P3 Beta firmware available- Data terminal mode

P3 Beta firmware available- Data terminal mode

Bruce Beford-2
For those interested in such things, new beta firmware for the P3 was posted
on  Friday, 20 July at:

ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/P3/firmware/beta/

This new firmware includes a beta implementation of the awaited data mode,
where a P3 equipped with the SVGA card can display incoming and outgoing
text when an attached K3 is in the Data decode mode. The P3's rear panel USB
keyboard connector is active, allowing operation in data modes without an
attached computer.

Even without a keyboard attached, the external SVGA display can show up to
40 lines of received data mode (CW/RTTY/PSK31) text, instead of just the
small scrolling display in the K3's VFO B area.

This is a nice step forward. Congratulations to the development team for
achieving this milestone.

73,
Bruce, N1RX

Re: P3 Beta firmware available- Data terminal mode

John Klewer
So far works very well!

Thank you!

John

On Sun Jul 22 10:01 , "Bruce Beford"  sent:

>For those interested in such things, new beta firmware for the P3 was posted
>on  Friday, 20 July at:
>
>ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/P3/firmware/beta/
>
>This new firmware includes a beta implementation of the awaited data mode,
>where a P3 equipped with the SVGA card can display incoming and outgoing
>text when an attached K3 is in the Data decode mode. The P3's rear panel USB
>keyboard connector is active, allowing operation in data modes without an
>attached computer.
>
>Even without a keyboard attached, the external SVGA display can show up to
>40 lines of received data mode (CW/RTTY/PSK31) text, instead of just the
>small scrolling display in the K3's VFO B area.
>
>This is a nice step forward. Congratulations to the development team for
>achieving this milestone.
>
>73,
>Bruce, N1RX

>Post: [hidden email]

Re: P3 Beta firmware available- Data terminal mode

Mike Markowski-2
Are there any screenshots to see for those of us without the card?

Tnx es 73,
Mike ab3ap

On 07/22/2012 01:01 PM, Bruce Beford wrote:
> [...]
> This new firmware includes a beta implementation of the awaited data mode,
> where a P3 equipped with the SVGA card can display incoming and outgoing
> text when an attached K3 is in the Data decode mode. [...]

Re: P3 Beta firmware available- Data terminal mode

Bruce Beford-2
Mike, there are no "screenshots" posted yet. The new RX/TX text display mode
is only available on the external monitor when using the P3SVGA option. The
P3 utility does not (yet) support capturing a screenshot of the external
display. I do not know if there are plans to support this in the future.

I would imagine that once this capability moves past beta to a general
software release, there will be pictures posted on the website. This will be
a major feature point for the sale of P3SVGA options, so I expect it will be
featured on the product page. For now, if a user wanted to post his or her
own "screenshots", it would need to be done via YouTube or a still shot from
a handheld camera or phone, etc.

73,
Bruce, N1RX

> Are there any screenshots to see for those of us without the card?

> Tnx es 73,
> Mike ab3ap

Re: P3 Beta firmware available- Data terminal mode

W5RDW
Works OK here also! Easy download as usual.

Roger W5RDW

Re: P3 Beta firmware available- Data terminal mode

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Since the firmware is in BETA please direct all bugs and comments to me.  My email is pauls at elecraft.

73,

Paul

Paul Saffren
Firmware Engineer
Elecraft Inc.

Re: P3 Beta firmware available- Data terminal mode

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Since this is BETA firmware it may have some bugs and features yet to be implemented.  Also note that using BETA firmware may alter your saved settings within the P3/SVGA.  Use at your own risk, but please forward any comments, requests or bugs to me.

Here's how to download and install the firmware on your P3/SVGA:

1) Follow this link and download the .zip file to your computer: ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/P3/firmware/beta/SVGA_0105BETA.zip
2) extract all the files and place them in a temporary folder.  In the temporary folder you should have several files, make sure p3m0117.hex and p3s0105.hex exist.
3) start P3 utility and verify that the version of the P3 utility is 1.12.4.26 , you will need this version in order to download ALL the firmware to the P3 & SVGA boards.   If you don't have this version, it can be downloaded at: http://www.elecraft.com/software/P3/P3_Utility_Setup_1_12_4_26.exe
4) Make sure the P3 is connected to your computer over the serial port on the back.
5) Start the P3 utility and click on the firmware tab.
6) Click on the BROWSE button and navigate to the temporary folder you extracted all the files to.  Click OK.
7) Then click on SEND ALL FIRMWARE TO P3.
8) All firmware will now download to the P3/SVGA board.

Once the firmware has downloaded you press the MENU button on the P3 and verify that the firmware version is 1.17,.

After that you should be able to access the menu selections on the P3.  I also would strongly suggest reading the enclosed Quick Start Guide pdf file (in the .zip file package)

73,

Paul