P3 +12V mod for K3

alsopb
Did two of these today.  One had a subrx.  One did not.

Instructions didn't mention that the subrx aux cable interferes with
pulling the K3's amp module.  At least I was concerned about bending amp
connector pins if it were tried.

Ended up also removing the I/O board and pulling out the cable from the
subrx.  There is perhaps a better way.

Not a big deal but extra work.

73 de Brian/K3KO

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: P3 +12V mod for K3

Don Wilhelm-4
Brian,

I did one for a friend a couple weeks ago - yes, I found the same thing,
but decided to leave the cable in place and work around it (no bent
pins) - it did work, but it was "touch and go" for a while.

Yes, the manual should mention it - and I agree, the easiest way to
remove that cable from the SubRX is to get the I/O board out of the way,
although it is possible to remove the cable with the KIO3 in place - but
plugging the cable back in with the KIO3 in place is a bit of a
challenge (but not impossible if you hold the connector with pliers
carefully).

On 5/18/2012 3:28 PM, Brian Alsop wrote:

> Did two of these today.  One had a subrx.  One did not.
>
> Instructions didn't mention that the subrx aux cable interferes with
> pulling the K3's amp module.  At least I was concerned about bending amp
> connector pins if it were tried.
>
> Ended up also removing the I/O board and pulling out the cable from the
> subrx.  There is perhaps a better way.
>
> Not a big deal but extra work.
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO
>

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Re: P3 +12V mod for K3

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Brian,

I was able to do my K3 (which has just about everything in it) by simply removing the back bottom cover, the rear fan plate and the ATU.  I left everything else installed.  Since mine also has a K144XV, I simply let fan plate carefully dangle while I pulled the old components out and inserted new the replacements.  Although a vacuum desolder station was available to me, I just used SolderWik.

There are probably 6 different ways to do this, I'll pass your findings on to our tech writer.

Thanks and 73,

Paul

alsopb wrote
Did two of these today.  One had a subrx.  One did not.

Instructions didn't mention that the subrx aux cable interferes with
pulling the K3's amp module.  At least I was concerned about bending amp
connector pins if it were tried.

Ended up also removing the I/O board and pulling out the cable from the
subrx.  There is perhaps a better way.

Not a big deal but extra work.

73 de Brian/K3KO

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: P3 +12V mod for K3

Vic Rosenthal
Everyone probably already knows this, but if the solder doesn't wick easily out of the
hole, add a little fresh solder first. This made all the difference with the board in the K3.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: P3 +12V mod for K3

Don Wilhelm-4
De-soldering has many possible facets, and which one you use will depend
on your experience, tools available and to a certain extent the amount
of "stubbornness" you want to tolerate.  Each connection is different.

I routinely use a Hakko 808 desoldering iron, but there are times when a
slender tool (narrow tipped long screwdriver) will do a good job of
prying the component up off the board, and the 2nd lead can easily be
removed - for multi-legged components  that process can be much complex.

On 5/18/2012 5:07 PM, Vic K2VCO wrote:
> Everyone probably already knows this, but if the solder doesn't wick easily out of the
> hole, add a little fresh solder first. This made all the difference with the board in the K3.
>
> On 5/18/2012 1:59 PM, Paul Saffren N6HZ wrote:
>> Although a vacuum desolder station was available to
>> me, I just used SolderWik.

Re: P3 +12V mod for K3

Stewart@twinwood
Did the +12V mod to my K3 with Sub RX yesterday.

As you say the instructions did not mention the Aux cable,
however I found that moving the cable to the rear of the K3
and then extracting the PA towards the front was no problem.
Just needed to take care.

73
Stewart G3RXQ