P3 Firmware 1.16 and SVGA 1.04 now available

P3 Firmware 1.16 and SVGA 1.04 now available

Paul Saffren N6HZ
P3 Version 1.16, SVGA version 1.04 and P3 Utility version 1.12.4.26 are all now available from the Elecraft website.   We are suggesting that users update their P3 Utility to the latest version.

P3 Utility is available at: http://www.elecraft.com/software/P3/P3_Utility_Setup_1_12_4_26.exe
P3 1.16 and SVGA 1.04: http://www.elecraft.com/software/elecraft_software_page.htm

MCU 01.16 / 4-27-2012

• Faster P3 Utility response when no SVGA board is installed
• Added the menu selection, "MENU : SVGA menu : SVGA FW" to display the revision numbers of SVGA firmware and FPGA images.
• Disabling the SVGA now blanks the external display.
• The external display waterfall color bias is initialized properly at power-up.
• The AVERAGE and MKRA/B parameter adjustment text on the external display is removed when the adjustment is exited on the P3.
• The "VFB" RS-232 command now works with the SVGA display.
• MKR A and MKR B adjustment text on the external display is still on after changing SVGA resolution and after the un-QSY function.
• The waterfall height adjustment on the external display is terminated when pressing a toggle key on the P3.
• The display frequency is correct when K3 RIT is on after switching from tracking to fixed-tune mode.
• Fixed an intermittent bug in the "#QSY" RS-232 command.
• VFO B cursor displays correctly when VFO B is on a different band.
• The auto-baud of the K3 RS-232 port works again.  (It broke in version 1.06.)

P3SVGA 01.04 / 4-20-2012

• Added U-shaped bracket style cursors.
• Added 4 optional fonts which can be selected within the P3 SVGA menu.
• Numerous screen bug-lets fixed such as thicker separation line between waterfall and spectrum, removed dark space on right of waterfall, removed hanging marker frequency lines, disappearing marker highlight when filter width was narrow, window formatting etc.
• Added monochrome waterfall color table.
• Spectrum trace no longer resets (sags) when VFO A or B is tuned in fixed tune mode.
• Added waterfall color bias, available in P3 SVGA menu.
• Top and bottom tick marks now move when tuning VFO A in tracking mode.
• Spectrum/Waterfall screen update speed increased slightly.
• Vertical white line center frequency added when in tracking mode.
• Transmit cursor now displays ‘under’ VFO A cursor.
• Trace averaging now resets using un-averaged data instead of zero.
• Fixed RIT bug where RIT was not being displayed correctly.
• Fixed I/Q sync bug that caused high noise to display on spectrum when span changed.
• Fixed jumping 200 Hz VFO A/B cursors in fixed tune mode.

Known Issues:
1) When CenterEn is enabled on the P3 in tracking mode and the center frequency is changed, the SVGA frequency does not stay in sync.  This will be addressed in a future release.

2) Several users have seen what appears to be flickering in the waterfall display.  This is not a bug - Its the normal optical result of scrolling discrete pixelated data and noise up one line at a time across the whole waterfall.  It happens on the smaller P3 screen too, but it is not as evident to your eye due to the smaller size.  The effect can be minimized by setting averaging to 2 and then enabling waterfall averaging.

3) 1920x1080 resolution does not correctly sync horizontally on some monitors.  We are aware of this problem and are seeking a solution.  In the meantime we suggest using 1440x900 resolution.

73,

Paul

Re: P3 Firmware 1.16 and SVGA 1.04 now available

Jim Sheldon
Thanks Paul,
I really like the ability to set the waterfall color bias on the SVGA.  It now looks just like what shows up on the 4" display on the P3.  Even though I'm not color blind, using the B&W waterfall allows for much better discrimination of very weak signals from the noise clutter.  Also, the nice BIG font size makes things much more readable at a distance from the big screen.

Jim Sheldon - W0EB

> P3 Version 1.16, SVGA version 1.04 and P3 Utility version 1.12.4.26
> are all
> now available from the Elecraft website.   We are suggesting that
> users
> update their P3 Utility to the latest version.
>
> P3 Utility is available at:
> http://www.elecraft.com/software/P3/P3_Utility_Setup_1_12_4_26.exe
> P3 1.16 and SVGA 1.04:
> http://www.elecraft.com/software/elecraft_software_page.htm

Re: P3 Firmware 1.16 and SVGA 1.04 now available

Jim Sheldon
I've already found what looks like a minor bug in SVGA 1.04.  When using vertical "line" cursors, and in "SPLIT" mode, the red VFO B cursor is always wider than the green VFO A cursor line.  If SPLIT is off, the two match.  This occurs even if you do a double tap of the A>B button to make the subreceiver frequency and mode equal to the main (A>B All).

