Oscilloscope... need info for a newbie

JEAN-FRANCOIS MENARD-2
Hi,

As I saw in the K2 manual telling that having an oscilloscope could be
a good thing such as have more precise band filter tuned, etc, etc...

I bought yesterday a "personal scope" and I would like to know how I
could take a few mesures to make sure that the scope is working
properly. I found a website that tell and show a few graphs that a
builders should see when scoping the K2, but I cannnot acheive the same
thing.

Actually, I have a full working basic K2 #4130. The scope I bought is
HPS40 from Velleman.

I read the manual and a few basic document telling me how to use a
scope. I know how to setup good scale according to what I suppose to
mesure.... but I think I misse something....

Any idea or help would be appreciated.

Jean-François Ménard / VA2VYZ
[hidden email]

Amateur Radio Club of Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada

Web site: http://homepage.mac.com/jfmenard
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Software for Sig/Niose measurement

Mike W-12
Hi Folks,
Is there any soundcard software to assist in optimum tuning for
best sig/noise on SSB, similar to a SINAD meter ?.
thanks

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

RE: Software for Sig/Niose measurement

Rich Lentz
If you are questioning how to best adjust L34 - "I.F. Amplifier Alignment"
section of "Alignment and Test Part II," I  used Spectrogram.  I had meant
to put this hint on  the reflector long ago and keep forgetting.

Follow the instructions for "I.F. Amplifier Alignment."  When you get to the
last step plug the PC sound card into the Speaker Jack (not Headphone as it
attenuates some high frequencies).  You will notice some noise spread across
the spectrum displayed. Make sure the XFIL is set for FL-1 OP-1.  Now
continue to adjust L34 for a compromise of the lowest displayed noise and
the highest level of the tone.  You will find a point where the noise is
almost non existent.

Even though I had adjusted this to what I thought was the best by "ear,"
after using this method and then re-adjusting the ARC threshold.  I was
amazed at the difference in sensitivity and audio level.  Maybe this is one
of the problems/reasons some people complain about "low output volume."

Rich
KE0X

Hi Folks,
Is there any soundcard software to assist in optimum tuning for
best sig/noise on SSB, similar to a SINAD meter ?.
thanks

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Oscilloscope... need info for a newbie

JEAN-FRANCOIS MENARD-2
I'm using the one that come with. It's a 1X and 10X probe with a little
switch. I can also read on it: 60 Mhz from Velleman.

Le 04-06-20, à 10:45, Tony Wells a écrit :

> Hi Jean-francois,
>
> The scope is good. I have one. However you need a good probe for RF.
> What
> are you using? I'm using an old but very reliable Tectronix probe, and
> I get
> good AF and RF results.
>
> Regards
>
> Tony
> G7IGG

Club d'Astronomie Amateur de Sherbrooke
Club Radio Amateur de l'Estrie

Mon site web personnel : http://homepage.mac.com/jfmenard
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Oscilloscope... need info for a newbie

JEAN-FRANCOIS MENARD-2
Thanks for the document. I will check at it.