Operating the KX1 in the Snow

W0rw
i was just out doing an FYBO (Freeze Your Boots Off) shake down run in the
snow.
i put my KX1 in an 8" x 7" thin plastic bag.
i cut a hole in the side for the paddle.
It works well, it is a little hard to tune the big frequency knob but
it kept it very dry.
Just worked w5kdj, ak5x, kd7bvn pedestrian mobile with a 10 foot whip.
VE3WMB has his KX1 out today, operating pedestrian mobile, i just worked him
on 14060 at 1948Z.
Paul  w0rw

RE: Operating the KX1 in the Snow

Jess Gypin
What's wrong with the word butt?

Re: RE: Operating the KX1 in the Snow

W0rw
i was walking in the snow not sitting...
My feet got cold...
Pedestrian Mobiles don't sit, they walk...
Paul  w0rw

Re: Operating the KX1 in the Snow

Bill Hammond
Paul was a true 599 in Dallas and the KX1 sounded great...really nice CW
note and keying.  This end was a K2 SN 4637 and a MINI-33 @ 35'..

Thanks for the PM contact Paul.

Bill
AK5X
Dallas

i was just out doing an FYBO (Freeze Your Boots Off) shake down run in the
snow.
i put my KX1 in an 8" x 7" thin plastic bag.
i cut a hole in the  side for the paddle.
It works well, it is a little hard to tune the big  frequency knob but
it kept it very dry.
Just worked w5kdj, ak5x, kd7bvn  pedestrian mobile with a 10 foot whip.
VE3WMB has his KX1 out today,  operating pedestrian mobile, i just worked him
on 14060 at  1948Z

re: Operating the KX1 in the Snow

Michael Babineau
  [hidden email] wrote :

 >i put my KX1 in an 8" x 7" thin plastic bag.
 >i cut a hole in the side for the paddle.
 >It works well, it is a little hard to tune the big frequency knob but
 >it kept it very dry.

Paul :

How about cutting a hole large enough for the encoder shaft, then
making a
slit starting from the hole that is big enough to get the knob through?
You could then close up the slit with a piece of tape. This would allow
the main
tuning knob to protrude outside the bag but still leave the rest of the
rig protected.

Michael VE3WMB

P.S. I also had a blast yesterday doing KX1 /pm !

re: Operating the KX1 in the Snow

Thomas Martin-5
Hello,
I have been qrv from CT3 (Madeira) on top of the Cabo Girao
cliff. No snow there around X-Mas 2004 but rain from time to time.
There is a picture I took from the KX1 in operating position.
It uses a KNB2 parts plastic bag as "weather-proof" enclosure (...and
it has a slot-like opening for the tune knob.)

At this time it is the first picture on top of my homepage
http://www.qsl.net/df7tv

BTW Worked GM3OXX (he used 1Watt) and VY2DM with my KX1 and about
2Watts out powered by 8 external AA-size NiMH rechargeable batteries
(SANYO).

73
Thomas, DF7TV

--
Thomas Martin, Stuttgart, Germany
http://www.qsl.net/df7tv

Re: Operating the KX1 in the Snow

Andrea Borgia
Thomas Martin wrote:

> At this time it is the first picture on top of my homepage
> http://www.qsl.net/df7tv

Between a rock and a hard place, this time just quite literally so 8-)

B73,
Andrea.

--
Homepage: http://andrea.borgia.bo.it     /    Amateur radio: IZ4FHT