Jim - W0EB

> P3 Version 1.16, SVGA version 1.04 and P3 Utility version 1.12.4.26
> are all
> now available from the Elecraft website.   We are suggesting that
> users
> update their P3 Utility to the latest version.
>
> P3 Utility is available at:
> http://www.elecraft.com/software/P3/P3_Utility_Setup_1_12_4_26.exe
> P3 1.16 and SVGA 1.04:
> http://www.elecraft.com/software/elecraft_software_page.htm

Re: P3 Firmware 1.16 and SVGA 1.04 now available

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

This is only true if you use a non-default bandwidth for the receiver
(e.g., less than 2.8 KHz in SSB, less than 400 Hz for CW).  The split
cursor always shows the default (transmit) bandwidth for the selected
mode.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 4/27/2012 7:18 PM, Jim Sheldon wrote:

> I've already found what looks like a minor bug in SVGA 1.04.  When using vertical "line" cursors, and in "SPLIT" mode, the red VFO B cursor is always wider than the green VFO A cursor line.  If SPLIT is off, the two match.  This occurs even if you do a double tap of the A>B button to make the subreceiver frequency and mode equal to the main (A>B All).
>
> Jim - W0EB
>
>> P3 Version 1.16, SVGA version 1.04 and P3 Utility version 1.12.4.26
>> are all
>> now available from the Elecraft website.   We are suggesting that
>> users
>> update their P3 Utility to the latest version.
>>
>> P3 Utility is available at:
>> http://www.elecraft.com/software/P3/P3_Utility_Setup_1_12_4_26.exe
>> P3 1.16 and SVGA 1.04:
>> http://www.elecraft.com/software/elecraft_software_page.htm

Re: P3 Firmware 1.16 and SVGA 1.04 now available

Ed Schuller
<<<Added 4 optional fonts which can be selected within the P3 SVGA menu.>>>

Thanks! Big improvement....very nice....

73,
Ed - K6CTA

Re: P3 Firmware 1.16 and SVGA 1.04 now available

N8LP
Thanks for the update Paul. Waterfall bias is a welcome addition. I have noticed some unreported bugs in my system...

The baseline of the pan trace and the baseline of the pan window don't align properly. The difference is about 1/4" on my SVGA monitor with pan/waterfall split roughly 50/50, but varies as you change span. It also does this on the P3 monitor, and is even more pronounced at narrow spans.

My SVGA output does not always come up with the waterfall when I have it set to. The little monitor initializes properly. Double tapping the Display button brings the waterfall back on the SVGA output.

Strange slowdowns happen when the span is set near 150kHz, including the inability of the Utility to properly talk to the SVGA card. I went in circles trying to update the firmware before I figured this out. The utility seems to communicate best when span is set to 200kHz. I don't think this is a regression, but I just noticed the comms part of it.

73,
Larry N8LP

Paul Saffren N6HZ wrote
P3 Version 1.16, SVGA version 1.04 and P3 Utility version 1.12.4.26 are all now available from the Elecraft website.   We are suggesting that users update their P3 Utility to the latest version.

P3 Utility is available at: http://www.elecraft.com/software/P3/P3_Utility_Setup_1_12_4_26.exe
P3 1.16 and SVGA 1.04: http://www.elecraft.com/software/elecraft_software_page.htm

<snip>

73,

Paul

Re: P3 Firmware 1.16 and SVGA 1.04 now available

Doug Turnbull
Hi All,
     I am having some difficultly in updating my P3 firmware.    P3 Utility
1.12.4.26 is installed but when I check for new Firmware Available I am told
they are:
MCU 01.13
SVGA 01.02
FPGA0 01.02
FPGA1 01.02
FPGA2 01.02
FPGA3 01.02
FPGA4 01.02
And that these are already installed.    Should not the latest P3 utility
automatically tell me of updates available and then allow me to install
them.    Any on e have a suggestion?   Thank you.

             73 Doug EI2CN

Re: P3 Firmware 1.16 and SVGA 1.04 now available

W5RDW
"Spectrum trace no longer resets (sags) when VFO A or B is tuned in fixed tune mode."

This is a BIG improvement. Many thanks on this one.
Roger W5RDW

Re: P3 Firmware 1.16 and SVGA 1.04 now available

Tobyp
Also the vertical cursor does not disappear when the BW is narrowed down to 50 hz when on cw mode.  I appreciate that improvement.

Font size set to number 2 looks very nice.

Nice to have more improvements.....thanks guys!

Toby  W4CAK

Re: P3 Firmware 1.16 and SVGA 1.04 now available

N5GE-2

See Below...

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 01:07:41 -0700 (PDT), N8LP <[hidden email]> wrote:

>The baseline of the pan trace and the baseline of the pan window don't align
>properly. The difference is about 1/4" on my SVGA monitor with pan/waterfall
>split roughly 50/50, but varies as you change span. It also does this on the
>P3 monitor, and is even more pronounced at narrow spans.

I confirm this, but the difference is more pronounced on my monitor.  When I set
the WF height at ~ 50% the monitor waterfall image is more like 60 - 70% of the
monitor vertical height.  However, I believe in my case it might be the age of
the monitor which was very inexpensive and only has 1024 x 768 resolution which
probably has elliptical pixels which are taller than they are wide.  That could
cause the distortion I am seeing.

>Strange slowdowns happen when the span is set near 150kHz,

I confirm this also.  I'd almost believe that somehow the refresh rate is being
corrupted or somehow follows the span rate, because when reducing the span the
refresh rate returns to normal. The anomaly seems to me to begin at near 125 and
continuously become more pronounced at 144. At 150 it is almost at a dead stop
and at 152 it is back to normal up to 200KC wide.
[snip]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

Re: P3 Firmware 1.16 and SVGA 1.04 now available

tomb18
Shouldn't this be 1.15 not 1.16?  Mine says 1.15

Re: P3 Firmware 1.16 and SVGA 1.04 now available

Dick Dievendorff
Try pressing the "Copy Files from Elecraft" button on the P3 Utility's
firmware page.

Dick, K6KR

Shouldn't this be 1.15 not 1.16?  Mine says 1.15

Re: P3 Firmware 1.16 and SVGA 1.04 now available

Dick Dievendorff
Somehow you're looking at a stale FTP directory.  Here's the current
content:

FTP directory /P3/firmware at ftp.elecraft.com

To view this FTP site in Windows Explorer: press Alt, click View, and then
click Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer.

  _____

Up to higher level directory <ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/>

04/27/2012 11:54AM      Directory  <ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/P3/firmware/> .
04/19/2012 04:38PM      Directory  <ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/P3/> ..
04/26/2012 05:19PM      Directory
<ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/P3/firmware/beta/> beta
02/28/2012 11:06AM        341,241 p3f00_0102.bin
<ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/P3/firmware/p3f00_0102.bin>
02/28/2012 11:06AM        341,241
<ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/P3/firmware/p3f01_0102.bin> p3f01_0102.bin
02/28/2012 11:06AM        341,241
<ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/P3/firmware/p3f02_0102.bin> p3f02_0102.bin
02/28/2012 11:06AM        341,241
<ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/P3/firmware/p3f03_0102.bin> p3f03_0102.bin
02/28/2012 11:06AM        341,241
<ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/P3/firmware/p3f04_0102.bin> p3f04_0102.bin
04/27/2012 11:15AM         87,176 p3fwnotes.rtf
<ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/P3/firmware/p3fwnotes.rtf>
04/27/2012 10:38AM        985,182 p3m0116.hex
<ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/P3/firmware/p3m0116.hex>
04/20/2012 04:36PM      1,509,286 p3s0104.hex
<ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/P3/firmware/p3s0104.hex>

Dick, K6KR

Hi, I did.  The updated said 1.15 as the version.  I beta tested the
1.15...strange
Thanks

> Try pressing the "Copy Files from Elecraft" button on the P3 Utility's
> firmware page.
>
> Dick, K6KR

Hi Larry,

Can you send me a screen shot of the P3 and/or a picture of the external monitor so I can see what it looks like?  I believe you have my email address, if not it's pauls at elecraft .

73,

Paul

N8LP wrote