in the body of the
  message.

  The trap, however, is that sometimes a thread that I want to
  follow will switch folders, depending on what the content of
  the message is and if the writer identifies his/her equipment.

--  73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
    Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

Re: OT subjects

g3ymc
> Such a wonderful reflector!! I just deleted 25 messages - NONE of which
> had a damn thing to do with Elecraft products or Elecraft technical
> issues. This is becoming not an Elecraft reflector for product or
> technical issues, but a place for all of you OF's to tell us how
> important you are. Think about it.

This issue keeps coming up, with all the usual replies. I delete the
vast majority of messages in Mailwasher, some of them using filters on
various things in the subject line, the rest manually. Some threads I
don't even bother looking at. Also if folks remembered to put things
like 'K3', 'KX3' etc in the subject it would make my job much easier.
What little is left gets auto filtered into the Elecraft folder in my
mail program, Pegasus Mail.

I know it is not a big issue, but I also know many folks who subscribe
and immediately unsubscribe because of the deluge. And I know that Eric
won't entertain having seperate lists for different things. So the
problem ain't going away. I am on quite a few mailing lists, but the
sheer bulk of garbage on this one exceeds all the others put together.

Think before you post. I won't comment again on it...

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com

Re: OT subjects

Gary Gregory
Oh goodness me...why can't we all just get along?

Grin

Gary

On 20 July 2011 15:53, Dave Sergeant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Such a wonderful reflector!! I just deleted 25 messages - NONE of which
> > had a damn thing to do with Elecraft products or Elecraft technical
> > issues. This is becoming not an Elecraft reflector for product or
> > technical issues, but a place for all of you OF's to tell us how
> > important you are. Think about it.
> >

> This issue keeps coming up, with all the usual replies. I delete the
> vast majority of messages in Mailwasher, some of them using filters on
> various things in the subject line, the rest manually. Some threads I
> don't even bother looking at. Also if folks remembered to put things
> like 'K3', 'KX3' etc in the subject it would make my job much easier.
> What little is left gets auto filtered into the Elecraft folder in my
> mail program, Pegasus Mail.
>
> I know it is not a big issue, but I also know many folks who subscribe
> and immediately unsubscribe because of the deluge. And I know that Eric
> won't entertain having seperate lists for different things. So the
> problem ain't going away. I am on quite a few mailing lists, but the
> sheer bulk of garbage on this one exceeds all the others put together.
>
> Think before you post. I won't comment again on it...
>
> 73 Dave G3YMC
>
> http://www.davesergeant.com

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: OT subjects

N5GE

Tom,

Email filters are not just for junk.  They can also be used to filter subjects
in the reflector I'm not interested in, like statements about us OF's and the
people that send them.

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 17:17:20 -0400, "Tommy Alderman" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Such a wonderful reflector!! I just deleted 25 messages - NONE of which had
>a damn thing to do with Elecraft products or Elecraft technical issues. This
>is becoming not an Elecraft reflector for product or technical issues, but a
>place for all of you OF's to tell us how important you are. Think about it.
>
>Tom - W4BQF
>
>PS - Yes, I know OT subjects are encouraged by Elecraft.

[snip]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: OT subjects

Dave Ingram
On 20/07/2011 9:51, Phil Kane wrote:
> My e-mail client (Thunderbird) as does most if not every modern e-mail
> reader has such a tool - it's called a Message Filter. I tell it what to
> look for, and it routes it to a specified folder. That's how I sort postings
> from various groups, and within the Elecraft group, general, K2, K3. and so
> forth depending on what's on the subject line or in the body of the message.
> The trap, however, is that sometimes a thread that I want to follow will
> switch folders, depending on what the content of the message is and if the
> writer identifies his/her equipment.

Message filtering from mailing lists is best done with the "list-id" header.
In the case of this mailing list, the header is "elecraft.mailman.qth.net".
This is independent of subject and content then, so it avoids misfiling. The
List-ID for the Yahoo K3 group is "Elecraft_K3.yahoogroups.com".

Have a look at the email headers (Ctrl-U in Thunderbird) to see what the
message headers are for other lists you subscribe too.

Dave.

--
David Ingram (VK4TDI)
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia